Clerestory Coaches on the Eastern region early BR

Just started 'tarting up' a rake of the blood and custard liveried coaches from the Hornby Anglian set. My question is how were these numbered in early BR days and can I get transfers for them?

Many thanks

Ivan

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if these are any use.  I wonder if any were ever repainted from LNER teak.  In fact they may well have been painted brown, which the LNER did with some old coaches.

The photos were taken by Dad, the dates are to within a year.

post-5613-0-74208500-1405200359_thumb.jpg

Bethnal Green Junction left B1 Yarmouth to Liverpool St right B17 Liverpool St to Kings Lynn c1948 JVol3091

post-5613-0-00614300-1405200365_thumb.jpg

Cambridge South B1 le and B1 pass Cambridge to Kings X 1948 JVol1190

post-5613-0-41691400-1405200350_thumb.jpg

Annesley C12 on Annesley Dido c1952JVol3201

post-5613-0-91380000-1405200355_thumb.jpg

Basford North c1952 JVol2059

David

David thanks for the photos they are superb, this is just how I imagine them being used, not as a nice clean pair working the local branch but as part of a right mixture of coaches making up semi fast stock. Must agree with you most look teak or as you say painted brown.

I think I might go back to the drawing board with these and put them with the ratio kit made coaches I have for such a train.

Thank you

Ivan

What area are you modelling?  The GE section had a lot of clerestory stock as quite a number of diagrams were cascaded form the old NER area in the mid 1930s.   The GC had some as can be seen above and the GN had its own and also former ECJS stock which were almost certainly only in excursion use by the 1950s and had started to be withdrawn. 

In Dave's photos above, the top shows an ex-NER 3 compartment brake (might be D18, I can't quite remember).  The second one is also NER and the lower ones GC.  The Hornby coaches are, I think, broadly GWR but not really accurate for anywhere.

As has been observed, none of these would have had blood and custard: apart from the fact that that was reserved for corridor stock, BR decided that pregrouping stock which was due for scrapping (almost all if it except Restaurant Cars) would be painted brown if painted at all.  By the later 1950s it had all been swept away expect that bagged by the Engineers.

Transfers?  HMRS, Modelmaster and possibly Cambridge Custom Transfers depending on what type of transfers you prefer.  Whatever way you do it you'll be making them up one number at a time or using incorrect ones.

Archived