Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

Southern Region magnificence.

post-7929-0-78606300-1507155390_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-26611400-1507155409_thumb.jpg

In the interests of thread integrity, even if the top ones are Bachmann.

Chairman, BoB. Dedicated to staunch resistance to any suggestion that purchase of RTR brings with it any obligation whatsoever. :)

typo edit.  also, pics are edited.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

Confessions of a Box-opener

here below is evidence of my crime(s), the requisite tools of the trade are shamelessly apparent, scissors, box-cutter, other tools no doubt intended for nefarious activity, I can only confess to all charges and beg for the mercy of the Court and the indulgence of all any who err and wander into this thread..

Astute observers will note that this track leads to nowhere

post-7929-0-49254400-1507170870_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-56601000-1507170926_thumb.jpg

both engines are Rivarossi, the camera is a Canon EOS-M with standard 18-55mm lens, the lighting is my usual random mix of window and reading lamp.

No doubt a picture will result, double-heading was common until the mid-fifties on the Union Pacific especially west of Cheyenne over Sherman Hill, but it would stretch my resources to do a Big Boy and Challenger double. Makes a change from Stanier, at least. :)

cheers

• Like 4

Yes the photos I have seen show it very in clean condition around then, it was used (according to Irwell and who can doubt it?) on some specials including Kings Cross-Doncaster and return on 9/6/63 (showed those Eastern peasants a thing or two) and on 1/9/64 it was the last Duchess to visit London with an Ian Allan Locospotter's special.

I was a third-former then, with a new 35mm camera of dubious quality (Regula Sprinty B) and spent a lot of time witnessing the demise of steam here in NZ which paralleled the UK in that respect., I had Magazines, Kitmaster and Hornby Dublo with to enjoy the UK.

Of course nearly all our cars were British, also motorbikes.  So railways gave way to repairing 1100s and Speedtwins and so on. By 1972 I had an AJS CSR 650 which although eventually replaced with Norton Commandos and Triumphs was I think my favourite bike.

thread drift again!

AHA ! excuse me while I'll continue the thread drift. So your about the same age as me then, as my user name suggests, I used motorbikes to 'chase' steam in it's last 18 months to 2 years of BR service, mostly a BSA A10, as I passed my test as soon as I was old enough, so if anyone sees a pic of an A10 outside Lostock Hall shed 1967/8 it probably was me.

• RMweb Gold

Confessions of a Box-opener

here below is evidence of my crime(s), the requisite tools of the trade are shamelessly apparent, scissors, box-cutter, other tools no doubt intended for nefarious activity, I can only confess to all charges and beg for the mercy of the Court and the indulgence of all any who err and wander into this thread..

Astute observers will note that this track leads to nowhere

attachicon.gifImg_1291a_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_1293ab_r1200.jpg

both engines are Rivarossi, the camera is a Canon EOS-M with standard 18-55mm lens, the lighting is my usual random mix of window and reading lamp.

No doubt a picture will result, double-heading was common until the mid-fifties on the Union Pacific especially west of Cheyenne over Sherman Hill, but it would stretch my resources to do a Big Boy and Challenger double. Makes a change from Stanier, at least. :)

cheers

And there's me thinking my work area was untidy - it was one end of the dining room table, until I started building really big planes (the Shackleton takes up quite a lot of room)

I pleased to report that the next plane in the "factory" will be a Lancaster BI...with a few loco's scattered through-out the build (including another British India Line)

And there's me thinking my work area was untidy - it was one end of the dining room table, until I started building really big planes (the Shackleton takes up quite a lot of room)

I pleased to report that the next plane in the "factory" will be a Lancaster BI...with a few loco's scattered through-out the build (including another British India Line)

I am pleased to read that that the next plane will be a Lancaster.

You will receive congratulations from the British Railways Investigative Government Empowered Tactical Technology Experimental Bulleid Amphibious Rapid Deployment Operations Team.

otherwise known as BRIGETTEBARDOT

oops I left out the 'G'   and 'E'    why do I borther

Edited by robmcg

AHA ! excuse me while I'll continue the thread drift. So your about the same age as me then, as my user name suggests, I used motorbikes to 'chase' steam in it's last 18 months to 2 years of BR service, mostly a BSA A10, as I passed my test as soon as I was old enough, so if anyone sees a pic of an A10 outside Lostock Hall shed 1967/8 it probably was me.

