RAEL-DALE VALLEY Railway, building, modelling, signalling and more

model-trains

This is where the layout is controlled from

The DCC Bus wires come from beneath the layout to the cable connector. From here the flexible cables supplied with the eLink connect the DCC Bus to the eLink box and the USB cable from the eLink box to the laptop.

The 15 switches are wired in but not connected yet. The lighting bus is also wired in ready. The switches will control buffer lighting to sidings, burger bar, cars on road and cars in car park. They will also control street lighting (in position)

and station lighting (to do). Plus they will also control lighting in some of the houses. Thee is he lighting bus and over 100 feet of wires below the switches, all tagged ready for when I have the board lifted again.

post-21331-0-05490000-1397412381_thumb.jpg

here is another image of the Control centre and a view down the layout

post-21331-0-88243300-1397412742_thumb.jpg

This is where it is controlled from.

post-21331-0-28054700-1397412802_thumb.jpg

The layout in RailMaster software (version 1.55) I add the version number as version 1.56 upgrade is due soon and so is the RailMaster Pro version which I will obtain as soon as available, we are told it will be ready for download April/May. Version 1.56 will be a free upgrade, RailMaster Pro we believe will be about £30. 

Signals are added to the layout in the software but not on the layout yet. Version 1.55 only includes a 2 aspect signal, there are two signals together on the layout screen as I was testing a few things out.  We understand that RailMaster Pro will include for more signalling options, I am sure there will be 3 and 4 aspect but we have to wait and see if feather signals and sidings signals are included.  These will be changed as soon as the new version of RM is available.

You certainly have looked at all the aspects of a layout.This is looking nice.

Long way to go yet Jaz, thanks for your kind comments.

Almost every area is at stage 1. Meaning I have to go back to it to do more. The river, the grass, etc, etc. Trouble is I can't finish one bit before i start the next because, i need to satisfy myself I am progressing, I need to see things happening. It wouldn't be right for one corner to be right and nothing else where. I don't think I have done to bad for just over 5 months but, I do need to get more done though, so I have time for signals and loco detection. They will be done in stages as they are a little costly in one go. I am working out how I will do it in the background. ;o)

Trees have now been added behind the station wall to set off the foreground from the back ground.

post-21331-0-58907000-1397847111_thumb.jpg

Viewed from side panel/back ground scene

post-21331-0-07277600-1397847236_thumb.jpg

A view across the layout.. Opps Hornby DCC Handbook!

post-21331-0-44107100-1397847343_thumb.jpg

The colour of the trees were chosen to contrast with the back ground. Woodland scenic trees.

The Railway Inn is in the distance and has now been fenced off. Weeds and grass will all be added later.

Following on from the RailWay Inn and the station on the background scene, I now start to create the basic frame for a hill in the corner.

post-21331-0-06163800-1397847690_thumb.jpg

Not glued down yet. I will first prepare the frame and then do final shaping before gluing down and adding top layer.

post-21331-0-04736600-1397847798_thumb.jpg

This can now start to harden up over night. Simple and light weight.    :sungum:

Preparing for signalling, comments always welcome

Hornby are to provide RailMaster Pro, we believe sometime in April/May this year. One of the improvements, at last, will be multi-aspect signals, at present we do not know how far they will go but I think they will include 2, 3 and 4 aspect Hopefully feathers (now I am hoping) and hopefully ground signals (I guess I am really hoping now). But at least there is progress so I am preparing and considering all options.

Here is the updated layout, it also shows the hill and tunnel area so signals will have to look ahead from either end.

post-21331-0-67955700-1397849235_thumb.jpg

There are also going to be additional improvements to layout design so this will help make the schematic design more like the layout. For now signals are included in the image but only two aspect below (all the system allows until the update software)

post-21331-0-71707400-1397849336_thumb.jpg

There are also blue squares positioned on the layout, these are preparing for loco detection later this year and are current estimates for sensor location. Again comments always welcome

Thank you for viewing. 

A friend was saying to me today regards decent view figures versus lack of replies. People view if they like you, and if they are happy with what you produce they don't need to post. Maybe if you could put up some rubbish you might get comments..... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

A friend was saying to me today regards decent view figures versus lack of replies. People view if they like you, and if they are happy with what you produce they don't need to post. Maybe if you could put up some rubbish you might get comments..... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I Jaz

I thought I talked rubbish most of the time.

