Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

• RMweb Gold

Finally, at the back on the Mac keyboard are four specimens of the new Peco push bikes. There are two sprues of four in a pack. They are nice, but the absence of spokes is quite plain in 7mm scale. However, I'm not going to attempt to make spokes from strands of fair or other fine filaments; I'll leave that to the Scale 7 masochists.

You'd think that on each sprue of four, one would be a ladies' bike.

• Like 1

I spent a pleasant couple of hours last night knocking up some poster boards for Cwm Bach. Sheet plasticard and Evergreen strip are the main materials. They should be installed in their designated positions over the weekend. The posters were scanned from postcards and then reduced in size in a MS Word document. The poster enticing the residents of Cwm Bach to Bristol had to be included as it's my home city. Send me a PM If you want a copy of the posters.

I'd like a copy of the posters for Halcyon Days please

Edited by steve fay

Looking Great Chris an inspiration to all.

Ref your lack of bicycle spokes, you could try printing some onto acetate, cut them out and give them a spray of matt varnish to hide any reflections.  I've not tried it on spokes but have done it for window bars.

Your poster skills look good so acetate should also be a doddle, hopefully you'll see spokes and not just a black splodge. .

• Like 1

Don't bother wirh bicycle spokes. The prototype ones are 2mm rod and prior to the 1940s, British made bicycles had 40 spoke rear wheels and 32 spoke front wheels. If you're going to model the spokes you must also model the sturmey-archer toggle chain.

I know a bit about old bicycles. I have a retromod 1976 Raleigh Twenty and a 1982 Raleigh Royale tourer with a Reynolds 531 tubeset. Thankfully the stoxk frame is qithin mere millimeters of being an exacr fit that would have otherwise been a very costly custom job.

Don't bother wirh bicycle spokes. The prototype ones are 2mm rod and prior to the 1940s, British made bicycles had 40 spoke rear wheels and 32 spoke front wheels. If you're going to model the spokes you must also model the sturmey-archer toggle chain.

I know a bit about old bicycles. I have a retromod 1976 Raleigh Twenty and a 1982 Raleigh Royale tourer with a Reynolds 531 tubeset. Thankfully the stoxk frame is qithin mere millimeters of being an exacr fit that would have otherwise been a very costly custom job.

... and if you can't see I from 3 feet away, dont bother modelling it.

... and if you can't see I from 3 feet away, dont bother modelling it.

I'm not going to bother with spokes. Other efforts I have seen are unconvincing.

• RMweb Gold

I think it one of those things where the eye tends to imagine those things it knows should be there, whereas if modelled out of scale the eye has problems with it.

Don

I think it one of those things where the eye tends to imagine those things it knows should be there, whereas if modelled out of scale the eye has problems with it.

Well, you can always do the faking that takes place in many magazines for smoke and steam, and photoshop in some spokes when going to print.

Not wishing to put a spoke in the thread (sorry...), there are now some very fine photo etched bicycles, complete with spokes, available to us aircraft modellers for use as airfield accessories. I know the scale is slightly out, but these are in 1/48;

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP4801B

And to show just how fine p.e. spokes can look, these are in 1/72 scale (I have a set, but not yet the courage to make them!);

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BRL72004

If it were me, I know that the lack of spokes on the bikes would eventually become somewhat of an irritant. Judging from the detail you show in your photo's Chris you are a much better modeller than I, so may well end up feeling the same eventually?

Keith

(edit as I managed to spell my name incorrectly. Oh dear...!!)

Edited by keefr2
  • Like 2

Wow thanks Keith, that 1/72 photo is just magnificent and shows what can be done.  Looks very realistic, better than no spokes.  Do the 1/48 make up into something like that too.  To me those photos say spokes in 0 gauge can and should be modelled.  I think I'll do a little more investigating for myself.

Link noted.

I don't know to be honest Barnaby, as I'm mainly a 1/72nd modeller I don't have the 48th set. All subjective I know, but looking at the photo of the 1/48th set & my actual 72nd scale set, I would say they would be much the same in appearance (to each scale, if you get what I'm trying to say?!)

keith

I have followed this thread with interest - the location, South Wales valleys being close to my heart.

