Battery Electric Locomotives

Whilst doing some "On Line Train Spotting" I came across some images of Poplar in 1963. http://www.flickr.com/photos/78089679@N03/8420078914/in/set-72157632623842228

Amongst the images are a couple of B.E.T.No.1,  Thanks Tony "Saxicola Torquata" for the images

post-2484-0-33270800-1394740719_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-87063500-1394740762_thumb.jpg

There is an example at the NRM from the North Staffs.

Thanks to the NRM for the image

post-2484-0-33979200-1394741692.png

http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem.aspx?objid=1978-7004

It looks like a wagon based vehicle, small enough to fit on a wagon turntable.

Has anyone modelled such a creature?

• Like 4

The RCTS also has some nice photos from ground level.

Drawings were published in Scale Model Trains (I think) some years ago. As you say, the locos were based on standard open wagon parts to replace all the steam shunting locos sent to France in WWI. It should therefore be relatively simple to make one using 4mm scale wagon parts.

The one in the photograph (B.E.L. 1) was used because the tracks it was used on are only accessible via a wagon lift that was limited to about 12 tons.

Thanks for that gem of information, what can I say, wow, railways never cease to  amaze.    Just need some pictures of the wagon lift now.  That's something I've not seen modelled.  (A challenge on the way, banging in my place marker now)

• Like 1

The RCTS also has some nice photos from ground level.

Drawings were published in Scale Model Trains (I think) some years ago. As you say, the locos were based on standard open wagon parts to replace all the steam shunting locos sent to France in WWI. It should therefore be relatively simple to make one using 4mm scale wagon parts.

I can't find the reference for the Scale Model Trains article (isn't in my index for some reason) but a photo of the Midland example when new appeared in the Railway Magazine for March 1916, and there's an article about the NSR example in Railway Bylines for August 1998. The RCTS shots of BEL No.1 (you have to pay for them but they are detailed shots) can be found here:-

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/archive/search.htm?company=&subtype=&class=&location=West+India+Docks&srch=&page=0

• 1 month later...

Always found the two BR Battery Locos fastinating, since I saw a photo of BEL No 1 in the 1965 Combine Volume. Attached is a photo of my 4mm scale Scratchbuilt BEL No1. Unmotorised but due to be relettered and motor added soon.

post-12039-0-73899300-1399978057_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

Not the best photo, but I recently came across this engraving from The Engineer of the NSR loco (BEL2?) at Oakamoor in 1932:-

post-4916-0-82801900-1420507820.jpg

Original article here:- http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/The_Engineer_1932/10/07 page 361.

Several other shots at Oakamoor here:- http://www.nsrailway.co.uk/historical%20pictures/oakamoor/gallery.htm

So would I correct in thinking that the Midland Loco became BEL1 and the North Staffordshire loco became BEL2 in BR days?

If anyone saw Sidney Street around the shows in the mid 2000s, you may have caught a glimpse of BEL1 scuttling around and riding up and down in the wagon hoist. Ours was scratchbuilt using custom made etches on a spud, but I would urge caution when using the drawings, as we found, they don't quite scale right, and BEL1 was not as symmetrical as she looked.

Of course there is now an almost RTR version available from ERTL (runs away to hide!!!)

Thanks for that gem of information, what can I say, wow, railways never cease to  amaze.    Just need some pictures of the wagon lift now.  That's something I've not seen modelled.  (A challenge on the way, banging in my place marker now)

Following on from the above post, I have been having a trawl through Baby Deltic's photos of Sidney Street around the shows. I can't find any photos showing BEL No.1 on the layout, but there are a few of the wagon hoist in operation (or at least partly in operation, as I suspect BD was driving and taking photos at the same time... no change there then!!) I think BEL No.1 featured when the layout went into the Modeller, but I can't remember the date, I do know it was the year that they got Dad to do his bit for the annual DVD!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/728-sidney-street/

• RMweb Premium

Heysham Power Station had two battery locos, converted from the overhead locos which used to work at Kearsley. One in each configuration are now at the Electric Railway Museum at Coventry.

Thanks for that. I used to see the Kersley locos regularly and thought they had been scrapped. Now I live quite close to Heysham! Looks like I'll have to go to Coventry!

• Like 1

So would I correct in thinking that the Midland Loco became BEL1 and the North Staffordshire loco became BEL2 in BR days?

The Midland Railway built one at Derby in 1914, which became LMS 1550 and renumbered as BEL No. 1 by BR in 1951.  (It had been provisionally allocated the number 41550 in 1948, but it didn't carry this number).  After working working on the wagon hoist at West India Dock, it was cut up at Poplar (by scrap dealers A. King of Norwich) in 1964.

The North Staffordshire example was built at Stoke in 1917.  It appeared to carry its original NSR No. 1 until 1954, when it was renumbered BEL 2.  It spent its life at Oakamore until withdrawal in 1963.  Happily it has been preserved and forms part of the National Collection.

The Battery Electric steeple cab was once widespread, if not particularly common.  Several examples were built for industry both here in the UK and in other countries.

Remember London Underground has a large fleet of battery electric locos, BR had the converted 501 motor coaches for use on the  Northern City line during rebuilding. they were capable of over 50 mph on battery power on the surface. I speak from experience.

Have to check my books but I think there was one at Guardbridge mills in Fife.

Yes, it was built by English Electric in 1924 and sold for scrap in 1973.

There used to be one at Garret's works in Leiston on what is now the sizewell branch. There is a photo of it in diesels in east Anglia

Built by Metropolitan Vickers in 1927 and acquired second hand from County Durham in 1962, it was also scrapped in 1973.

Similar locomotives were being built in Italy into the 1940s.  This is Industrie Elettriche (TIBB 4758/1940) at a factory near Domodossola in 1981.

post-10122-0-57250300-1420669574_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it was built by English Electric in 1924 and sold for scrap in 1973

Thanks for that EddieB, it's covered in the Oakwood press 'St Andrews Railway' but couldn't find my copy to check

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

Thanks for that. I used to see the Kersley locos regularly and thought they had been scrapped. Now I live quite close to Heysham! Looks like I'll have to go to Coventry!

The engineer responsible for decommisioning Kearsley was a railway enthusiast and tried to rehome the locos. If I remember rightly, two went to Heysham and one went to the Musuem of Science and Industry at Manchester originally and was later evicted and lived a somewhat nomadic existence before arriving at Coventry. One of the Heysham locos also ended up at Coventry, but I don't know what happened to the other - it may still be at Heysham!

Another oddity of the Kearsley system was that on at least one occasion Blackpool Tramway had sent a tram away for a major overhaul. Rather than test it at Blackpool and run the risk of it failing in the middle of the Prom,they sent it to Kearsley (which operated on the same voltage) and ran it round the power station! (information provided by my father, who used to work at Kearsley PS on occasion).