97xx Condensing pannier in 00

Hi All,

Following on from the A class, I finally got my finger out on the next project which is the 97xx Condensing Pannier. I have designed it to fit the newer Bachmann 8750 chassis.

post-8704-0-89370400-1399852440_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-88321700-1399852439_thumb.jpg

These were a couple of early development screenshots with my mocked up 8750 chassis under the body to check clearances. She was stuck like this for ages while I got the courage up to build the fiddly Weir Pump on the drivers side.

post-8704-0-74381300-1399852438_thumb.jpg

This is how she looks now, and I think she is ready for a test print. Shapeways seem to be ok with all wall thicknesses, so hopefully I will get her off for printing this week!

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Following on from the A class, I finally got my finger out on the next project which is the 97xx Condensing Pannier. I have designed it to fit the newer Bachmann 8750 chassis.

attachicon.gifCondensing Pannier 1.jpg

attachicon.gifCondensing Pannier 2.jpg

These were a couple of early development screenshots with my mocked up 8750 chassis under the body to check clearances. She was stuck like this for ages while I got the courage up to build the fiddly Weir Pump on the drivers side.

attachicon.gifCondensing Pannier 3.jpg

This is how she looks now, and I think she is ready for a test print. Shapeways seem to be ok with all wall thicknesses, so hopefully I will get her off for printing this week!

I look forward to see the test run of this model.

Hi All,

attachicon.gifCondensing Pannier 1.jpg

attachicon.gifCondensing Pannier 2.jpg

attachicon.gifCondensing Pannier 3.jpg

This looks excellent. I will definitely be considering one.

Incidentally, this now knocks another item of my CAD 'to do' list. It's excellent to see that CAD is becoming such a widespread thing now.

• 2 weeks later...

It is set up for WSF at the moment. I have just heard that the test print is on its way, so I should be able to get some photos uploaded of the finished article soon.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, WOW and a bit more WOW!

We've just come back from holiday, and waiting for me was the first sample of the 97xx. I'd arranged for her to be delivered to my parents house as we would be away, and my Dad was so excited by her arrival that he immediately went online to buy an 8750 chassis.

Went over to see them yesterday to find that Dad has already marked out for the handrails etc. I test fitted the chassis which was a bit tight, but with a little trimming to the inside of the splashers and running plate slotted in nicely. I also needed to shorten the pipe from the valve under the bunker as my sketchup dummy chassis block didn't include all the details such as sandboxes! Rookie error there I think! Apart from the teething troubles though, the body looks great. The details is crisp and very fine, and I think she captures the look of the prototype really nicely.

Got told off by Dad though, as apparently all the photo's I'd been working from for the driver's side must have been of 9710, as there was no toolbox on the RHS splasher. I didn't even think to check that. I simply assumed that the lack of toolbox was due to the position of the wier pump. I'll look into this one later!

I haven't had chance to take any photos yet. I've made Dad promise to take a couple before he starts drilling and priming. I'll try to post some later this afternoon.

9710 as you said had no right hand tool box, and no top feed throughout it's life, most if not all the others had top feed although I can not figure out where the feed pipes went as they do not pass down the tank sides between the tank and cab like other panniers.

David

Ooooh, I forgot about the top feed! that means that the drawing I found must be specifically for 9710, which would account for a lot. Thanks for the info David, I'll delve into the photo albums again to check the details. it may be that this one will remain as 9710, and the rest of the class can be uploaded as a different model.

As promised, here are some photos of the unpainted body shell. These were taken just before my Dad marked her up for drilling, and I have it on good authority that he spent a few hours last night forming the one piece handrail round the tanks and over the smokebox front. I think I owe him a pint after that!

post-8704-0-72496600-1401741238_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-31165500-1401741246_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-54952600-1401741250_thumb.jpg

Off to the Bricklayers now to buy a beer for the test builder!

Cheers...

The model looks good although you are missing the rivets on the tank sides, also I have noticed that the toolbox on the right side is in the centre of the splasher while on the left side is to the front of the splasher.

I built a model of 9710 for a friend using the brass Samhogsa model as a starting point, I have a another unmodified Samhongsa model which I intend to build as 9707, which I have colour photos of on a P Way train in the country near Saunderton.

David

post-186-0-14082500-1401865177.jpg

The lack of rivet detail is deliberate. One of the problems with everything I have seen from Shapeways is the surface texture, which can be reduced with different treatments, but to my mind still benefits from rubbing down between coats of primer. If I had done all the rivets they would get in the way and either end up with unsightly rough patches, or (if I miss whilst rubbing down) eventually no rivets!

I have had a couple of sheets of waterslide rivets in stock for a while, and I think this is a good opportunity to see how they look.

(edit... apart from the fact that Dad has got all the detail on now!!! Maybe I should have thought about this a bit earlier in the build...)

