Chard Junction Station

Peter Bedding

The following photos were taken, by a sadly-deceased member of the SWC,  as part of an extensive photo-survey during the mid-1970s. The outcome was an EM scale loft layout of Chard Junction.  The layout has not survived the passage of time, though a number of the rolling stock models - and the inspiration - have done so.

post-489-0-02678400-1395155862.jpg

post-489-0-41349500-1395156178.jpg

post-489-0-68300400-1395156195.jpg

post-489-0-99104300-1395156222.jpg

post-489-0-42517400-1395156240.jpg

post-489-0-84580300-1395156272_thumb.jpg

It's a shame that the Goods Shed was demolished a few years ago - I was interested in buying it to convert into a house. And the only remaining evidence of the station building is (or was) a small section of tiled floor, which from the pattern I assume was the booking office or waiting room.

Ah, home sweet home - grew up in the nearby village and that was my local "spotting spot" - although I was born after the station became disused.

Many a summer Saturday as a child at the Chard Road Tavern (latterly the Three Counties inn, now closed) watching 33's and 50's thunder through, and I remember the day I realised that I was tall enough to stand on the fire hydrant marker to look over the concrete wall to see trains coming in from the east.  Family were friends with long-deceased Sid Gilham of Axminster who was signalman there for many years.  I remember him letting me up in the box a few times, and when the 80's "HST diversions" came through his brother was one of the drivers and occasionally I'd get to sit in the cab whilst waiting for the passing service.

Until about 10 years ago, when the pub car park was resurfaced, you could see the wheel marks from when the brake van ran away from Chard station, down the branch, through the buffers and embedded itself in the corner of the pub.

• 3 months later...

Whilst ferretting in a cupboard for other hidden treasure, I found some more of my Chard Junction archive. As said above, they were bequeathed to me on behalf of a deceased collector/historian, in turn a friend/associate of the late Ted West. Too many for one sitting, so there will be several postings.

PB

post-489-0-24347400-1403185621.jpg

post-489-0-62066300-1403185640.jpg

post-489-0-87095300-1403185664.jpg

post-489-0-71645600-1403185740.jpg

post-489-0-12971900-1403185761_thumb.jpg

I like the shot of the milk tankers outside the creamery. I don't think that I have seen a shot from that angle before. Do you know if it crops up in any more shots?

I've not seen many images at all taken from the westbound platform (the one that no longer exists rather than the disused one the signalbox was on).

I believe that there were other photos in this archive, but - sadly - not all are in my possession now. I have made digital copies of as many as I can, and if I can trace any more they will be shown on this forum. But very pleased that these have been of interest.

PB

• 1 year later...

So would I, I am just about to start a project to build a model of Chard junction ( my first attempt after returning to modeling was Hatch Station) I live in Denmark so taking my own photos is a bit expensive :-)

Should anyone be interested, I commissioned York Modelmaking to produce a 4mm kit for Chard goods shed from the SWC drawings. I am part way through constructing it myself so no finished article pictures available but could probably manage to email some to interested parties.

I have also had them produce the LSWR 'saw-tooth' valance in 4mm for Y&E station canopies. 

I am willing to discuss pricing a production run of these items with York if there is interest but please bear in mind that 1) the set up cost for the shed kit was over £200 and the cost of a copy in a limited run of two or three copies is going to be well into 3 digits, and 2) you will need to invest time and effort to build it.

It does, however, give you a big head start on producing a robust, iconic structure for the Yeovil & Exeter stations plus Topsham and any 'what might have been' schemes. The structure is fine, laser-cut mdf with plastic sheet pre-cut overlays, doors, windows and pre-formed office chimney.  

Should anyone be interested, I commissioned York Modelmaking to produce a 4mm kit for Chard goods shed from the SWC drawings. I am part way through constructing it myself so no finished article pictures available but could probably manage to email some to interested parties.

I have also had them produce the LSWR 'saw-tooth' valance in 4mm for Y&E station canopies. 

I am willing to discuss pricing a production run of these items with York if there is interest but please bear in mind that 1) the set up cost for the shed kit was over £200 and the cost of a copy in a limited run of two or three copies is going to be well into 3 digits, and 2) you will need to invest time and effort to build it.

