Extremet etchings fans - how to fit them

PGC

It's quite possible that this subject has been covered elsewhere - I've tried searching and not come up with anything yet (being an IT technician, I know how to make the internet work, but using it is a different matter!)

I've got a Lima Class 20 that I'm detailing and I have an Extreme Etchings (Shawplan) fan and grill set for the roof, but there are no instructions on how to fit them and I can't make sense of them (not something, perhaps, I should readily admit to - it's quite likely that someone will make me look really stupid, not that it's very difficult to do!).

I know in the past there have been articles in the model press about this, but I can't find any and looking through loads of magazines has begun to get tedious!

If someone could either point me in the direction of a printed article, some instructions or a website that has a "how to do it" feature for this, I'd really appreciate the help.

Many thanks

Phil

I've emailed Brian of Extreme Etchings and got no answer, I've posted a question on RMWeb and got no response.

Is my BO really that bad?

Are the railway modelling community telling me something?

Phil

Good evening ,  I've not done the class 20 fan myself , but have done lots of 37s using the new shawplan etches: 

Theres some details here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/397/entry-3810-37403-ben-cruachan-detailing-part-1/

This post shows a close up image of my preferred way of fixing the etched brass 'frame' to the stainless steel mesh:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48905-jons-workbench-ews-barrier-vehicles/?p=652913

For bits like this , a thin smear of gloss varnish makes a good 'glue' as it gives you plenty of time to bet the parts positioned correctly.

HTH Jon

Hi, ive done some of the Extreme etches myself, hardest one ive found so far to figure out was the Class 31, The etches are simple to figure out, its a case of matching up the parts to what corresponds to where, im guessing if it is like the Class 37 one, itll be the grill, then the frame on top

NL

Thanks for the replies - I now realise I made a mistake in how I worded the original question.

What I need to know is how the components of the etched fan and grill go together, not how to fit them in to the loco. Hope that makes things slightly clearer!

I think the three components are soldered together with the fan at the bottom, then the small circular part is a spacer that sits on top of the fan and the grill fits on the top. Is this correct?

Thanks

Phil

• RMweb Gold

The fan is built up in the numerical order on the etch, low number at the bottom, with the top boss going on last, ensuring the blades are pitched in the right direction and angled before assembly.

Then, consulting the photographs, a suitable mount is made underneath to space the fan away from the grille, and grille, support bars, locking rings etc as per aforementioned photo.

Mike.

Thanks for the information, Mike, I can now get on with putting the bits together.

Another job for the Christmas holiday modelling bash. Yippee!

Phil

Archived