3D printing class 25 parts .... Also class 20,37, 2mm and 7mm wagons and 1/32 bogies

Simon,

I'd love to purchase a few of those PAA's :)

No problem, I'll post some pics when I get a test print.

Loving the Phosphoric Acid tank, those were (are) on my to-do list :)

Do you know much about the wagons?  I couldn't find any pics of the wagons from above so had to do some guess work from Paul Bartlett ground level pics.  I ended going with the frame below but i'm not sure how accurate it is.

Phosacidframe_zps6fed0627.jpg

I've got a day off work today so I've had a bit of a catch up on modelling.

In a previous order I printed part of the deck of the BAA and a cradle as I couldn't get the whole thing uploaded correctly.  These parts were done in WSF and haven't been cleaned up - I think  quick sand and prime would make them look a lot better.

DSCF17272_zpsfd217c55.jpg

DSCF17292_zps3e3d9cef.jpg

DSCF17302_zps7f47d769.jpg

I was hoping today would be nice and sunny so I could do some more painting on the various 25s but it's raining.

I did give them a coat of yellow the other week to see what other work is needed.

The 4mm cab does show some small air bubbles but then when I only started detailing the cab as a test and didn't use a good casting as I wasn't going to use it on a model but  I might fit it to a Bachmann shell anyway.

DSCF17252_zpsa43d02fd.jpg

DSCF17262_zpsc99ed25e.jpg

The 7mm 25 shell also has a coat of yellow but it's shown up a couple of problems, firstly that the area around the inside of the windows needs some more work especially the door windows and secondly that the pencil lines drawn on to line up the clips are still visible - will these disappear under another coat of yellow or will something else be required?

DSCF17322_zps13bc3f99.jpg

DSCF17312_zpsb2871c95.jpg

Another item printed recently is the Y25 below that  I got printed in gauge 1 - 1/32 after I got some slater wheels and enlarged the 7mm version.  the larger size has made the bogie more rigid and able to take more weight but I think it's still flexible enough to adjust to track unevenness (if only I had some track to test it on).

1to32Y25_zps1e76d1f4.jpg

The second pic shows it next to the 7mm version.

DSCF16012_zps65af93de.jpg

DSCF15992_zps11feedea.jpg

Another 1/32 item I got printed when shapeways had 10% off was a 1/32 scale class 20 bogie.  This was a scaled up version of the side frame I drew last year.  Like the Y25 I purchased some coach wheels form Slater's to check the fit first,  I went for coach wheels as they have pinpoint bearings and the same axle size as a 7mm gear set and motor I have.  I need to sort a way of mounting the motor but hopefully I can get it to work.  One problem I found was the bogie was stiffer than the Y25 and had less flex as there are more parts joining onto the axle boxes which meant that it was hard to bend them outwards to fit the wheels and bearings but once fitted the wheels turned freely.

class20bogie_zps0e4862c7.jpg

DSCF16062_zpsbf7d05f8.jpg

DSCF16122_zps5c479b2e.jpg

if I can get the bogie to work I might think about printing a class 20 shell.

• Like 4

Do you know much about the wagons?  I couldn't find any pics of the wagons from above so had to do some guess work from Paul Bartlett ground level pics.

Not much more than you, other than the weight diagram and Paul's photos, there doesn't seem to be much about these wagons out there. I have got something that will be of some use to you, though, there's a pm on the way shortly.

Do you know much about the wagons?  I couldn't find any pics of the wagons from above so had to do some guess work from Paul Bartlett ground level pics.  I ended going with the frame below but i'm not sure how accurate it is.

In a previous order I printed part of the deck of the BAA and a cradle as I couldn't get the whole thing uploaded correctly.  These parts were done in WSF and haven't been cleaned up - I think  quick sand and prime would make them look a lot better.

I was hoping today would be nice and sunny so I could do some more painting on the various 25s but it's raining.

I did give them a coat of yellow the other week to see what other work is needed.

The 4mm cab does show some small air bubbles but then when I only started detailing the cab as a test and didn't use a good casting as I wasn't going to use it on a model but  I might fit it to a Bachmann shell anyway.