Even better - located at the buffer stops stands a building which can be found at the end of my street - literally.

Keep it up Chris.

Brian R

post-1599-0-22434600-1427995129_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have followed this thread with interest - the location, South Wales valleys being close to my heart.

Even better - located at the buffer stops stands a building which can be found at the end of my street - literally.

Keep it up Chris.

Brian R

Thanks Brian. South Wales has great potential, especially for those with limited space. Steep sided valleys with multipkle lines on ledges at different levels, tank engines, steep gradients and lots of industrials.

http://www.sportgoodies.fr/shop/en/accessories/460-1-43-bike-etched-metal.html

what about these chris, they 1:43 scale sure could be made normal bike or just use the spokes?

That looks very promising. I shall order some. Anyone for some spokeless Peco bikes?

Just spent all morning reading through this project from page 1 to the most recent post. Fantastic project here, keep up the great work. Finding it extremely inspiring!

Dave

Thanks Dave. Stay tuned.  

Not wishing to put a spoke in the thread (sorry...), there are now some very fine photo etched bicycles, complete with spokes, available to us aircraft modellers for use as airfield accessories. I know the scale is slightly out, but these are in 1/48;

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP4801B

And to show just how fine p.e. spokes can look, these are in 1/72 scale (I have a set, but not yet the courage to make them!);

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BRL72004

If it were me, I know that the lack of spokes on the bikes would eventually become somewhat of an irritant. Judging from the detail you show in your photo's Chris you are a much better modeller than I, so may well end up feeling the same eventually?

Keith

(edit as I managed to spell my name incorrectly. Oh dear...!!)

My slant on things such as bicycle spokes is if they arnt modelled (or I cant model them successfully) then I would rather leave the model well alone, rather than have something which I know will irritate me. I like using some of the military modelling items in 1:48 but only those where scale isnt easily identifiable when used in a 7mm situation.

Wow thanks Keith, that 1/72 photo is just magnificent and shows what can be done.  Looks very realistic, better than no spokes.  Do the 1/48 make up into something like that too.  To me those photos say spokes in 0 gauge can and should be modelled.  I think I'll do a little more investigating for myself.

Link noted.

I have made up three etched bicycles in 7mm which can be seen on Dock Green and which are entirely innocent of spokes.

P1030120-2_zpsd27b2876.jpg

DSC_1933-2800x534_zps40f7f3f3.jpg

P1030059600x450_zps67be254e.jpg

I have some experience of working with etched brass and looking at the picture of the etched fret from the link above I must say I think these etches might well be beyond my skills. Better than no spokes? Maybe.....I just wonder how good they will look when painted. So, I'm with Chris on this one. Still if anybody does make a nice job of these cycles either in 7mm or 4mm I'd like to see some pictures on the forum. Nicely done they would be superb....but putting them together will be quite a challenge.....

Chaz

• Like 3

I have made up three etched bicycles in 7mm which can be seen on Dock Green and which are entirely innocent of spokes.

P1030120-2_zpsd27b2876.jpg

DSC_1933-2800x534_zps40f7f3f3.jpg

P1030059600x450_zps67be254e.jpg

I have some experience of working with etched brass and looking at the picture of the etched fret from the link above I must say I think these etches might well be beyond my skills. Better than no spokes? Maybe.....I just wonder how good they will look when painted. So, I'm with Chris on this one. Still if anybody does make a nice job of these cycles either in 7mm or 4mm I'd like to see some pictures on the forum. Nicely done they would be superb....but putting them together will be quite a challenge.....

Chaz

Very nice work Chaz, very nice indeed, all I would say is each to their own, no value judgements made - of course it all depends on viewing distances as well, in terms of things such as bicycle spokes :)

• RMweb Gold

I am trying to remember the diameter of spokes less than 1/8th inch google found me 2mm for plain gauge. 2mm=80though at 1:43.5 2thou diameter?. Yes well any spoke I could possible fix would need to be bigger than that so its back to my earleir comment. I think I will imagine them.

The bicylcles look very nice Chaz with you and Chris being pals you seem to be spurring each other on to better things. Two good layouts full of good ideas.

Don

• 4 weeks later...