Railway photos around North Lancashire & South Cumbria

Hi All.

Having looked at a number of recent threads on here, I thought that I could add some of the photos that I have taken around Carnforth area. Also I am using ImageShack for these photos, its the first time I have used it, so I am not sure just how big these will appear!!!! Any thoughts or comments are most welcome.

To start with we have a few taken on 7th February 2014.

tqfw.jpg

47236 in one of the sheds at Carnforth. Work was happening in this shed at the time of the photo, and all other locos in this shed are in WCR Maroon, so weather this loco is been repaired or having parts removed to keep others going in the question?

qdnt.jpg

08485 shunting in the yard

vczk.jpg

47526 (notice a D number next to the left hand cab)

ydkt.jpg

37710, 37517 and 47776 stand with 2 shunters (unsure of class) a crane and a fireless loco.

34rt.jpg

Now this one surprised me. 34073 Battle of Britain class 249 Squadron stands in a sorry state.

I will post some more during the week!

Thanks or looking

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 6

The last time I'd heard of the BoB it was at Bury, is it going to be restored?

Hi David,

Looking at the state of it and what is missing (side rods, tender)  I am inclined to think not. May be it could be used to keep Tangmere going? Still only time will tell!

Today we have some photos from 16 July 2013, Network Rail had a steam ban in force because of the long dry summer. Not sure how WCR managed some of the workings they did on this day! 

w4xa.jpg

34046 Braunton and 57315 arrive at Carnforth from Bury ELR.

dfzm.jpg

34046 is serviced in WCR yard prior to working its loaded test run.

ee2b.jpg

37516 crosses Carnforth North Junction with an ECS working to Bo'ness

a9dw.jpg

57315 runs light through Carnforth to join the rear of 34046's stock

ujjo.jpg

47854 and 57316 head into Carnforth D&UGL prior to a light engine movement North over the WCML

lhl7.jpg

34046 departs Carnfoth D&UGL with her loaded test run.

Kind regards

Ian

• Like 8

Hi Ian,

Do you know if the fireless loco in the 3rd picture is the ex-Glaxo Ulverston one.

Phil

Hi Phil.

I am not sure. I will try and have a look next week if I get down there.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian...

Great collection, keep them coming!

If you're down again soon, please can you have a quick look at the south end at an EWS 08, because I was passing the other day but could not get the number.

Thanks,

Jack.

Carnforth again, 15 July 2013, with the exception of the last photo which is 06 Feb 2013.

mcww.jpg

Rail grinder units DR79262 and DR79272

jkf4.jpg

47500 following its derailment and fire at Manchester

de3v.jpg

47760 leads 48151 and 45231 with the 5Z61 Carnforth West Coast Rail to York NRM. this is the stock for the Scarborough Spa Express

1s5x.jpg

46115 sets off on a test run with the 5Z33 Carnforth-Hellifield-Preston-Carnforth

Jack / Phil, I have not managed to loco at the locos you both mention as when I looked at the foot path behind WCR, all I could see was mud, deep mud!!!! But I will as soon as the path is useable.

Kind regards

Ian

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The traditional lines of scrap but you would have thought that the small shunter in photo 4 would be useful around the place. The last time I'd heard of the BoB it was at Bury, is it going to be restored?

Regards

The small shunter next to the class 37 looks to be one of the two that used to be at Port Sunlight; both were moved to Carnforth after the Levers' internal railway closed.

Glad to see its still in existence but sorry about the state its in!

• 2 months later...

Well, today I went looking around the back of WCR Carnforth for the two EWS 08's.... They seem to have been having a bit of a tidy up, with the pile of scrap getting bigger, and less past their best coaches and locos lying around!!!

A little while back (see post #1), I found the remains of 34073 Battle of Britain class 249 Squadron. Local chatter said that what remains would be used as parts for 34067 Tangmere. Today this looks to be the case as the boiler and smoke box have gone, leaving the frames, cylinders and wheels....

b0mii.jpg

Ex Fragonset 47355 with coach remains

lho3.jpg

The pile of scarp

4k9aj.jpg

Former BR mark 1 sleeper

9zm1.jpg

Ex BR Mark 2 Pullman coach City of Manchester

xv8i.jpg

Some of the former mark 1 RES and EWS parcels stock is now making its way into view, the question is, is that going to be turned into razor blades?

c2f7.jpg

Ian

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Today I have made it down to Carnforth following surgery on my knee, all was going sort of well until I turned on the camera, and have not charged the battery!!!! 