My other half, second in command who thinks she is boss says I do.

I can't believe her though.  Yes love I am coming right now.  :blush:

PJ

Following on from the post above 18 April.

I have chosen to create a hill with paper and card instead of foam, more of a challenge to vary the way it is done, this hill doesn't have trees so it should be relatively easy.

First I created a honey comb type of frame with card board, it is very light. then using pieces of paper about 1.5" wide I glued them to the card board. (see above)

post-21331-0-21783800-1398156178_thumb.jpg

I always like to emulsion the items, vinyl emulsion binds together the surface, it also starts to look the part.

post-21331-0-70688300-1398156287_thumb.jpg

Note the colours are only temporary, the grey areas are going to be rock protruding through the ground and will be prepared shortly, the green will be covered in static grass.

A gate will be added side of the station wall and the Jarvis dry stone wall sections added along the bottom. It will come together. I may even add a hedge behind the wall and some shrubs in the grassed areas. Watch this space.

A little more work to the station car park

3 Hornby Skale Scenic sycamore trees to the grassed area near to the bus stop.

post-21331-0-50374600-1398156732_thumb.jpg

They are a little more random and woody than some of the other tree types. I have also done a little bending and twisting to make them look more real and not to perfect looking. These Hornby trees are really good.

I will need to come back to these later and do a little weathering under the trees and different colours to allow for leaf droppings etc

I like those sycamore trees we have some in 2 sizes on our layout.I thought them cost effective, and decent looking.

Hornby products, I find, are usually good. Supplies have been slow, as we know but, I do believe before the year is out they will be shall I say almost up to steam. New RailMaster April/May, Loco detection later in the year, TTS sound locos September, etc. They have a good hand lets hope they play it well.

They have been sourcing new suppliers, I noticed the trees were not made in China but Taiwan.

Ok let's have a go.

On the whole the signalling looks very good. There's only two points I've picked up on.

Just for reference I'll describe how the signal feathers are numbered. If you look at a signal face on they are as follows:

Left hand side

Route 1 45 degree upwards

Route 2 horizontal

Route 3 45 degree downwards

Right hand side

Route 4 45 degree upwards

Route 5 horizontal

Route 6 45 degree downwards.

Now the signal that takes you into Skiptone station only has a number one feather so the driver would have no indication which platform he would be going into. Normally in these situations the signal would be fitted with a theatre box indicator which would give a number for the platform the train has been routed into. Alternatively you could have the signal with route indicators 4, 5, and 6 on which would route you into each individual platform.

To gain access to the yard the signal would be fitted with an associated position light signal as these lines would be permissive as there could be already vehicles stabled there.

The only other thing I've noted is the signal leaving Oxenholm platform 3, assuming main direction of travel is the blue line, this signal should have a number 4 feather rather than a number one indicator. Apart from that everything else looks good.

Hope this has been of some help.

Cheers

Marcus

Ok let's have a go.

On the whole the signalling looks very good. There's only two points I've picked up on.

Just for reference I'll describe how the signal feathers are numbered. If you look at a signal face on they are as follows:

Left hand side

Route 2 horizontal

Right hand side

Route 5 horizontal

Now the signal that takes you into Skiptone station only has a number one feather so the driver would have no indication which platform he would be going into. Normally in these situations the signal would be fitted with a theatre box indicator which would give a number for the platform the train has been routed into. Alternatively you could have the signal with route indicators 4, 5, and 6 on which would route you into each individual platform.

To gain access to the yard the signal would be fitted with an associated position light signal as these lines would be permissive as there could be already vehicles stabled there.

The only other thing I've noted is the signal leaving Oxenholm platform 3, assuming main direction of travel is the blue line, this signal should have a number 4 feather rather than a number one indicator. Apart from that everything else looks good.

Cheers

Marcus

Nice. It in small bite sizes like this...some of us numpties (well I am on signals certainly) might start to feel brave enough to put them out...and avoid getting shot down in flames :sungum:

Following on with the small corner hill, I will come back to the Signals shortly.

The hill is now formed, the rocks are protruding (see details in post later today)

The wall has been secured and the area from the wall to the layout has been emulsioned with brown vinyl emulsion for now.

