K1 Garratt Photos

DLT

• RMweb Premium

This is a general thread, for anyone who want to add their own model or prototype photos of Garratt K1

Heres my photos of the real thing, from August 2010:

post-5825-0-19131200-1506368246_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-87778500-1506368085_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-52501200-1506368088_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-21092800-1506368097_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-34728400-1506368100_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-38150700-1506368103_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-25157300-1506368106_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-07250500-1506368109_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-54365700-1506368249_thumb.jpg

My 7mm model is shown on my Workbench thread here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35253-dlts-ng-workbench-k1-garratt-re-visited/page-7

Hope this thread is of interest,

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

This is a general thread, for anyone who want to add their own model or prototype photos of Garratt K1

Hope this thread is of interest,

I have never seen K1, but always think it looks the most attractive of the Garratts, perhaps because it is a little smaller and neater than its successors.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Graham.  I don't know how long it spent in that siding, but that was when I first saw it at about the age of eight.  

"Dad, Dad, look, there's a Beyer Garratt over there!"  A sight never forgotten.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

If you want to take your own photo's K1 and 138 are rostered for trains over Christmas on the WHR from Caernarvon to Porthmadog Services

(Linda & Taliesin on the FR)

I read that all the WHR and FR Santa Specials are fully booked, which is nice.

Tech question thrown out mainly to distract me from piles of work .... K1 : first Garratt, Carries Garratt patent plate etc, but she is a compound? And I am under the current impression the patent was a simple? Like a BigBoy ain't strictly mallet etc ..... be gentle?

Lovely detailed pictures for when I get around to building one.

Tom

• RMweb Gold

I read that all the WHR and FR Santa Specials are fully booked, which is nice.

Not quite but then again I guess you read that on Barries often incorrect and unofficial site

Official message as of this morning is

Santa Train Update ALL Santa Trains on the Welsh Highland Railway are now fully booked!...
There are however still a limited number of seats for you to come and enjoy Festive Fun on the Ffestiniog Railway's Santa Trains - except for Sunday 22nd, which is also fully booked!

Please contact us as soon as possible if you'd like to secure one of the final places on these trains - call the booking office on 01766 516024.

• RMweb Gold

I should perhaps add to the above that FR trains have returned to using Harbour Station instead of starting at Minffordd as a the Porthmadog rebuild got a run round loop done sooner then expected. WHR santa trains don't come to Port but they Christmas and New Year trains are timetabled to do so.

• RMweb Premium

Tech question thrown out mainly to distract me from piles of work .... K1 : first Garratt, Carries Garratt patent plate etc, but she is a compound? And I am under the current impression the patent was a simple? Like a BigBoy ain't strictly mallet etc ..... be gentle?

Lovely detailed pictures for when I get around to building one.   Tom

Hi Tom,

The first pair were compounds, but as far as I'm aware all subsequent Garratts were simple.  I THINK that the compounding on K1 & 2 was at the request of the customer, rather than BP's preference; so I don't suppose that was part of the patent.

Sorry, not being very clear here; I've got the book but can't find it at the mo.  

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Tom,

The first pair were compounds, but as far as I'm aware all subsequent Garratts were simple.  I THINK that the compounding on K1 & 2 was at the request of the customer, rather than BP's preference; so I don't suppose that was part of the patent.

Sorry, not being very clear here; I've got the book but can't find it at the mo.  

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Dave

Yeah, I read somewhere that the Tasmanians' were insistent, policy etc. So the first Garratts weren't quite what Herbert had designed.

Tom

I understand the original enquiry was for a compound Mallet, but BP offered a quote based on the Garrett as well. The Tasmanians accepted change to the Garrett, but retained the compound requirement. A third compound, much larger, was built for Burma I believe.  

I understand the original enquiry was for a compound Mallet, but BP offered a quote based on the Garrett as well. The Tasmanians accepted change to the Garrett, but retained the compound requirement. A third compound, much larger, was built for Burma I believe.  

Thanks for the rep, it would be interesting to research the full story. Thank goodness the Tasmanians bit their hand off though. I don't have any photos though but can point posters here:

http://emu.msim.org.uk/htmlmn/collections/online/search.php

It's the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry archive search.

Select "Beyer, Peacock & Co. Ltd" and then put K1 in the first search box ....

T

• 3 weeks later...

K1 and K2 were both compounds. I'm glad that they didn't cut down the cab as was originally proposed to make it fit the loading gauge of another line.

I would like to see her running in Tasmania, but the rail preservation movement in Australia is in a bad way at the moment and she would never have been running here.

Better to have her running in a far off land than see her gathering rust over here.

Archived