Fantastic, a close friend and flatmate had a bright yellow swing-arm A10 with a single 26mm Amal and it was a seriously fast bike, immense torque, for a 650 anyway, nearly the ton sitting up!   And 105mph showing when chest down on the tank. It actually looked damn good.    We never told stories either.   Well, not a lot.    It's a bit like statistics, when there are three polls the average might be closer, and there were sometimes three bikes when one of us went a bit stupid, we knew the claim of 105mph was probably close because we throttled-off at maybe 90mph.

We didn't do a lot of that though. The roads were relatively empty in 1972-3 in NZ because freight went mostly by rail.

I travelled a lot behind steam in the 'last years' mid-60s and one photographer down here was famous for following trains by bike with his camera, and we watched with incredulity once as he rode into a roadside ditch having been intent on overtaking us while riding alongside, and we were relieved to see as we passed from view that he was able to raise a hand to suggest he was not badly hurt, in fact I think he actually caught up with our train later.

Those last two years 1967-8 at Lostock Hall must have been very interesting!

The best modified pic I have done is one based at my loco depot Paekakariki with was the nearest steam depot to Wellington and had steam until 1967 but was in 1965 still supplying 4-8-4s for the afternoon Wellington-Auckland express trains, the photo was a b+w taken by a mate in that year. We haunted that shed for a while.  I now live about 5 miles north of the shed which is still a main line preserved running steam shed with 4-6-2 and 4-8-2 engines.

These pics below show a Ka 4-8-4 or two and these could run easily at 55mph with 400 ton express trains, as well as slog on 1-in-50 grades. The model in 1:64 S scale brass made in Korea by Ajin.

post-7929-0-23885700-1507235592_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-63968200-1507235615_thumb.jpg

cheers

edit, before I go and make a coffee, a further confession, I actually thought I would do rather well at the IOM on my Triumph Trident, modified only slightly, being an admirer of Tony Jefferies and others of that ilk  I thought I had 'got over' my stupidly fast instincts by 1974 when I bought a Daytona 500 twin and immediately changed it to Thruxton spec..  it was on this bike when I made an error on a sweeping corner at normal speed maybe 55mph I don't remember the crash, but it is likely I looked down at the chain and drifted onto the outside shoulder and at that speed the 2 metre fence and trees were a bit damaging, woke up 2 weeks later in intensive care   extremely lucky but T5 para since.

Edited by robmcg

The pic on message 1527 above has been altered...  at least another pic created, or whatever.

The things you have to do to avoid putting up Stanier pics!

A cold evening with Union Pacific FEF-3 class 4-8-4 No.841 piloting Challenger 4-6-6-4 No.3979 on a manifest freight heading westward out of Cheyenne, about 1950...   All by Rivarossi which Hornby owns.

post-7929-0-24430200-1507250353_thumb.jpg

picture edited

• Like 1

In case someone happening upon this thread forms the impression that there is no thread discipline around here...

something akin to the upcoming Hornby newly-tooled Duchess of Atholl.   the recent Duchess of Montrose and Duchess of Abercorn models, somewhat edited

post-7929-0-13528900-1507270671_thumb.jpg.

post-7929-0-91469200-1507270710_thumb.jpg

and a recent aberration

post-7929-0-26125500-1507270769_thumb.jpg

cheers

• Like 1

In case someone happening upon this thread forms the impression that there is no thread discipline around here...

something akin to the upcoming Hornby newly-tooled Duchess of Atholl.   the recent Duchess of Montrose and Duchess of Abercorn models, somewhat edited

attachicon.gif6232_Duchess_Montrose_portrait_3abcde_crop1_r1200.jpg.

attachicon.gifDuchess_LMS_6234_2abcde_crop1_r1200.jpg

and a recent aberration

attachicon.gif21C1_Bulleid_Merchant_Navy_portrait40_3abcdef_r1200.jpg

cheers

I like the two red ones, but the green one is terrible - I know you've done your best to present it in as decent a fashion as possible, but it's like a 1950s Triang Jinty, there's not much detail on the bodywork and you can't see through the wheels!  :jester:

Heheheheheeee.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the two red ones, but the green one is terrible - I know you've done your best to present it in as decent a fashion as possible, but it's like a 1950s Triang Jinty, there's not much detail on the bodywork and you can't see through the wheels!  :jester:

Heheheheheeee.....

Loose talk like that will have you tied to the new and improved Air-Smoother* indefinitely ;) :P

* With interchangeable casings - the widow's peak is proving very effective, apparently..

• Like 1

Loose talk like that will have you tied to the new and improved Air-Smoother* indefinitely ;) :P

* With interchangeable casings - the widow's peak is proving very effective, apparently..

It won't work you know, I'm protected by the Mighty Om!

(Just beware of flying tortoises...)

(They're a type of insect....)

(...)