Note the hill is fixed to the layout and does not fix to the side panels which are removable.

post-21331-0-36368400-1398423573_thumb.jpg

Here is another view. I always vinyl matt emulsion the surfaces, they start to look similar to what I am aiming for but, they also add a vinyl surface which binds it all together.

post-21331-0-20288000-1398423672_thumb.jpg

It is starting to take shape, static grass next.

her we have the static grass applied.

A mixture of 5mm summer meadow, 5mm ochre and 2.5mm summer.

These were mixed together but, this time not fully I kept variances in the mix so they came out like that.

Believe it or not the rocks were a squirt of no nails glue, smoothed with a wet finger that scratched with a pin. I used two grey emulsions Nichol and slate grey and painted them one after the other without letting the first coat dry to much.

post-21331-0-72151300-1398424035_thumb.jpg

The area between the layout and the base of the wall as first done in 2.5mm summer green then when dry done with 5mm Ochre to it hopefully gives it a scorched dry look.

Below we have another image with Hornby sheep. They are not secured yet, the plastic bases need trimming or cutting off then fitting with a small amount of adhesive. I will do this later.

post-21331-0-51623900-1398424223_thumb.jpg

The clumps in the grass were created by applying the adhesive for the static grass, adding some grass and twisting it in a brush with the glue then applying a little more adhesive over it before the final layer of static grass.

It has come a fair way from the cardboard and pieces of printer paper shown in the image about a week ago. 

Ok let's have a go.

Left hand side

Route 2 horizontal

Right hand side

Route 5 horizontal

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus

Many thanks for your comments, I will take a look later today. You have been a great help, thanks again.   :good:

PJ

Ok let's have a go.

Left hand side

Route 2 horizontal

Right hand side

Route 5 horizontal

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus

I am looking at your comments in more detail. For the benefit of others reading later, these are light signals not semaphores.

Correct me if I get anything wrong here as you say signalling is a minefield  :scratchhead:

A - a standard signal with no lights on the feather means straight ahead (unless stop due to a red light)

1 - Route Indicator 1 - Position - 1 --- this means driver take first left route

post-21331-0-73987200-1398529817.jpg.

2 - Route indicator 2 - Position - 2 --- this means driver take second left route

post-21331-0-79198800-1398529930.jpg

Following on from this we have the 6 route numbers for the indicator feathers

post-21331-0-54275300-1398529941.gif

B - below is a simple Alpha-Numeric indicator for platform number (also called a Theatre type indicator) though these can vary.

post-21331-0-77687000-1398530070.gif

Model trains have a lot of catching up to do and although multi-aspect signals may be available in RailMaster soon we do not know until the upgrade (April/May 2014) whether feathers will be included. Theatre type signals and may be sidings signals may not be available for RailMaster yet.

Now back to double check my layout  :sungum:

PJ

Ok let's have a go.

Left hand side

Route 2 horizontal

Right hand side

Route 5 horizontal

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus

I have updated my layout plan to take into account your valued comments.  I have marked on the signal feathers the route numbers each

You said... Now the signal that takes you into Skiptone station only has a number one feather  not a criticism, please don't take it at such, but I think you meant a number four (correct me if I am wrong though.)

post-21331-0-58623800-1398532603_thumb.jpg

For Skiptone station I have put this down for either a 4,5,6 as you say or a 4 with an additional signal prior to the station with a 1 and a 4 feather. (I am not sure without speaking to a supplier if three feathers on a model signal may be to bulky.)

For Oxenholm station 3 departure I have changed the feather to a four route as you suggest.

One item that is missing, I am aware of is, there is no signal west of Settell station, before the points, after leaving the tunnel. I have left this off as it is not seen by the controller (me). The layout is controlled from the south est corner.  I could have put a semaphore signal here but it would not be in keeping with signals in that area.

Comments always welcome.

Thanks for your help.

PJ

Hi Marcus

Looking at it again, another option could be to back to back signal heads with the 3 station platform exit signals.

Probably not much difference in cost against a signal and two feathers. It would be less clutter and aesthetically pleasing from the control point in the south east corner may be a better choice.

Having said that there is a group of trees on the land where I have put the inward signal on the plan, so again, back to back heads sounds better.

post-21331-0-28053300-1398535476_thumb.jpg

PJ

Archived