• RMweb Premium

My plan for Leicester TMD has unfortunately been put on hold for the time being, so here’s my plan for a double APA box, I have one box in hand and need to get to Ikea to get another to join two boxes together as per the excellent Dunelm layout on RMweb. The plan is for N gauge, 1990 – 2000 so sectors through to privatisation. There will be occasional passenger trains (loco hauled and units) and heavy freight reversing using the loop or the platform road, plus the nuclear transfer facility to add a little interest and to make use of the excellent FNA wagons by Farish.
Early stages at the min but something might happen in the next few weeks

14547947246_4f0808e3f2_c.jpg
Double APA Box by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Comments please?

Hi Steve,

This looks like it's going to be interesting.

One thing I would say is to try swinging the track at the front away from the edge a little - nothing worse than seeing the edge of the board in photos, particularly when you're thinking of having a focal point there.

Conversely, don't let things get too close to the back... The joys of working in a small space.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

hi Steve

good looking plan will watch with interest

good luck on this new project

hugh

Thanks Hugh, it was your excellent layout that inspired this plan.

Hi Steve,

This looks like it's going to be interesting.

One thing I would say is to try swinging the track at the front away from the edge a little - nothing worse than seeing the edge of the board in photos, particularly when you're thinking of having a focal point there.

Conversely, don't let things get too close to the back... The joys of working in a small space.

Mike

I will have a go when i get the second box and see what feels right...

Thanks again

I had thought of putting two Apa boxes next to each other using the central posts as part of the layout somehow, but not actually stitching them together in this fashion, as done on Dunelm. a great idea. I will be following this one with much interest.

• RMweb Premium

Looks good Steve. I now have plans for another 4 or 5 double APA boxes, using the legs built for Dunelm as a common support. Not got plans for a N gauge one though.

Mike

I look forward to seeing what you have planned... thats the advantage of a modular baseboard is having one set of framework

• RMweb Premium

Work has started on the latest project, which is currently nameless. I have recycled two of the children’s APA boxes, to create the base. I removed the inner ends and glued ¼” dowelling in the screw holes to join the two together. Rather than have the joins all in the centre of the box for both frames and hardboard, I cut one of each side and floor in half so as to stagger the joins and try and build some strength in to it.

Here are the trimmed sides and floors

14401966379_291bd80162_c.jpg

Double sized Apa box... by Steve Purves, on Flickr

And the box with the extra-long framework fitted. To slide the hardboard into place required about 4 sets of hand and a liberal dose of swearing…

14587845052_3b7244265d_c.jpg

The finished box, I will now print some point plans and have a play with my initial plan to see what looks/feels right

14401897600_820fd4c2b0_c.jpg

The plan as it stands now, the exit tracks are sited with the same relative positions as the exit tracks from Apa Park. This will give me the option of joining the two together using a common central fiddle yard rather than as two standalone layouts.

14547947246_4f0808e3f2_c.jpg

Double APA Box by Steve Purves, on Flickr

As for a name, How does Apalong sound? – suggestions welcome!

• RMweb Premium

Another one?! You're making me feel very lazy here....!

I know, can't keep me down for too long... The track for this box should be here on saturday (plus enough in hand for a further project) along with a Dynamis controller and a Lenz Compact. I will be trialling all three (my Prodigy Express being the third) on Apa Park and my Roundy test track to see which I prefer and then possibly moving the surplus on.

The next job is to source some 9mm plywood for the baseboard in the box and fiddlelid and get those in so I can start putting stuff in the box...

• RMweb Premium

The glue having dried on the box I returned to place some loose bits of track in the box to get a feel for sizes and locations. I was going to start and put buildings in too but the little one woke up and ended playtime!

14461602169_4e5d3433ec_c.jpg

Track laid loosely - Big APA by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14668129203_61a454c070_c.jpg

Top Down Big APA by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Should hopefully have the baseboard cut by the end of the week and maybe I can start tracklaying properly then!

• RMweb Premium

Slight change of plan with this one, I am going to sell all of the code 80 I have in stock and make the switch to code 55 for this. That said, I am going to keep my large radius electrofrog turnouts and a few lengths of track for a 'rainy day'... Its nice to start a project with all the track in hand. I haven't used code 55 in ernest before, is there any pitfalls/perils to watch for?

Steve

Hi Steve,

It's interesting to see the two boxes joined together, definitely gives me some food for thought! After seeing Apa Park at Westbury it really did open my eyes to what is possible...so I bought a couple at Ikea the other week!

jo

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve,

It's interesting to see the two boxes joined together, definitely gives me some food for thought! After seeing Apa Park at Westbury it really did open my eyes to what is possible...so I bought a couple at Ikea the other week!

jo

Good man... do you have any plans yet?

I couldn't find the right size dowels today, I'll try again tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll also pick up some hardboard to cut into one piece back and side sheets for added strength.

I was going to do that but wanted to reuse as much APA as possible...

I couldn't find the right size dowels today, I'll try again tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll also pick up some hardboard to cut into one piece back and side sheets for added strength.

In the States you are probably better sourcing 1/4 or 3/8 dowel and a drill bit to suit and re-sizing the holes. A one piece back probably won't add  any strength, and will be covered over anyway. The sides are in one piece already and are an important structural part. See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85063-dunelm/

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work has restarted on this one today. Startdd the day off by lining the box and fitting the baseboard the same as I did with Apa Park. Once fitted I marked and cut out the exit.

15370114632_9a8d75b67d_z.jpg

Apa box 2 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

whilst the glue set I went to the local model shop and picked up the supplies. Cork roadbed was laid before tea. Whilst SWMBO was getting ready to go out with the girlies I madethe bridge abutments. Wife despatched and chilren sleeping the track was laid and topped off with platform edging.

15187453389_1089997550_z.jpg

Track laid by Steve Purves, on Flickr

15371037241_65bed8a2d1_z.jpg

and to finish off... my inspirational shot of the day...

15187693017_d492838c58_z.jpg

After seeing the lovely work that put you in the final selection for the BRM magazine, am really looking forward to seeing this progress.

As I admitted on a PM at the time I did not want to draw attention to your work....as I had two others I wanted to win. I can now guilt free come and browse

• RMweb Premium

Well, work progressing well on the new box. Went to wire the layout up on Sunday and readlised I hadn’t enough big wire for the job, only having 7x0.2 available. Instead spend a couple of hours yesterday getting the road bridge to a decent standard. I am really pleased with how this one is looking so far, I am going to fit the lights in the box next and make a start on the other scratchbuilt structures until I can get some wire! Finished the day off yesterday by putting some stock in the box to see what fits. I can get 11 standard tubs in the loop for running around, and 5 mk1’s in the platform which is nice!

15196751369_53f6243608_c.jpg

Double Apa by Steve Purves, on Flickr

15383479505_4bb4d3f594_c.jpg

15383483005_3e0acc15df_c.jpg

Archived