RMWeb, IE 11 and RMWeb_2014 Theme

• RMweb Gold

There was some extensive maintenance to IE 11 on Tuesday and it seems some of the recent troubles have returned.  For example, I tried to reply to a topic quoting a previous post but was unable to do so.  Furthermore copying text into the post was no longer possible.

Then setting up this post I found it was quoting the post I'd tried to include, so I had to delete it first!

I will remove the update that was installed yesterday and see if it fixed the problem.  I'll report back.

• RMweb Gold

I thought the problem might be with the large IE 11 fix KB2929437 which includes some new function but is only an optional update and doesn't get installed automatically.  I've removed it but the problems persist - they're exactly the same as were encountered when IE 11 first became available.

Is it possible the fixes to RMWeb for IE 11 have somehow been regressed?

Is there anyone on IE 11 who hasn't yet installed the last set of updates able to check?

Is it possible the fixes to RMWeb for IE 11 have somehow been regressed?

For now the previous theme (RMweb_2013) is still available by Changing Theme at the bottom of the page to try and isolate if it's our changes rather than IE11 if you like? Of course there's no logical reason why there should be any difference as both were created from the same base but when did logic come into such issues?

Just tried with both themes. What ever was fixed in IP to correct the paste prevention in IE from working is broken again with this latest IE update If you are running Internet Exploder V11.0.9600.16521, its borked!

• RMweb Gold

I've removed the second IE cumulative fix pack (KB2936068) and this did not fix it either.  My IE 11 says it's 11.0.9600.16521 and version 11.0.4 (KB2925418) which is the version as of the March update level.

I've removed the second IE cumulative fix pack (KB2936068) and this did not fix it either.  My IE 11 says it's 11.0.9600.16521 and version 11.0.4 (KB2925418) which is the version as of the March update level.

This is bizarre. One minute it doesn't work, next it does. Closed browser, cleared cache, and voila all of a sudden the quote and paste is working again. :butcher:

copied from Andy's post above.

"For now the previous theme (RMweb_2013) is still available by Changing Theme at the bottom of the page to try and isolate if it's our changes rather than IE11 if you like? Of course there's no logical reason why there should be any"

oooo look below. Autosave has started to work again as well. Tres strange.

• RMweb Gold

Yes - it is bizarre.  I've just switched to the 2013 theme and it's working again.

On my laptop, with both sets of IE fixes still installed, and 2014 theme, it's also suddenly all working again.

• RMweb Gold

Oh, good. It isn't just me. And when the IT-competent membership is also having problems, I just sit back and wait. Meanwhile an innocent - but senior - poster misses out on getting his leg pulled as I can't quote his words. Worse things happen at sea.

But Andrew C - yet again - enhances my vocabulary with "borked".

Oh, good. It isn't just me. And when the IT-competent membership is also having problems, I just sit back and wait. Meanwhile an innocent - but senior - poster misses out on getting his leg pulled as I can't quote his words. Worse things happen at sea.

But Andrew C - yet again - enhances my vocabulary with "borked".

Agree - unless you mean me, Ian........... :drag:  :senile:

Went haywire at first on my Imac, but now working a treat thanks to getting in first with Andy :sungum: .

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Agree - unless you mean me, Ian........... :drag:  :senile:

Went haywire at first on my Imac, but now working a treat thanks to getting in first with Andy :sungum: .

Best, Pete.

Only working for me at the moment if I use RMWeb 2013 theme - fails with the 2014 theme.

Only working for me at the moment if I use RMWeb 2013 theme - fails with the 2014 theme.

I seem to have been able to isolate and replicate this.

2014 theme, borked. However if you change to 2013 but don't refresh the page or clear your cache it doesn't remove whatever php code is in the new theme and the paste fails. Same in reverse. Switch from the 2013 theme but don't refresh the page or clear your cache and the paste will work for a while until your browser cache gets cleaned down and the functional code on the page gets downloaded to the browser again.

Wireshark is my friend. :sungum:

ergo, the issue is in the difference in the functional code between the themes, but local browser caching is causing the on/off behaviour to appear random.

edit: Ian, bork or borked means broken in IT terms. Unless of course you are a Swedish muppet with a chef's hat.

• RMweb Gold

Just switched back to 2014 theme, restarted IE, and the problem is still there for me ....

Clearing  cache did not fix it.  But switching back to 2013 theme does - in this case without restarting IE or clearing cache.

Following Andy Y's advice to visit here with my IE11 problems I list my fails.

Not sure if these are all related to IE 11 but..............

1/  I can't copy text and paste it into another post.  Well actually if I click the icon to the left of the eraser it will allow me to copy and paste but this is a mess to do.

2/  I don't get updates when I post or even if I log out and back in again. This is the notification icon top right of page and to the left of my name.  It does show all others just not mine.

I prefer to use IE 11 as apposed to other browsers so is there a work-a-round available?

Regards  

• RMweb Gold

Following Andy Y's advice to visit here with my IE11 problems I list my fails.

Not sure if these are all related to IE 11 but..............

1/  I can't copy text and paste it into another post.  Well actually if I click the icon to the left of the eraser it will allow me to copy and paste but this is a mess to do.

2/  I don't get updates when I post or even if I log out and back in again. This is the notification icon top right of page and to the left of my name.  It does show all others just not mine.

I prefer to use IE 11 as apposed to other browsers so is there a work-a-round available?

Regards

Click on the "change theme" at the bottom of this page and change it to 2013 version.  That should work - as you can see for me....

Click on the "change theme" at the bottom of this page and change it to 2013 version. That should work - as you can see for me....

Click on the "change theme" at the bottom of this page and change it to 2013 version.  That should work - as you can see for me....

I was just trying that RFS but it still no go.  Well actually how I copied the above was this.

1/   try to copy I can blue it but it will not paste it down.  iN FACT THE PASTE OPTION IS GREYED OUT?

2/   to paste it down I have to click the BBCode icon to the left of the eraser once.  This greys out all the text but does allow me to paste it.

3/   then if I click the same icon again all text returns to BLACK and if I again try to paste it again it will do so until I leave this post when it stops working again.

Maddening to say the least. 

"change theme" Dear God I just logged out and back in after 2013 and now it's working normally :banghead:

...2014 theme, borked. However if you change to 2013 but don't refresh the page or clear your cache it doesn't remove whatever php code is in the new theme and the paste fails...

I hope that was a typo. Given that PHP is executed server-side, you're browser should never see it, let alone cache it. Maybe you meant Javascript, or even CSS?

Nick

I hope that was a typo. Given that PHP is executed server-side, you're browser should never see it, let alone cache it. Maybe you meant Javascript, or even CSS?

Nick

long day, yes it should have been javascript on the browser not php.

That was a mistake - mentioning Java - now we'll have Kenton joining in  :O

No one mentioned Java, that's a completely different animal from Javascript :nono:

But you're right, mentioning Javascript could well get him excited.

Nick

Archived