GWR Small Metro in N

Almost finished the design for a GWR small metro.

post-7500-0-95498500-1390091891_thumb.png

post-7500-0-87100400-1390091901_thumb.png

As you can see, I've got quite a lot of rivets and other details left to add, but it's getting there.  The loco is 54mm long.

Side view of the mechanism.  From left to right there is a 6mm nigel lawton motor, a brass flywheel, a 4:1 pulley and a 15:1 worm driving the rear wheels.  The DCC decoder is in the rear bunker.  I'll make the frames as PCBs with connections routed on them, so all the wiring will be integral in the chassis and no other wires will be necessary.  I'll be printing with thin walls and filling all available space with lead shot and tungsten powder.

post-7500-0-27859800-1390091909_thumb.png

I'll print the body on my B9 and machine the chassis parts on my CNC mill.

I thought I'd set myself a challenge by trying the smallest loco that would be seen in the setting of my layout.

After the thoroughly un-riveting task of riveting I think that I've now finished all of the detail above the footplate.  I'm not sure how much of the detail below the footplate I'll put in the print and how much I'll do by hand in brass so I'm not going to waste time drawing it in CAD until I need to.  This is now complete enough for a test print, once I've designed the features to attach it to the chassis.

post-7500-0-40398700-1390256819_thumb.jpg

Very efficient use of the internal space!

I wonder if it's possible to use Tungsten rather than Lead to give it a little extra weight? I think Tungsten is about 70% heavier than Lead and it's relatively easy to obtain.

Cheers,

Jack

If it'll print in FUD it's probably not hard to do a wax/brass print of it and get weight that way.

Very efficient use of the internal space!

I wonder if it's possible to use Tungsten rather than Lead to give it a little extra weight? I think Tungsten is about 70% heavier than Lead and it's relatively easy to obtain.

Cheers,

Jack

Thanks! You are right, it is higher density but pure tungsten is a pig to machine because it is so hard.  Some people use copper tungsten, which has a density somewhere between the two and is easier to work with but it's relatively expensive.  I have pure tungsten powder and some tungsten beads which I use for small volumes but any powder or shot will only pack to ~50% of the volume. When a volume is large enough to get a solid lump in then tungsten powder is no better than a chunk of lead and is a lot more expensive.  So I think that I will use chunks of lead where ever I can and then tungsten powder everywhere else.  If I have running problems after this I'll look at replacing the lead with copper tungsten.

If it'll print in FUD it's probably not hard to do a wax/brass print of it and get weight that way.

It's an option, although I would need to remove most of the detail I've just added to get Shapeways to accept it!  Another alternative I've been playing with is mixing micronised brass powder into the resin in my printer, which would bump up the weight a bit.

We'll see - I have plans for some supercaps mounted on the chassis, and the large flywheel might be enough without worrying about the weight too much.  I deliberately chose a small prototype for my first scratchbuild because if I can get this to work then I'll be able to do almost any loco.

Tungsten beads are used by fishing types. China prices are about $50/Kg wholesale bulk (+shipping...!). Most of it is tungsten alloys at about 90% tungsten. Fishing people also sometimes use a tungsten putty which is a tungsten powder in polymer and is sort of like very very heavy bluetac - you can pick all of this stuff up on Amazon at a none too bad premium.

Alan

Tungsten powder is a bit tricky to get.  I happened to come across someone selling a largish bottle from an old school science lab but you can get small quantities here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUNGSTEN-metal-99-87-WOLFRAM-COARSE-POWDER-GRANULES-x-100g-/330819796817?pt=UK_Collectables_RocksFossils_Minerals_EH&hash=item4d06657f51

Alternatively there is this brand for golfers which seems to be available from several shops:

http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/Tungsten_Powder.html

As EP says, beads are easy to come by on amazon or ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TASKA-BASELINE-TUNGSTEN-RIG-HOOK-STOPS-SMALL-QTY-25-CARP-FISHING-BEADS-TACKLE-/111228309653?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item19e5b95095

I'm not convinced by the tungsten putty myself because once the metal powder is mixed with the putty it isn't actually much denser than lead.

• 2 months later...

First test print finished yesterday evening.  I'm pretty happy with the outcome but there are some areas for improvement.  Mainly I need to try printing it at a different angle to remove the banding on the top surface (not visible in this picture).  Then I need to add some snap features to hold it onto the chassis.  Otherwise it'd pretty close.

post-7500-0-79656900-1395848341_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure. To be honest I get so little time for my own modelling that I'm not desperate to give up a chunk of it to make kits.  Also, I suspect that I'd have to make them pretty expensive for it to make any commercial sense.  I'm not saying never but it's not going to be soon I'm afraid.  

I'm happy to put the design for the shell up on shapeways (although you won't get the rivet detail with them), but that still leaves the chassis, drive train and wheels for the builder to work out.  I guess that would be too much of a stretch for many who might buy a complete kit.

• 1 month later...

Thanks - It's been fun so far.

After a long interruption from work I've finally had time to work on this project again.  This evening I milled out some of the chassis components in 0.4mm copper-clad:

post-7500-0-72317700-1398721634_thumb.jpg

post-7500-0-67423000-1398721641_thumb.jpg

post-7500-0-02456700-1398721647_thumb.jpg

It's always a bit of a shock going from the CAD, where it looks huge, to reality, where you realise quite how small the bits of this loco are!

I've got some more bits to machine and then I'm going to try assembling the chassis.  Then it will be onto the wheels.

Some more pictures showing a little bit of progress.

This chassis was a rough test to check the dimensions and fit.  There are a couple of modifications I need to make.

post-7500-0-07735100-1398892007_thumb.jpg

Here is how the motor fits in the body

post-7500-0-06321300-1398891996_thumb.jpg

post-7500-0-69555600-1398891977_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've been experimenting with 3d printed wheels with turned tyres and wheels cnc machined from solid.  Not got very far with either yet though!  

I've been experimenting with 3D printing the wheels myself as well, though I've discovered that that stepping effect you get with 3D printers means that the wheels encounter too much resistance to roll. I look forward to seeing how the CNC milled wheels work out!

Have you been printing the rims of the wheels!?  I can imagine the trouble that they would have going round!  I use turned metal tyres with just the spokes and the hub being 3d printed.

Archived