• RMweb Gold

It won't work you know, I'm protected by the Mighty Om!

(Just beware of flying tortoises...)

(They're a type of insect....)

(...)

Where do you think the MiM got some of their inquisition techniques from - Small Gods is one of the current Grand Inquisitor's favourite books  :jester:  :jester:

Unfortunately a pit full of Tortoises isn't as effective, as a pit full of Scorpions ... 

Heheheheheeee.....

That's what you get with wartime mixed-traffic engines.  Of course they never came into their own until painted black...   and contrary to popular belief the reason for this was to achieve immunity from the spells cast by the scheming MiM and their cohorts.

FWIW the two Duchesses stayed in red throughout the war. This was quite possibly because they were never cleaned and it made little difference.

You can't give away the Hornby early-BR 'Duchess of Rutland' ... or at least they have been very common on Ebay and other places.

Is it because of the early-BR smokebox?  It still makes a good pic of a working locomotive anyway.   Edited.

post-7929-0-10153100-1507331152_thumb.jpg

The new tooling versions when they arrive might look a little like this.

Cheers

• Like 3

MikeParkin65 kindly let me mess around with a quick phone-camera pic he took of the new maroon Duchess last weekend, through glass, which I tentatively show here.

post-7929-0-57049200-1507495713_thumb.jpg

Reversing lever shows a Stanier truly at work!  :)

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If you like US outline steam you should try some brass models. As plastic RTR prices have gone North the differential between older classic brass and plastic has narrowed considerably. OK in some ways it's an unfair comparison as you're comparing brass models made 20, 30, 40..... years ago but the levels of detail and finish o old classic brass can still be remarkable and there is something rather special about the models. To see how good classic brass could be I recommend having a look at the Westside Models NYC Hudsons made for them by Mizuno in Japan, despite dating back to the late 70's it is a model that is still superior to any plastic NYC Hudson and by some margin IMO.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks toboldlygo is that lurking Lancaster associated with any particular era or squadrons?

Yes it is, depends which version you build either: B.I (FE) Tiger Force, 35 Squadron or B.III 57 Squadron. I'm doing the Tiger Force version.

Yes it is, depends which version you build either: B.I (FE) Tiger Force, 35 Squadron or B.III 57 Squadron. I'm doing the Tiger Force version.

Ah, so you guys knew there was a war going on in the Pacific. :)  That is the era most of my US steam pics are based, engines often designed and built i the 1944-45 timeframe.

If you like US outline steam you should try some brass models. As plastic RTR prices have gone North the differential between older classic brass and plastic has narrowed considerably. OK in some ways it's an unfair comparison as you're comparing brass models made 20, 30, 40..... years ago but the levels of detail and finish o old classic brass can still be remarkable and there is something rather special about the models. To see how good classic brass could be I recommend having a look at the Westside Models NYC Hudsons made for them by Mizuno in Japan, despite dating back to the late 70's it is a model that is still superior to any plastic NYC Hudson and by some margin IMO.

Indeed you are right, I recall as a teenager going to meetings where Model Railway Club members had many magificent brass models, this was c1964, but I, plebeian that I am, only had eys for what I could afford, and that was Kitmaster and Airfix, and even then I had to mow a lot of lawns to buy a single 'Harrow' or later, 9F.

In perusing Ebay I see a lot of brass models and it is certainly an unknown world of discovery for me, the main dilemma being that I love the look of unpainted brass but get most pleasure from photographing the painted models.  I am sure that I could enjoy some of the better painted brass or hybrid models, I have an MTH Big Boy which is streets ahead of say Rivarossi, and I have mixed feelings about Athearn and paying a lot for sound I don't want. 

Yesterday I bought a Bachmann Santa Fe 2-10-4 for $US149 (£120?) and it fits my world of making enhanced photos nicely. I fully understand the pleasure of brass, and found a lovely photo on google yesterday of a Santa Fe 2-10-4 hand-made (aren't they all?) in 0 gauge, let's see Hornby come up with something as good as this! Acknowledgements to the builder of the model, not me!

post-7929-0-48944200-1507497404_thumb.jpg

Is there not something of a move away from 00/H0 to 0 going on?  Just as well Lancasters still come in 1:72 !

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Here is the MTH Big Boy referred to in the message immediately above.

edited somewhat    train is hauling stock and further back maybe dismantled Tiger Force Lancasters... :)

post-7929-0-91892000-1507499545_thumb.jpg

edit, actually the basis for the above was a Rivarossi 4014

here below the MTH model, again edited.(not so much needed in this case!)

post-7929-0-34199500-1507500640_thumb.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1