National Coal Board - Royd Hall Drift & Royal Oak Sidings.

As David says, a counterweight would be useful though not essential. On a tractor which is only going to be used as a loader, like yours, one is far more likely to be fitted. On those doing other work the faff of having to remove it to fit something else might deter its use.

The balance issue is worse the other way round, i.e something heavy on the three point linkage. I have a backactor which I use occasionally on my Nuffield. It's so heavy that the front wheels spend more time off the ground than on it. I sit a 45 gallon drum on the front frame extension, strap it on, and fill it with water.

I know you like the small details Dave, and you may be planning to add them already;

the bucket needs a release latch, a spring loaded pin which holds it in place and is released through a linkage back to a lever on the rear of the loader frame. The bucket is pivoted so that empty it rocks back to be latched, full it wants to tip forward and does so once the latch is pulled.

a spool valve mounting, a simple box with a stubby, to and fro lever to work the hydraulics, also fitted on the rear of the loader frame and with hydraulic lines running in and out.

hydraulic hoses running to the rear where the hydraulic couplings are. It's likely on a Fordson of that age that it only has a single outlet so hydraulic pressure can only be applied to one end of the cylinder to lift it, and it returns under the weight of the loader. That would mean two hoses to the bottom of the cylinder and none at the top. As things got more sophisticated tractors had multiple spool vale outlets enabling double acting hydraulics.

Looks like a Power Major, on the Major the instrumentation was under the rear of the tank, on the Power Major in a binnacle on the tank top and the Super Major had its headlights inset into the front grille. There were other differences/improvements too.

When looking to buy my tractor back in 2000 I was looking for either a Power Major or, as I eventually bought, a Nuffield 10:60.

Looks very nice anyway, ideal for the job in hand

• Like 1

Very informative, Arthur. I take it the hydraulic pump would be fitted to the rear PTO? I could model some simple representation of it. I guess it would probably be covered by the weight at the back though?

Edited by Ruston

Guest Isambarduk

"Looks like a Power Major"

Now, I thought that but I was not sufficiently confident to say so!

The hydraulic pump would be built in (inside the rear/back axle casting) if the tractor has a three-point linkage and the feed to the valve (and return back from the ram) would be taken from a tapping on the casting.

I would have liked a Super Major or a David Brown 1212 but, in the end, we settled on a MF35 and a MF65 (but sold when we moved to Wales).

Perhaps we should stop hijacking Ruston's thread and return to his industrial railways ... although I'm always happy to read about vintage and classic tractors (or horses) :-)

David

5050 Paul came over yesterday evening and we had a running session. I had made up a list of moves for each of three locos in use to load, shunt, run and tip 3 coal trains, the paddy train and a waste train. It took around three hours to complete the whole shift, including a tea break, which the NUM insisted on.

We did deviate from the script a little and forgot to run the waste train but other than that it mostly worked. I need to tweak the moves plan :mail:   and Paul needs to practise the art of using a magentic shunter's pole. :sarcastichand:

• Like 2

Day Shift – NCB Royd Hall

1) RH1 = Royd Hall loco 1 RH2 = Royd Hall loco 2 RO1 = Royal Oak shunter.

2) RO1 - Collect 4x BR Mineral Wagons (Train A) at exch. sdg. Tip and return to exch. sdg.

3) RH1 - Light engine to collect manriding train at RO and then proceed with manriding train to RH. Return manriding train to RO [stock removed from track]. Wait for empties (Train A)

4) RH2 - Load 2x internal use wagons at screens Road 1. (Train B)

5) RH1 - Take Train A to RH, weigh empties and run-round. Place Train A under screens Road 3.

6) RH2 - Weigh loaded Train B and take to exchange sidings.

7) RO1 - Collect 2x empty internal use wagons (Train C) from RO and place in exchange sidings. Release train loco from Train B. Tip Train B and place empties in RO siding.

8) RH2 - Back onto Train C and take to RH. Weigh, run round and place wagons under screens Road 1 then go to shed for water.

9) RH1 - Load 4x BR mineral wagons at screens road 2. (Train D).

10) RH2 - Load tipping wagons at screens Road 4.

11) RH1 - Weigh Train D then go to shed for water.

12) RH2 - Take tipping wagons to spoil tip.

