Nile's Mostly Freelance Bodging Bench - Pre-Grouping Locos

• RMweb Premium

The cold weather and short days limit the time available for spraying, so progress is a bit slow at the moment. So far I've managed some grey primer.

post-6821-0-90795800-1547898126_thumb.jpg

This view of the underside shows how the w-iron units fit around the original bogie mounts. I've added GWR axlebox-springs to them, also from Wizard.

post-6821-0-14629100-1547898128_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Very nice job so far. May I suggest carefully shaving off the handrails at the end steps and adding new ones of wire, and perhaps adding better steps as well? I add wire handrails on all my clerestory bashes and I think it adds much to the appearance.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Martin, only problem is I'd already applied the final coat of paint before reading your comment. Oh well, maybe next time.

This was after the initial coat of matt blue, the roof and undercarriage in primer.

post-6821-0-26935200-1548023170_thumb.jpg

After the final colours have been applied.

post-6821-0-84705500-1548023168_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

A clerestory was expensive, and it's purpose was to provide extra light for passengers. If they weren't any passengers, there wasn't much point in providing a clerestory.

Are the Midland Railway appraised of that approach to design?

post-7420-0-25323900-1548028906_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Interesting that they reworked that chassis to the correct height. Right from its introduction back in the late 1950s (in diecast metal originally) that longer chassis has always had the Tri-ang overheight curse.

I don't understand why they don't just use the cleaning coach chassis minus skates on all their four-wheelers.

Clerestory roofs were sometimes used on non-passenger carrying passenger rated stock so that the roof outline of a train was homogenous. Style and appearance were in designers and marketing men's minds even then.

Also, 1) it looks good and 2) Rule #1 applies.

Edited by Martin S-C

Clerestory roofs were sometimes used on non-passenger carrying passenger rated stock so that the roof outline of a train was homogenous. Style and appearance were in designers and marketing men's minds even then.

Also, 1) it looks good and 2) Rule #1 applies.

Corrected for you...

OK, finally had the courage to comment on here. I am a long time fan of your work Nile and this thread is what inspired me to do freelancing myself, alongside Edwardian and Corbs' work. Been trying to work out a way to come on here without sounding like a creepy fanboy... Which I probably do regardless :P

Anyway, speaking as a fan of Triang models in general (mainly because nowadays many of them are dirt cheap online) always nice to see them being put to good use. The disproportionate height can look off though, agreed.

But I kind of agree with Martin. If you think it looks good and you're happy with it, then you're quids in.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a lot of not much happening I found the energy to do a bit more on this. For the footboards I copied what I'd done on the 6 wheel coach seen in recent photos. They were made from microstrip, the supports are square nickel silver rod. I've set them a bit lower this time.

11.JPG.9fdcb1a4554418b2ce5abf8d40200040.JPG

While I was at it I added some details to the underside.

10.JPG.b8cff7a38a487582be671df293627288.JPG

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 06/02/2019 at 19:43, Nile said:

After a lot of not much happening I found the energy to do a bit more on this. For the footboards I copied what I'd done on the 6 wheel coach seen in recent photos. They were made from microstrip, the supports are square nickel silver rod. I've set them a bit lower this time.

11.JPG.9fdcb1a4554418b2ce5abf8d40200040.JPG

While I was at it I added some details to the underside.

10.JPG.b8cff7a38a487582be671df293627288.JPG

Hi Neil,

I do like your gas tanks.

Do small coaches have a lower amperage rating than large coaches ?

Gibbo.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Neil,

I do like your gas tanks.

Do small coaches have a lower amperage rating than large coaches ?

Gibbo.

Now you know why some of your electrical appliances stop working after you’ve invited him over

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Very nice indeed Neil.  

Have you considered making the footboards from brass strip?  They would be a lot stronger.

Eileens Emporium supply brass in many different sections, flat brass strip is on this page:  https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=4092&name=brass-flat-strips-metric&Itemid=189

Click on the width you want, and you get the choice of thickness.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, duplicated post.

Edited by DLT

I bought some very thin (aka narrow) brass strip from Eileen's at a recent exhibition and the plan is to use kit-supplied plastic running boards but stengthen them underneath with the brass. This means I can be lazy and don't have to a fettle the brass into anything that looks like a running board - its just an out-of-sight strengthener.

• RMweb Premium

Despite being made from 10thou plastic they are stronger than they look, probably due to the metal supports. However I agree that if I was handling this stock regularly brass strip would be better.

• Nile changed the title to Nile's Mostly Freelance Bodging Bench - WMR 4-4-0
  • RMweb Premium

West Midland Railway 4-4-0

Here's one I started earlier, over a year ago in fact. So it's about time I finished it.

The loco body is a 3D print, a freelance variant design from Sparkshot. It's similar to one I did before for the LMWR but with a different cab.

This photo was deliberately under-exposed to show some details.

D_01.JPG.928a3a1fd31f50f8a225a13810176e62.JPG

One change I've made is to enlarge the front windows, the originals looked too small to me.

D_02.JPG.a736808ae79d204f2d6c17979a0839c6.JPG

As usual for a sintered Nylon print from Shapeways the surface is rough. After some coats of Tar Black and sanding it is a bit smoother.

D_03.JPG.5a548c36f04aaeae535de0c0149b12e0.JPG

• Like 12