DCC Concepts OO gauge wheel pickups.

Free At Last

I was at Hattons last Friday and enjoyed a chat with Richard Johnson who was there showing some of his new products.

He gave me these to try...

OOgaugewheelpickups_zps9f75a82e.jpg

I am going to get some Dcc Concepts red loco lamps and have a go fitting them to some coaches and brake vans, these pickups should make it a lot easier.

Before I go to their web page where I find it hard to locate some products, do you know if they are commercially available as of today.  They look like they would significantly reduce the time to fit tender pick-ups.

There is no product label or number on the pack as yet.

If you're worried about haulage capacity, I think part of the solution is to use a higher gear ratio on locomotives. I think that locomotives should be geared so that their maximum operating speed is reached at full 12 volts instead of doing a scale 300mph at 9 volts (okay, perhaps I'm exaggerating a little) Most O gauge models these days come with 40:1 gear ratio as standard, but I think that 54:1 will be much better. Smaller electric motors rotate at might higher speeds, and I think that in 4mm scale, you need something more along the lines of 80:1 or 108:1. The result is that you get slower running, but more torque, increasing the haulage capacity.

If your pick-ups are causing a lot of drag, try rubbing the backs of the wheels with some 9B graphite. It's conductive and very slippery stuff and will reduce the drag.

• 2 years later...

I found these DCC Concepts pick ups a little while ago and have used them on some Triang EMU's to give additional pick ups on the 'Motor' car. The non-powered bogies have been replaced with Replica Railways Mk1 ones and re-wheeled with Hornby R8096 12.6mm axle sets, and the DCC Concepts pick ups fitted. Yes, very easy to fit, but the side load on the wheels is very high and without ballasting just makes the wheels drag along the track. Since it is a power car the additional weight and drag is not a problem, but when I used them on 'Clarabel' to create a 'sound van' for Thomas, the additional weight and drag is a real problem.

Will try the tip about 9B graphite - thanks.

I have seen some wound spring pick ups somewhere, but cannot now find them. Has anyone used these and do they work well?

Spring wound pick ups made from phosphor bronze wire are my usual pick ups of choice.

Try winding a length of phosphor bronze wire round a2mm drill or axle three times.

One tail should be left about 10mm long and the other tail shorter.

Solder the shorter length tail to a small piece of copper clad, so the spring is vertical and mount to chassis or underside with the longer tail rubbing on the back of the tyre of the wheel.

Gordon A

Islip

Yes your picture shows pretty much what I do, but I would add an extra coil to the spring.

At the moment I cannot tell you what thickness of wire I use - I believe it was the thinnest that Eileen's sell in the straight form.

Gordon A

Archived