Traction tyres queery

Kevin

Hi,

I've just picked up a second-hand Hornby GWR 14xx 0-4-2 T loco for a good price, It's in mint condition and it appears to run fine. :)

However, there are only two traction tyres fitted (to the centre wheels) but the service sheet for it shows 4 are specified. One of these is damaged slightly and I figured I'd get a set of four and replace them all as it looks fairly straight forward, as long as the connecting rods do come off easily!

My real question is, how does it pick-up current from the track? I know the rear pair of wheels pick-up, but with 4 traction tyres surely the metal driving wheels are insulated from the rail, so it can only pick-up from the flanges? Is this why it was only fitted with two tyres I wonder...

--Kevin--

Hi,

I've just picked up a second-hand Hornby GWR 14xx 0-4-2 T loco for a good price, It's in mint condition and it appears to run fine. :)

However, there are only two traction tyres fitted (to the centre wheels) but the service sheet for it shows 4 are specified. One of these is damaged slightly and I figured I'd get a set of four and replace them all as it looks fairly straight forward, as long as the connecting rods do come off easily!

My real question is, how does it pick-up current from the track? I know the rear pair of wheels pick-up, but with 4 traction tyres surely the metal driving wheels are insulated from the rail, so it can only pick-up from the flanges? Is this why it was only fitted with two tyres I wonder...

--Kevin--

Hi Kevin.

I can't be sure but I think the Hornby 14xx is the same as the old Airfix one. I had one of those which had only two traction tyres on the center wheels so maybe the chassis in yours is one of the older models in which case the traction tyres form an old Airfix or Airfix spares may fit.Does the chassis still use the plunger type pickups from the back of the driving wheels ?

Tony, thanks for the reply.

It is a fairly old(ish) Hornby 'R2095' variant, The service sheet (227B) is dated 2002 and refers to this number as having exactly the same parts as the newer versions listed in the later sheet dated 2008 (The 227E which also lists my variant).

Maybe it should only have the two fitted??

I've answered my own question :D - I took off the damaged tyre and the centre set of wheels have grooves for the tyres to fit in!

So I've ordered a set of tyres from Ebay for a couple of quid.

Still strange how the service sheet refers to four (??) maybe that's the number that come in a pack? (ref: X8063)

The 14xx all had 2 traction tyres. The difference between the Airfix/Dapol versions and the later Hornby ones is that Hornby re-engineered the driveline to fit a different motor and it now drives off a different axle. IIRC, the Airfix/Dapol one drove off the lead axle, while the Hornby one drives off the center (trailing coupled) axle. The loco uses 1/8" axles, so it is relatively trivial to replace the wheels with Romfords (20 or 21mm IIRC). The loss in tractive effort from removing the traction tyres isn't significant if all you are hauling is a very short freight or an Autocoach.

Adrian

Thanks for the reply Adrian. Yes I'm only hauling an ex GWR autocoach with it so replacing the wheels may be an option some time. I'm just starting the layout so no rush yet! As I mentioned in my previous post I now have some new traction tyres fitted (they arrived today) and now it runs fine.

The 14xx all had 2 traction tyres. The difference between the Airfix/Dapol versions and the later Hornby ones is that Hornby re-engineered the driveline to fit a different motor and it now drives off a different axle. IIRC, the Airfix/Dapol one drove off the lead axle, while the Hornby one drives off the center (trailing coupled) axle. The loco uses 1/8" axles, so it is relatively trivial to replace the wheels with Romfords (20 or 21mm IIRC). The loss in tractive effort from removing the traction tyres isn't significant if all you are hauling is a very short freight or an Autocoach.

Adrian

Another easy modification to these is to remove the top feed. If you are back dating to a 1930's, early 1940's 48xx or modelling 1946-47, pre-BR, for most 14xx's this is essential. Fortunately the body shell dis-assembles easily into the footplate, cab and boiler. Cut and the file off the top feed and sand it smooth. A little repaint in unlined GWR green and it will appear as it should.

I never did find a definitive list of when the top feed was installed on the 14xx's. Most pre-BR photos I have seen did not have it.

Ken, thanks for the reply - I'm modelling the early 1960's so the model is probably about right for this period although no doubt I could improve it with some detailing here and there.

Another easy modification to these is to remove the top feed. If you are back dating to a 1930's, early 1940's 48xx or modelling 1946-47, pre-BR, for most 14xx's this is essential. Fortunately the body shell dis-assembles easily into the footplate, cab and boiler. Cut and the file off the top feed and sand it smooth. A little repaint in unlined GWR green and it will appear as it should.

I never did find a definitive list of when the top feed was installed on the 14xx's. Most pre-BR photos I have seen did not have it.

Adrian

Thanks for that Adrian. I had no idea romfords would fit so easily. I'll get some and have a bash next week!

Jim

• 6 years later...

Would it not be cheaper to order a replacement Hornby set of wheels for 4.50 pounds  ( X8816) ; then take of the driving gear and refit it to the new wheel/axle set with no traction tyres ? Romford wheels are not cheap !

Archived