13) RH1 - Take loaded Train D to exch. sdg.

14) RO1 - Release train loco from Train D then shunt and tip Train D.

15) RH1 - Back on to tipping wagons and return to RH, run round and place wagons under screens, Road 4.

16) RH2 - To RH, screens Road 3 and load Train A.

17) RH1 - Light engine to RO, collect manriding train and return to RH..

18) RH2 - Weigh Train A.

19) RH1 - Manriding train to RO.

20) RH2 - Train A to exch.sdg.

21) RO1 - Release train loco from Train A.

22) RH1 & RH2 - Return to RH, coal, water, ashpit and to shed.

23) RO1 - leave Train A in exch. sdg. To shed, water, coal etc.

End of Shift.

• Like 5

5050 Paul came over yesterday evening and we had a running session. I had made up a list of moves for each of three locos in use to load, shunt, run and tip 3 coal trains, the paddy train and a waste train. It took around three hours to complete the whole shift, including a tea break, which the NUM insisted on.

We did deviate from the script a little and forgot to run the waste train but other than that it mostly worked. I need to tweak the moves plan :mail:   and Paul needs to practise the art of using a magentic shunter's pole. :sarcastichand:

A very interesting evening it was.  The sound and the associated DCC features really added an extra dimension to the operating.  Thanks.

Oh, I should remember my specs rather than practice magnetic uncoupling.  I've had plenty of experience with 'Enigma' - and that's half the size.

• RMweb Premium

A very interesting evening it was.  The sound and the associated DCC features really added an extra dimension to the operating.  Thanks.

Oh, I should remember my specs rather than practice magnetic uncoupling.  I've had plenty of experience with 'Enigma' - and that's half the size.

'Enigma'.  How mysterious!!

Andy

The Coal Board have ordered a 165HP diesel-mechanical shunter, of the type 165DS, from Ruston & Hornsby Ltd. for use at Royd Hall. Delivery expected late December.

JE165.jpg.2b7519420a73f6a1fff7f1fefd96f694.jpg

JE165.jpg

JE165-2.jpg

JE165-3.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 16

By 'eck Dave, you've cracked on with that!

It's progressed even further today. I've got the rods and brake hangers/blocks assembled and painted, the cab roof on and the buffer beams painted with diagonal yellow/black stripes. I'm expecting buffers and plunger pickups tomorrow and an order for wheels has been put in to Slaters. It will probably be the New Year before it gets a motor and gearbox because of bills to pay this month.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If I can be bothered some time. At least I won't have to add sound to it if I do.

I've got a friend coming over, tomorrow, and we're going to run through the whole revised day shift. I wanted to have the 88DS working but it's still has no gearbox and motor yet.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Hope your still progressing with Royd Hall Drift ... Any chance you could (if you have time) go back and reupload some of the key photos?  There's some excellent modelling on RHD, which I love looking at when I have time and thanks to the Great Photobucket Farce of 2017, its all gone :(

Rich

Hi Dave,

Hope your still progressing with Royd Hall Drift ... Any chance you could (if you have time) go back and reupload some of the key photos?  There's some excellent modelling on RHD, which I love looking at when I have time and thanks to the Great Photobucket Farce of 2017, its all gone :(

Rich

Hi Rich,

I managed to retrieve all of my photos from Farcebucket but there must be almost a hundred posts that I will need to edit and upload the pictures into. I'll maybe do it one day when I've finished getting excited about Januseses.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit by bit I have been editing this topic. Some posts, both mine and replies, have had to be chopped because otherwise they wouldn't make sense without the pictures. I have been unable to restore all of the pictures but most are back now, so I hope you can continue to enjoy the topic.

As the railway is now more or less complete there is very little going on now, but the tippler gearbox packed up during a running session with friends and so needs to come out and be repaired or replaced.

The newest addition to the loco fleet was in action that day but has only just been finished after recieving my order of plates from Narrow Planet.

Gambier2.jpg.c48262625a3d7fd0c6832f806ea41b22.jpg

Gambier1.jpg.ca72418e4563a5f288c3d3c58114d5f2.jpg

This, the Hunslet that has been an on-going saga for over a year, was finished at the weekend by an application of weathering. I wanted to have it in a tidy but used condition and I think I have achieved that.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 15