The 7mm 25 shell also has a coat of yellow but it's shown up a couple of problems, firstly that the area around the inside of the windows needs some more work especially the door windows and secondly that the pencil lines drawn on to line up the clips are still visible - will these disappear under another coat of yellow or will something else be required?

Another item printed recently is the Y25 below that  I got printed in gauge 1 - 1/32 after I got some slater wheels and enlarged the 7mm version.  the larger size has made the bogie more rigid and able to take more weight but I think it's still flexible enough to adjust to track unevenness (if only I had some track to test it on).

1to32Y25_zps1e76d1f4.jpg

Those 7mm Y25s look great. Are they flexible enough to insert the wheels but rigid enough so that the bogie stay square?

Cheers

Tom

Those 7mm Y25s look great. Are they flexible enough to insert the wheels but rigid enough so that the bogie stay square?

Cheers

Tom

Yes the bearings push in then you can bend them outwards to fit the wheels, there is plenty of flex in the WSF material.  With pressure pushing down from your hand you can make the bogie cross member bend a bit but that's far more pressure than you would ever get from a wagon body, if you put a lot of pressure on I'm sure the bogie would deform and stop the wheels turning freely but should spring back to shape when the weights off.  Another bonus is the brake rigging is flexible and shouldn't break if it catches on anything.

Does anyone know where I can get 7mm transfers for the CO2 tank, Grainflow wagon or the Tullis Russell hopper?  There were some on the Scale Model Transfers website but I think the company has closed down and the website has now gone offline.

Yes the bearings push in then you can bend them outwards to fit the wheels, there is plenty of flex in the WSF material.  With pressure pushing down from your hand you can make the bogie cross member bend a bit but that's far more pressure than you would ever get from a wagon body, if you put a lot of pressure on I'm sure the bogie would deform and stop the wheels turning freely but should spring back to shape when the weights off.  Another bonus is the brake rigging is flexible and shouldn't break if it catches on anything.

Does anyone know where I can get 7mm transfers for the CO2 tank, Grainflow wagon or the Tullis Russell hopper?  There were some on the Scale Model Transfers website but I think the company has closed down and the website has now gone offline.

Sounds good Simon.

I asked a similar qu re transfers recently. SMT is no longer trading due to owner suffering long term ill health.

As for alternatives, it'd be a case of providing pics and sending to Railtec or someone else to.

HTH

Tom

Another delivery turned up the other day - a 7mm Tullis Russell PAA. The model was printed in 6 parts all in WSF as seen in the pic below.  The detail has come out quite well with all the detail visible, it will be interesting what the detail looks like when it's had a coat of primer.

DSCF17332_zpsb68d4da1.jpg

DSCF17392_zpsaa5071c1.jpg

DSCF17342_zps42679ede.jpg

DSCF17362_zps7f495383.jpg

• Like 4

Just read this thread all the way through.

There has been some very interesting work here and the results are looking very nice indeed.

I had set my mind on one of the new Heljan O gauge 25's when they come out but would much rather build one up myself from component parts such as the ones shown on here.

Cheers.

Sean.

Done a bit of painting this today.

I gave the 7mm Y25 a coat of black paint and it looks good.

DSCF17432_zps312febd5.jpg

Also gave the hopper from the PAA a coat of primer.

DSCF17442_zps6f7277da.jpg

I also cut the ends off the Hornby curtain sider and tested it on the PVB I had printed previously.  It's quite a good fit considering it was printed before I had a body to match it up to.  the only changes it to reduce the height by 1mm, shorten by 0.8mm and made it slightly narrower to match the Hornby shell.

DSCF17422_zpsc2128354.jpg

DSCF17412_zpscefbc0ae.jpg

• Like 3

One loco I've always been fond of is the class 37 so recently I decided to have a go at drawing one - I'd always been put off in the past by the complex shape of the cab/ window/ nose combination that even some of the manufacturers had got wrong but I decided to have a go anyway.

After sorting some drawing and photos I made a start- I was going to draw it in 1/32 scale but this worked out too large in blender and only part of the model was visible so i halved the size to 1/64 so I could see it in blender. To make it easier when drawing the model is made from several overlapping parts - cab roof and side windows, front windows, bonnet and nose end. First I made a start on the cab roof and windows.