Still I managed to get a few shots, and even got one for Jack374...

Ex EWS 08418 - note the head board above the front buffer nearest to the camera!

jd4f.jpg

156451 arriving with the 2C42 Carlisle to Lancaster via Barrow in Furness.

59lj.jpg

DRS 57012 on a light engine movement from Carlisle Kingmoor to Carnforth D&UGL via the Cumbrian coast line, it was running some 86 mins late

il5h.jpg

And for Holland Park we have......

Ex Intercity BSO 9496

ls9d.jpg

ppzc.jpg

And one of the towers, once I am more mobile I will get you some shots of the sheds and water tower.

q6yh.jpg

That's it for now...

Kind regards

Ian

• Like 3

Cheers Ian, that's another 'gronk' to tick off in me book now :)

I can't find them all though because they're all hidden away in some very inaccessible yards :(

Loving all the other photos too, anything DRS is brilliant!

I'll keep trying,

Jack :locomotive:

A few older ones today that I found whilst making room on my computer....

22 Dec 2009 - late afternoon and snow an unidentified 390 on a London bound service passes Hest Bank

pk68.jpg

13 March 2010 - 66423, 66xxx & 37078 head South with two flasks

qmld.jpg

07 April 2010 - 66513 heads North with what looks like Network Rail ballast wagons

0azm.jpg

07 April 2010 - WCR 08678 "Artila", still in her Glaxo (Ulverston) livery, with an "F" added to the start of her name!

3vxy.jpg

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 3

• 11 months later...

With proper trains running again.....

From 1st May 2015, all at Carnforth 37423 arriving and then running around its train in the Down and Up goods loop

5WVRq3.jpg

xLswOe.jpg

fT1O8T.jpg

And from today 37423 heads Northern Trains 2C32 05:15hrs Carlisle to Preston via Barrow-in-Furness with 37609 on the rear approaching Leighton Moss nr Carnforth

OIxVVC.jpg

14zhjO.jpg

• Like 8

Interesting shots of Carnforth everytime I pass by on the train it looks more and more like a scrap yard with the line of coaches getting ever decrepit ,always liked to go to Steamtown at least they kept it tidy.Are the loco hauled trains well patronised?

Interesting shots of Carnforth everytime I pass by on the train it looks more and more like a scrap yard with the line of coaches getting ever decrepit ,always liked to go to Steamtown at least they kept it tidy.Are the loco hauled trains well patronised?

Many thanks.

Interestingly, they seem to have had a big tidy up around the back at WCR! Likewise, some of the ex RES mk1's are now up for sale. Not sure how well patronised the loco hauled trains are yet, but I think I may have a trip to Barrow on one next week....

Kind regards

Ian

• 8 months later...

Ok. Some from Carnforth Station Jc. this morning

IIJSgR.jpg

37423 on the 2C47 Preston to Barrow - in - Furness service

7xDiLJ.jpg

150118 on the 2Y55 Morecambe to Leeds service

An unexpected turn out was 48151 on the 5M51 Carnforth WCR to Hellifield and return on a lightly loaded test run with one support coach and a 47 on the rear. Some of the others abut seemed to be hopping for Scotsman!

cIrNS0.jpg

q9Io8F.jpg

sZWBss.jpg

And looking across to the yard at WCR

ROt2pA.jpg

A very shiny 37685 

SVgAsd.jpg

A collection of 47's, but does anyone know which the faded blue one is that is just visible at the back?

