Metcalfe Kits

shed64a

Hi,

I have just started building my layout, and I have just finished the Metcalfe Engine shed kit.

I was wondering if there was anything that was good for sealing the card before any weathering or should I weather first?

Cheers

I find that so long as you dry brush the weathering, sealing is not really required. Don't forget its a commercially printed kit on reasonable quality card, so as long as it doens't get too wet, you should be fine.

I guess a matt varnish would work, but I have not tried it out.

• RMweb Gold

I've just finished a row of Metcalfe houses, and my wife suggested that the doors should be gloss finish, so out came the Humbrol varnish. 4 coats later, and one door appears to have a satin finish. I have no idea how much varnish the card will soak up because I've given up for the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst on the topic of sealants...

What does everybody (or anybody) use to finish off Scalescenes stuff? I'm brand new to all this (awesome Xmas present from gf), and have made the free Scalescenes buildings as a test before I buy more. After reading advice about sealing afterwards I got some Artists matt varnish spray and tried that, but it has made my models green!

This may be down to paper/printing type (laserjet as printed them off somewhere that wasn't home ;)). It can't be due to the glue type as I've done both PVA paper to card and Craft Mount Spray paper to card.

Is it worth trying to track down some print sealer? Might cost more though...

The Letraset people used to do sealers to keep the rub down lettering and shading safe. Of course, that was all pre-computerised a/w.

When I were a lad and made lots of card kits there was never a need for sealing the print. I had Superquicks and Bilteezis for years and they never faded. Light is more dangerous than damp or other atmospheric conditiond, but in fact a bit of natural fading is a lovely effect for your scenery and very difficult to fake.

I built this model of my chum's garage office about 20 years ago. It has been on a shelf, in a box, on our boat, in a damp caravan and indoors safe. The weathering is a combination of pastels, fag ash and most of all, natural dust and fading.post-3993-126693328703_thumb.jpg

Oh cruel machine! that's twice actual size or more!!(7mm scale)

• 1 month later...

Whilst on the topic of sealants...

What does everybody (or anybody) use to finish off Scalescenes stuff? I'm brand new to all this (awesome Xmas present from gf), and have made the free Scalescenes buildings as a test before I buy more. After reading advice about sealing afterwards I got some Artists matt varnish spray and tried that, but it has made my models green!

This may be down to paper/printing type (laserjet as printed them off somewhere that wasn't home ;)). It can't be due to the glue type as I've done both PVA paper to card and Craft Mount Spray paper to card.

Is it worth trying to track down some print sealer? Might cost more though...

I use Lidl's 'W5' clothing waterproofer, £3.50 per tin, on card and paper. I weather with waterclours, it even allows you to wipe off the mistakes....

I use Lidl's 'W5' clothing waterproofer, £3.50 per tin, on card and paper. I weather with waterclours, it even allows you to wipe off the mistakes....

It was down to £2.49 yesterday!!

Archived