37cabbasic_zpsa3fe8ef7.jpg

Then I added the nose end - this was hard to draw in blender as there were several curves in different directions and it sloped backwards meaning I couldn't move easily in the Y or Z axis.

37cabbasic2_zps3b70d58d.jpg

Next I added some basic front details and at the same time thickened up a test and resized it so it could be printed in WSF in 4mm scale - this was a quick test to see what it looked like compared to the

Bachmann and Vitrains version.

37cabbasic3_zps6a73a7a7.jpg

DSCF16042_zpsd5d0b7ae.jpg

DSCF16032_zps1e3a051b.jpg

DSCF17462_zps8e0c908c.jpg

This turned out OK but as expected the detail didn't come out very well in WSF. From here I then drew the body and added some details - again the details were not joined to the body as it was easier to change then if needed fro different versions. The second pic shows some of the separate details away from the body including the grills. It also shows only half the shell as this is the way I drew the loco as the body is almost identical each side it was easier to do that and then mirror it when finished rather than draw and modify 2 sides.

Class37detail1_zps5805a09b.jpg

class37partshell_zps2cfbb128.jpg

When the body was almost finished I had a play and made some mods to make a centre headcode version. In the view below you can see the parts for the split headcode below - by drawing the parts separately you can move parts along one of the axis by a set amount and then return them to the exact position when making changes or a different version.

class37centrehc_zps5252f419.jpg

This is still a work in progress so if anyone can see any errors or something thats the wrong shape please let me know.

Simon.

• Like 2

Roof horn mountings or is that an intentional omission ?

That mod's was done when the revised grills were drawn for the refurbished 37's just forgot to upload a pic.

class37nossegrills_zps265826be.jpg

Also got a render of the fuel tank frame

class37fueltanks_zpse6e5c140.jpg

And done some work on the bogie sideframes but not finished yet - these were modified from the class 20 sideframes.

class37bogie_zps6e077e96.jpg

Does the pic below look better?  I moved the headcode boxes out slightly but this then made them almost join up with the nose grill surround so I moved and resized the grills a little.

class37hcmod_zps56e7d341.jpg

Also got a pic showing how the pictures and drawings are set up in blender.  It's hard to find side on and front on pics of locos so if I'm at a gala I'll always look to get some square on pics for reference but sometimes it's luck such as 37003 at Thuxton.  Pictures can also help to show up errors on drawings for example the window and grill near the boiler compartment look to be out of place slightly on the drawing when most other things seem to line up when compared to the photo of 37255.

class37screenprint_zps840a457d.jpg

This really is amazing to look and read through the possibilitys seem endless you can make just about anything ,wonder how far this technology will have got in 50 years time

Awesome stuff

Brian

1to32Y25_zps1e76d1f4.jpg

Another 1/32 item I got printed when shapeways had 10% off was a 1/32 scale class 20 bogie.  This was a scaled up version of the side frame I drew last year.  Like the Y25 I purchased some coach wheels form Slater's to check the fit first,  I went for coach wheels as they have pinpoint bearings and the same axle size as a 7mm gear set and motor I have.  I need to sort a way of mounting the motor but hopefully I can get it to work.  One problem I found was the bogie was stiffer than the Y25 and had less flex as there are more parts joining onto the axle boxes which meant that it was hard to bend them outwards to fit the wheels and bearings but once fitted the wheels turned freely.

class20bogie_zps0e4862c7.jpg

DSCF16062_zpsbf7d05f8.jpg

DSCF16122_zps5c479b2e.jpg

if I can get the bogie to work I might think about printing a class 20 shell.

Hi I suggest you look up the Fossmotor as sold by:

Peter Spoerer Model Engineers    'Innovators in Model Garden Railways'

White Horse Works, Fakenham Road, Morton NR9 5SP

01603 260562    peterspoerer@fast-mail.net

they can also supply sensibly priced RC and battery packs.

Hope that helps, the fossmotor are a nose hung traction motor like full size and will fit in most bogies although I would suggest that 2 only would pull anything that a class 20 would ever come across in G1

Andy