It does, however, give you a big head start on producing a robust, iconic structure for the Yeovil & Exeter stations plus Topsham and any 'what might have been' schemes. The structure is fine, laser-cut mdf with plastic sheet pre-cut overlays, doors, windows and pre-formed office chimney.  

Hello,

Please keep me informed. I fear that your indicative price estimates would exclude me, but there must be some common ground. And now would be a good time for my layout/shunting plank project.

PB

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

Please keep me informed. I fear that your indicative price estimates would exclude me, but there must be some common ground. And now would be a good time for my layout/shunting plank project.

PB

Likewise, I'm not sure that I would choose to spend so much on a kit, but presumably the more people who buy one the lower the price. I have used York modelmaking for windows, doors etc to by my attempts at scratchbuilding and they make very good products,

Likewise, I'm not sure that I would choose to spend so much on a kit, but presumably the more people who buy one the lower the price. I have used York modelmaking for windows, doors etc to by my attempts at scratchbuilding and they make very good products,

Quite! I had originally intended to follow through on the original effort by looking at the potential to make a resin mould from the assembled kit in order to produce a run where the price would be comparable to Skaledale/Scenecraft, maybe at a modest premium due to 'niche' demand meaning small numbers. Unfortunately with overseas work commitments for the past five years I have simply not had the time for any railway modelling activity, let alone follow through on the Chard Goods Shed project. So the kit sat in a box for some considerable time and earlier this year I decided to begin assembly having decided moving ahead with the kit concept would be a long way in the future if it ever happened. Conceptually I had the idea of following on with a station building ( Axminster / Honiton) and signalbox (LSWR Type 1). 

With the appearance of mainstream manufacturers producing collections of location specific buildings such as the S&D Shillingstone I have wondered if there might be an LSWR group forthcoming at some juncture which would also obviate the need / demand for the kit or resin product.

Having read what appears to be a growing interest in things South Western (Adam's Radial x 2, O2, coaches, S15, unrebuilt MN, etc) and seen your excellent photo collections and response to them, I thought I would flag up the fact that I had done the pre-investment in a distinct 'Tite' Yeovil & Exeter design building to see if there was interest in doing something with it.  

I am quite happy to make an enquiry with York to see what numbers of copies would generate a significant cost reduction. However, by comparison the LSWR Type 1 signalbox kit available from the Mid-Hants Railway runs out at the circa £45 level is maybe indicative that a price for the goods shed is likely to be maybe 2 or 3 times that amount going down the lazer-cut kit route. I can but ask!

Quite! I had originally intended to follow through on the original effort by looking at the potential to make a resin mould from the assembled kit in order to produce a run where the price would be comparable to Skaledale/Scenecraft, maybe at a modest premium due to 'niche' demand meaning small numbers. Unfortunately with overseas work commitments for the past five years I have simply not had the time for any railway modelling activity, let alone follow through on the Chard Goods Shed project. So the kit sat in a box for some considerable time and earlier this year I decided to begin assembly having decided moving ahead with the kit concept would be a long way in the future if it ever happened. Conceptually I had the idea of following on with a station building ( Axminster / Honiton) and signalbox (LSWR Type 1). 

With the appearance of mainstream manufacturers producing collections of location specific buildings such as the S&D Shillingstone I have wondered if there might be an LSWR group forthcoming at some juncture which would also obviate the need / demand for the kit or resin product.

Having read what appears to be a growing interest in things South Western (Adam's Radial x 2, O2, coaches, S15, unrebuilt MN, etc) and seen your excellent photo collections and response to them, I thought I would flag up the fact that I had done the pre-investment in a distinct 'Tite' Yeovil & Exeter design building to see if there was interest in doing something with it.  

I am quite happy to make an enquiry with York to see what numbers of copies would generate a significant cost reduction. However, by comparison the LSWR Type 1 signalbox kit available from the Mid-Hants Railway runs out at the circa £45 level is maybe indicative that a price for the goods shed is likely to be maybe 2 or 3 times that amount going down the lazer-cut kit route. I can but ask!

Apologies! The photo collection I refer to was that provided by Peter Bedding. 

Archived