• RMweb Gold

The lack of rivet detail is deliberate. One of the problems with everything I have seen from Shapeways is the surface texture, which can be reduced with different treatments, but to my mind still benefits from rubbing down between coats of primer. If I had done all the rivets they would get in the way and either end up with unsightly rough patches, or (if I miss whilst rubbing down) eventually no rivets!

I have had a couple of sheets of waterslide rivets in stock for a while, and I think this is a good opportunity to see how they look.

(edit... apart from the fact that Dad has got all the detail on now!!! Maybe I should have thought about this a bit earlier in the build...)

Could you have it printed in a different material to avoid the surface 'roughness'?  I agree with David about the rivets as they were very noticeable on the 97XX side tanks - could they perhaps be added using river transfers?  That apart it looks good - you have caught the shape really well I think.

I definitely take both your points about the rivets, and to that end I have just been going over the drawings adding some. I doubt whether the true Pannier aficionados would agree to the positioning of them all, but I am reduced to working from photos for the rivet detail as it doesn't show on any of the drawings I have. I haven't gone to town all over, just on the tank, cab and bunker sides where they really do show up.

I gave 9710 a rub down with fine wet and dry this afternoon, and she certainly looks better for it. I haven't had chance to get any more photos as yet, but if anyone is around for the Faversham show on Saturday, I'll hopefully have her running on Wotton (totally out of time and place, but heigh ho!)

I have also been going over all the photos in the collection trying to sort out toolboxes and top-feeds. I can definitely say that 9701 and 9703 both entered service with the LHS toolbox centred on the splasher, and neither of them had a top-feed boiler. Later on, the toolboxes were moved forward, although just how far doesn't seem to have been standardised. For the purposes of the model, I have had to take an best guess, and moved it so there is about 1.5mm of splasher in front of the box.

Top feeds are even more elusive, It would appear that at least the first three of the class were built with no top feeds, however I think all the class with the exception of 9710 and possibly 9706 at some point ran with a top feed boiler, to that end, I have now produced three variants for the model:

9701-9709, with toolboxes on both sides and no top feed

9710, plain boiler and toolbox on LHS only

plus any or all of the 9701-9709 batch with a top feed (I will probably hold off uploading this one for a while, until I'm happy with the top feed, it doesn't quite look right yet!)

So there it is... Still a work in progress, but all being well one which will be ready for release by the weekend.

See you at Faversham!

9700-9710 were all built without top feed and no steps on the left side bunker or whistle shields, from the mid 1940s the steps were added to all and top feeds started to appear.

in pannier papers the following locos had top feed

9700 Top Feed

9701 Top Feed forward tool box

9702 Top feed? forward tool box

9703 No top feed

9704 Top feed  forward tool box

9705 No photo

9706 Top Feed

9707 Top Feed centre tool box

9708 No photo

9709 No top feed

9710 No top feed

The model looks good but I am not too sure of the smokebox door

Pretty good for a test model, especially with the detail added. Is it possible to make the chimney shaft a little more tapered?

....I am not too sure of the smokebox door

Do have a look at the relationship between the smokebox door straps/hinges and the central mount for the smoke door handles. The straps appear to be slightly too high, which gives the whole front end a weird appearance. I don't think you need to have a ridged hole for the door handles either, as brass detail parts usually come with their own base and spindle.

The safety valve rim can be safely filed down which would improve its looks considerably.

Pretty good for a test model, especially with the detail added. Is it possible to make the chimney shaft a little more tapered?

Is it the taper or the lack of the radius at the bottom that makes it look wrong?

Apart from the hinge positions, the smokebox door should have a continuous curve across its surface.

Is the diameter of the vent pipe in front of the dome too large, or is it just the oversize lip at the top that makes it look that way?

Lubricator pipe cover between and in front of right hand condeser pipe and chimney?

On the added detail, there should only be a cab roof handrail on the fireman's side, its not needed on the driver's side.

Nick

Is it the taper or the lack of the radius at the bottom that makes it look wrong?.....

I thought it was an apparent lack of taper - it actually starts off quite well at the cap, but the taper then stops as soon as you hit the main shaft. The initial photo also appears to show a slight bulge on the offside of the chimney shaft.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been tweaking the pannier and taken into account all that has been said here. I have added a little more taper to the chimney, although the original was accurate to the drawing. Just goes to show that you can't trust a drawing! I've also had to beef a few bits up to allow for it to be printed in polished WSF.

• 4 months later...

WOW - L49

Just received in the post from Eindhoven my printed model of Pannier.

Exceeded my wildest expectations!

Checked it out with Bach Chassis - great fit.

Now packed away for Christmas.

That's my January projected sorted.

Thanks

Peter

I'm really glad you are happy with it. I hope it proves to be a good January project. I've had to throttle back on some of the loco kits for a while as I'm trying to get study type work done; having said that, I'm going to see if I can get the first print back from the 94xx for Christmas. 

Archived