Class 08s in green with air brakes?

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

I have in my possession a Bachmann class 08 that has had a fairly shoddy paint job; the plan is to strip it and then repaint it.  My preferred livery would be green however it's a later bodied loco with the extra air compressor cabinet on the lhs.  Were any so fitted in green livery?  I've checked various books and online but cannot find anything.  I have also seen few sound fitted Hornby models in green with the air cabinets but have no idea if they are 'real'.

Any help with numbers and dates of fitting would be a big help.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi,

They're not compressor boxes but actually vacuum exhauster boxes. They got converted later.

Here's some info I've put together re TOPS numbered 08's

08 001-101 wood framed cabside windows, wood cab door, external engine room door hinges, two exhauster boxes
A 102 -171 larger cabside windows, wood cab door, external engine room door hinges, two exhauster boxes
172 -268 larger cabside windows, wood cab door, external engine room door hinges, one exhauster box on left
269-542/549 larger cabside windows, wood cab door, flush engine room doors, one exhauster box on left
B 542/549-704 larger cabside windows, wood cab door, flush engine room doors, two exhauster boxes
705 on larger cabside windows, alloy cab door, flush engine room doors, one exhauster box on left

If you let me know whether you've the A or B style body we can probably sort some numbers/liveries out

HTH

Stu

I've been looking into this recently as I've just bought one of the Hornby sound fitted 08s which is green and has the extra LHS box. In one of Steve Jordan's books there is a photo of 08901 in green with air brakes in November 1974 at Oxley, having recently been renumbered from D4131.

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

First, thanks for the replies.

Stu:  sorry, but it is the air compressor box that i am talking about, and not the vacuum exhauster casings as found on the lhs of all and the rhs of some.  As I have only seen blue, TOPS, air-fitted locos that was what prompted the question.  Saying that, thanks for taking the time to read and contribute what is still very useful info.

David:  thanks for the link.  Thanks to that and some other sources I think I may have a fairly complete list of the 'as built' variations.  It seems as complex as the whole class 24/25 variations.

Castle and giz:  thanks for the loco numbers and link.  I'll see what I can find online.

Once again, thanks for the input.  Unfortunately it looks like it will have to be TOPS blue for the beast.

Regards,

Alex.

08528 is green with air dual brakes on 04/09/1977, seen here at Stratford. The air brakes were added when it was pre-tops no. 3960 sometime in 1971, when it was allocated to Finsbury Park. This loco had a single vacuum exhauster.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16587630@N05/4736165464/in/photolist-8dw5Zf-e4Dyua-8nDVva-eBsdr9-eLAWsh-ebrsex-9FNBgo-8ETQMG-de7eg3-ebrsar-bAod5x-eKFn6a-chh6GN-eQHgAG-eQvTLP-dbyp9U-947ajR-9EQTnK-asfD1h

If you want dual brakes in green with twin vacuum exhausters, D4040 & D4041 also allocated to Finsbury Park had dual brakes by early 1969.

Mark

Hi Alex and others,

Not wishing to hi-jack the topic, but while we have knowledgable people on 08s around, here goes....

By a stroke of luck, I have come by four Hornby Green DS 08s in the same livery and number (got em cheap). D3105, Western region loco I think, external strap hinges, yellow buffer beams and rods, wooden doors, totem on lower side box. Now, if I wanted to renumber these (TOPS or PRE TOPS) without full repaints my research currently shows limited options. So far I have only found 08135 from Ebbw Junction.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, John

Thanks Dave,

Much appreciated!!

Being very impressed with the existing Hornby finish (and being a lazy modeller!!) was looking additionally at livery matches for the rarer green livery with yellow B/Beams and rods, wooden door, totem on box.

Do you know whether a batch around the 3100-3200 might have been turned out in this style?

John

Archived