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I needed to nip into the model shop on the station, so didn't take my camera  :nono:  ...... Things were happening :O

First thing I noticed that was a lot of DRS action, early in the day 2C43 was hauled by the newly out shopped 37402, the day did not start well for it, and ended worse! There was no Guard at Carlisle so it worked ECS to Maryport, then 37402 started playing up and the service was terminated at Lancaster instead of Preston. Consequently 2C47 was then cancelled and 5C47 formed from Lancaster to Barrow, 37409 was summoned from Kingmoor and hauled it. We pick this you as 37402 was dethatched from the train and dumped at Carnforth. Fortunately, I had the camera on my, not the best but still

vNuXFz.jpg

37409 after dropping failed 37402 into the sidings

I then turned to notice a strange site for Carnforth at the other end of the platform as the Royal Scotsman stock was been shunted out from WCR. During this exercise I encountered a stupid couple elderly couple how walked off the end of the platform ramp and down the four foot to take a photo of the end of the coaches that where been shunted out!

pXGOSL.jpg

Having shouted them back and explained the danger that they put themselves in :rtfm:  the man told me that the coaches have lovely wooden doors on the end and I should take a look! I reiterated their stupidity only for him to genuinely ask if they go back that way will they see the steam engines!!!!! What can I say :help:

Anyhow, 2 class 73's where here and about to head back to Scotland

ODdivU.jpg

LJO6dp.jpg

ATTKdD.jpg

73968 is in the middle and 73969 leading

Whilst back in WCR yard 61306 seems to be missing a cab and boiler and 47772 seems to have made its way out and back into public view

jjs4yk.jpg

3FG2M0.jpg

Ian

• Like 4

Is much happening at Carnforth now they are banned ?

To be honest I'm not to sure, they still seem to be doing some repairs/repainting, and shunting stock around the yard. You do hear the 03 whistles most days.

Ian

• 2 months later...

Well last night I head down to Carnforth station to see what Network Rail had out and about

First up was 2C40 21:43hrs Barrow in Furness to Preston 156482 and 156451

L8Mgyj.jpg

SbSAcj.jpg

Any body know that gent in orange?

Then the reason I went down Network Rail test train comprising of 9702, 72631, 6264, 975091 (Mentor) and DRS 37604

HrmSix.jpg

qRwdJS.jpg

1sYYk8.jpg

Wks5EZ.jpg

siGYec.jpg

KB75ZZ.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Had to take SHMBO to an appointment in Lancaster this morning, knowing that the WCML is at the other end of the road I had a little trip down to pass the time...

As I got out the car...

NwhmgM.jpg

90028 with the 4M25 Mossend Euroterminal - Daventry Int Rft

As I walked up the side of the embankment it dawned on me that I may not be the first person to use this place 

FO7Fb5.jpg

Still the chair was handy to stand on :angel:

Next up 350406 on the 1M94 Glasgow Central - Manchester Airport

8FNwJJ.jpg

185117 1M27 Windermere - Manchester Airport

VsATjg.jpg

t1gloT.jpg

390xxx with the 1M94 Glasgow Central - London Euston 

ztZNuL.jpg

66423 runs light engine on the early running 1043 Carlisle N.Y to Crewe Basford Hall

oKMb7B.jpg

390xxx 1S48 London Euston - Glasgow Central

fJ8lMg.jpg

221xxx on the 9M53 Glasgow Central - London Euston

eClzq4.jpg

On the way back to the car I was "engaged" in conversation by the owners of the chairs... Two gentlemen of the parish who enquired as to what I was doing. They tell me that they like to head up there with the dog and a beer or two (cases!). Apparently they like to sit and chill enjoying a beer and watching the trains. Far enough, I have been invited to join them should I wish :O  But in all farness to them, they were very polite and didn't give me any issues.

Ian

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

An emergency trip to the dentist for my good lady meant some time to kill in Grange Over Sands and around the time of the DRS 37 working...... So as the weather was nice I nipped down to Kents Bank (Wed 7th Sept 2016)

156480 was arriving as I got there working the 2C52 10:09hrs service Barrow in Furness to Lancaster

HdFJt7.jpg

Then 37402 on the 2C47 10:04hrs Preston to Barrow in Furness service, first shot just after it had crossed Arnside viaduct

gxeDJ2.jpg

Then as it leaves Kents Bank

fEARAW.jpg

KrRMoj.jpg

Ian

• Like 5