Fitting sound to an Easy Build Class 108 DMU

Compbck

Having now moved from 4mm to 7mm, I am contemplating purchasing an Easy Build Class 108 DMU to add to my new 0 gauge collection.

As my 00 gauge setup consisted of all DCC Sound installed locomotives, I want to do the same with 0 gauge, and in particular the Easy Build Class 108 DMU, which has taken my fancy as I had one in 00 scale and work well with end-to-end layouts.

I'm currently researching the feasibility of carrying out his process and would like to hear from any members who have had any experience of Easy Build Kits and where appropriate the successful installation of sound .

I can help you out with the EB 108 as I am still building mine but have done all the DCC stuff including lights and sound using twin ESU Loksound V4's, one in each car and if course twin speakers.

The speakers being mounted under the floor in the dummy motor area.

Problem, I won't be back until Saturday evening as I am spending a week away on the Cambrian route. But I do have photos ready to post so it should be quick once I get home.

Will try to get them done Saturday evening once home and the motor home put to bed.

It's quite easy to do with the speakers mounted in cut outs between the engine blocks along the centre line. The engine blocks have some metal removed at the rear of them to allow the speaker to rest in the cut outs.

I have an ABC gearbox and motor in mine but the arrangement with the EB motor gearbox will be very similar. I also use the ESU stay alive PowerPack to aid running not that it's an issue.

I did add pick ups to all wheels and miniature jumpers between cars so pick ups on any car will power the decoders and motor across the whole unit.

Bi directional headlights, red white with cab lights and passenger compartment lights as well all add to the effect.

The kit does need a little bit of tweaking to make it all go together well but a bit of prior testing with the sides, roof and cab ends are worth it before adding glue to make it all permanent.

If there are any spelling mistakes in all this blame my IPhone and predictive typing.

Hi...

TTG wrote a lengthy passage on his Easybuild Class 108 sound installation in my Costleigh layout thread a while back...

It can be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73105-costleigh-goes-7mm/page-3&do=findComment&comment=1233076

He goes into great detail, and hopefully it will help avert any predictive text anomolies.....

Thanks once more to TTG....

However, my EB Class 108 will have a split pair of Bluetooth stereo speakers (one in each vehicle) fed by my iPad running Soundbyte if I can source (or record ) suitable sounds.

Will cost less than £20....

Here's an example:

Randall

Thanks, I had forgotten about that.

For video of what my set up sounds like look in my layout thread St. Davids and you should find two videos of my 108 running on the layout from a cab view.

Sorry, cannot post a link as that is too difficult on my iPhone.

Hi...

TTG wrote a lengthy passage on his Easybuild Class 108 sound installation in my Costleigh layout thread a while back...

It can be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73105-costleigh-goes-7mm/page-3&do=findComment&comment=1233076

He goes into great detail, and hopefully it will help avert any predictive text anomolies.....

Thanks once more to TTG....

However, my EB Class 108 will have a split pair of Bluetooth stereo speakers (one in each vehicle) fed by my iPad running Soundbyte if I can source (or record ) suitable sounds.

Will cost less than £20....

Here's an example:

Randall

Randall,

Any chance of showing the 108 actually running -  so I can see it in sync with your Ipad controlled sounds?

It does sound extremely good!

Randall,

Any chance of showing the 108 actually running - so I can see it in sync with your Ipad controlled sounds?

It does sound extremely good!

Hi Cassey...

Unfortunately, my O gauge Easybuild Class 108 is still on the workbench. The Bluetooth module and speakers will be installed later.

However, I've recorded this brief video of a Bachmann Class 105 departing from Costleigh New Cut station on my 4mm layout.

The speakers aren't onboard....they are beneath the layout.

The slight distortion is due to my smartphone video recorder, not the actual playback.

Goes to show that sound can be cheap and of a much better quality than sound decoders.

More importantly, it shows that it IS possible to control the motion and the sounds separately.

Randall

Hello,

Here are some photos of my DCC sound installation on my Easy Build Cl108 DMU.

I have used a twin decoder installation using 21 pin Loksound V4 decoders mounted on ESU 21MTC adapter board 2 Pt. No.51968 with each decoder having a ESU PowerPack Pt. No. 54670 to over come any stuttering of the unit and the sound due to dirty track and wheels.

The use of the ESU 21MTC adapter board 2 allows all the wiring and soldering to be made without going near the decoder until you need to add the PowerPack as its soldered directly to the decoder, three wires, and then the decoder press fitted onto the adapter board. .

One decoder per car with one having no motor load as I have only one ABC Motor Gear Box in mine and provides very smooth quiet running.

Each car also has its own speaker mounted below the floor pointing down in between the motor castings. These have been adapted to take the speakers and I think look better when seen on the track. I did try removing one of the fuel tanks and putting the speaker where it had been but it looked a bit odd as well as reducing the weight of the vehicle.  

Each bogie is removable from its car as I have used micro miniature connectors wired to the pickups on each bogie. Two pin for a non motor bogie and a four pin one for the motor bogie.

As well as each bogie having pickups which are all wired in parallel to feed the decoders I made a two pin jumper to go between the cars so any bogie, wheel set can provide power to the decoders as well as making sure a Railcom signal is present at every wheel set for train detection purposes. You will need to disable the Railcom function in the non motor decoder as you cannot normally have two Railcom transmitters in one train.

Each decoder feeds its own directional lighting such as red white head lights and in my case the head code panel. The horn is also directional and only sounds in the car that is at the front relative to the direction of travel. Same for the guards buzzer.

The other thing I have added is cab and passenger lighting. This is taken care of by the very very nice ESU LED Lighting Strip Pt. No. 50700 with  added PowerPack Energy Storage Units Pt. No. 50706, one per strip. Theses stop light flicker. The strips are wired to Aux outputs on the 21MTC adapter board in each car. This allows the lighting to be turned on and off. Each one can be configured for brightness by either using the right CV setting that controls the output of the Aux output as well as a miniature trimmer pot on each lighting strip.

I added cab lighting by using the taillamp output of the light strips and a little bit of tweaking of the wiring. Again these are directional and light in the direction of travel and can be turned on and off. Even automatically when the train sets off.

The decoders have the same address, what ever you want so they respond together for control purposes. For all my settings I have used the very useful lok Programmer which does away with all the guess work when it comes to changing CV values. You can use other computer based software if you have a system that can address it or a SPROG is very good at doing all the work as well.

Anyway, enough drivel and onto the photos. Any questions please do ask.

TTG

post-6682-0-85779400-1404045199_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-62016600-1404045144_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-10275800-1404045187_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-92331700-1404045258_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-81709800-1404045315_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-49648900-1404045376_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-49668800-1404045426_thumb.jpg

Archived