Kitmaster/Dapol City of Truro with Hornby tender drive

Here I go again.

I've been a bit of a coward and begun the build to make sure that it worked before starting the thread. She runs. I will try to make her look like this: http://website.lineone.net/~cbwesson/GWR%20City.htm Current collection is made by one of these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321315214753?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 which required lengthening by a few mm. Removed a lot of the plastic to get plenty of room for my sausage like fingers. The outside frames were also trimmed to look more like the images. Wheel bearings were made from plastic tube.

post-12040-0-08857200-1396455309_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-31741400-1396455339_thumb.jpg

This looks like an interesting project ... as an aside, I do wonder how easy it would be to convert one of these to an 'Atbara' class (the boiler would need changing for sure).

If your other projects are anything to go by, this'll be a stunner.

This looks like an interesting project ... as an aside, I do wonder how easy it would be to convert one of these to an 'Atbara' class (the boiler would need changing for sure).

If your other projects are anything to go by, this'll be a stunner.

I haven't really looked into it (yet) but there's a few engines with same size wheels that should be possible with a little/lot of plastic surgery.

Regards,

Stefan

Removed all unwanted detail from the body and made a new chimney, from scrap chimney bits, that look a little more like the prototype (I think?) Placed a weight inside the boiler, and as far as I can tell, it's nicely balanced.

post-12040-0-11525100-1396619681_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-63286100-1396619700_thumb.jpg

Hi Stefan,

Another great project good sir!

You should think about doing it in that photographic grey livery - I'll bet nobody has done a City like that before!

All the best,

Castle

That's food for thought, Castle!

I'm now the proud owner of "Great Western Way" In it I found a paragraph saying that a few engines carried out traffic duties painted grey. It may not be appropriate for City of Truro, but it's still interesting.

Regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

The livery is interesting as it is also quite misleading. It is generally assumed that the whole thing was grey but the livery transfers were the same ones as used on the regular livery and thus in full colour. The lining was also in full colour too. It was also the case that Swindon cheated these pictures quite a lot. The example you have there is a great one. You can see that the name and number plates are not quite right. It was common for there to be just one loco of the class painted in the works grey and either the name and number plates changed or, as in this example (and very crudely in this case) doctoring the photograph itself.

I hope this is of interest!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Stefan, I assume you are doing this in pre-war condition and livery. It will be interesting to compare it to the Bachmann model.

Looking good so far, as expected.

Hi Nile,

Yes, Indian Red/Green it will be. If you want a City without the top feed, sand boxes by the wheel splashers etc. Then this could be the way to go. The Bachmann model won't be available at a good price forever either. The kit is nice enough as a base for good model and the tender drive of my choice isn't the only way to go.

Regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan

You seem to have threads springing up everywhere.

This is definitely one for me to follow as I can't remember how many times I have picked that kit up and thought 'I wonder if...', it seems as though I've not been the only one either.

Many years ago when I was a lot younger I too thought about painting and lining one in photographic grey, never did though even though I liked the look of it.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes, will watch with interest as I have one with the Branchlines kit, was gonna sell but thought I would practice as will be my first attempt at an etched chassis.

You are very quick at these builds, where do you find the time?

Good luck, looking good so far.

All the best
Chris

Thanks Chris!

I spend a few? hours, every afternoon and evening modelling. The wife has  given the approval and it just roll's on.

Good luck with the etched chassis!

Regards,

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived