Snowdon Mountain Railway 009

Hi all,

I thought some of you may be interested in a project that I am currently working on, the Snowdon Mountain Railway in 009.

So far I have made two steam locomotive bodies from ERTL die cast Godreds, even know they are just toys once some detail has been added they don't look too bad, I just need to get around to making a chassis for them to sit on.

12593446375_825f2c0979_z.jpg

14173251968_a5a269b700_z.jpg

Both are not yet finished.

I have also been working on one SMR diesel called 13 MAWR after the Marchlyn Mawr lake used as the high level water source for Dinorwig power station, it is made up of a kit bashed A1 models Baldwin Diesel Loco Bodyshell and fitted onto a kato chassis ,this model has been finished.

14126421247_8ede050e6e_z.jpg

14309618281_2c4f703869_z.jpg

SMR diesel 13 MAWR finished by chris bridges2, on Flickr

14312355624_fda59c4f7e_z.jpg

SMR diesel 13 MAWR finished by chris bridges2, on Flickr

So that the engines can make it up steep gradients I am going to use DDC Concepts Powerbase which from testing so far has been successful.

13998961370_cd0fea373a_z.jpg

Snowdon Mountain Railway 009 gradient test by chris bridges2, on Flickr

http://youtu.be/PPZD15WbHKw?list=UUvIdOQ4ruoYlv7hJisE5T1Q

I have also made a start on some rolling stock which are based upon the early carriages, so far I have made a roofed and a roofless version.

14418375953_73030fe968_z.jpg

Compleated carriage by chris bridges2, on Flickr

If you would like some more detailed info you can look on my workbench on the Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling Forum: 

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5997-chriss-009-workbench-rheilffordd-yr-wyddfa/page-3

Chris  :)

Thank you for all the likes! It is very much appreciated!

I wanted a challenge so hopefully it wont be a step to far for me to do! :unsure:

From looking into how to do the vale gear it does not look too bad as I am planning to use a Bachmann GP40 bogie for the bases of the chassis which means that I can use some vale gear from Langley Models double fairlie, with most of the rest coming from RT models vale gear components. For the rack as I am using DDC Concepts powerbase I can make a fake rack, this composes of normal 009 rails for the safety rails and the double rack will be made of piercing saw blades or some small cable ties/zip fasteners.

Chris :)

Really like the idea behind this
I do like the Snowden Mountain Railway
It's a joy to travel on

I've only ridden on it once - as I always walk the mountain when I'm there ;)
Gotta keep fit!

Looks a great project, and I'm sure those locos will look fine with a re-spray and some detailing
What will you do regarding the rack between the rails?
I'm assuming it would be cosmetic anyway...

EDIT: I'm sure there must be some product which makes it easier to represent,
but can't think of anything at the moment...

Cheers

Marc

Yep, a great idea Chris. A fascinating project of a very interesting prototype. Like Marc, I've only been on it once or twice, as I always walk up too, but it's always fun to watch the trains come and go.

You've made a good start already too. Will be watching your progress with interest. I presume your layout will include a scale model of Snowdon and maybe even the entire Snowdon Horseshoe?? That'd be good.  :jester:

Cheers

Dave

I have also only been on it twice and not made it to the top on both occasions due to the weather!! So I also walk up now, unfortunately I don't have large enough space for that larger layout but I shall see what I can do! :sungum: I have shown a couple of layout plans on Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling Forum but I will hold off from starting a page on here in till I start making it.  

I did have a look at those Kevin but they only have a single rack whereas on Snowdon there is a double rack.

There will be a small update tomorrow as I am going to start gradient testing with a carriage added.

Thanks Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

As some of you were interested here is a picture of the mock rack that I have been working on, it has been made using piercing saw blades and some normal rails either side, I am very happy with the results! 

14629880698_aef9ef9265.jpg

SMR Rack Mock by chris bridges2, on Flickr

Gradient testing with the carriage has been put on hold as I have been having a lot of trouble with derailing as the bogies as not fully sitting flat under the carriage.

Chris

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

At last some progress has been made! This week I have started to kit bash of a Schweizerische Industrie-Gesellschaft 1923 carriage in its later rebuilt form out of a Parkside Dundas Vale of Rheidol 3rd Class Bogie Coach. As normal with this project its not a accurate representation but in the image of model.

The carriage in question

16410599564_f2d14b5512_z.jpg

126_2664 by chris bridges2, on Flickr

First off the PD model was sanded down to remove all the wood effect panels and other details. 

17031599082_4a3bb21d47_z.jpg

DSC_0382 by chris bridges2, on Flickr

Then the doors were marked out.

17033045555_637e331e17_z.jpg

DSC_0392 by chris bridges2, on Flickr

Next door handles ect were added made out of staples.

16845254488_fdab617bfb_z.jpg

DSC_0388 by chris bridges2, on Flickr

I have also started on the front end of the carriage but as you can probably tell a bit of filling and sanding is required around the windows... 

16845270408_58fd8e23c6_z.jpg

DSC_0389 by chris bridges2, on Flickr

Thanks Chris

I just hope that I will complete the project and not lose interest!

No real serious modelling today; just creating a mock up of how the motor, gears and wheels will be held in the steam locos. The cab end with the motor will need supporting as it is a bit too heavy but will cross this bridge when I get to it. Also I have made the frame for the layout which I will start a thread for in due course.

17088761462_1211819b26_z.jpg

DSC_0259 by chris bridges2, on Flickr

16904043179_178900b2f4_z.jpg

DSC_0266 by chris bridges2, on Flickr

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Have finally had some progress with the 1923 built Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft carriage, it has now been assembled and painted and now requires some custom transfers.  

18780092936_291968e4cf_z.jpgWIP Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft by chris bridges2, on Flickr

18620183329_de94fe036a_z.jpgWIP Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft by chris bridges2, on Flickr

18806370325_eda56c072d_z.jpgWIP Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft by chris bridges2, on Flickr

In other news I have made the base board for the layout so I will made a thread for that in a little bit.

Thanks Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thank you for the likes!

Getting there now, I have added some home made transfers which I am very happy with for my first time of trying to make some.

19048331060_97bc8e33ac_z.jpg

Now with added transfers by chris bridges2, on Flickr

19209861906_b26d0e21a8_z.jpg

18613482254_db78dbe4b1_z.jpg

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

After finished one project I am onto anther. This time I am making another Hunslet based on the SMR ones, it will take the number 14 but I have not got a name yet. Again it is being made from an A1 models Baldwin body kit.

19669997421_725bfa39d5_z.jpg

No.14 by chris bridges2, on Flickr

So far the bonnet covers have been removed, holes for handrails drilled and the main bits folded but nothing has been glued/soldered together yet. 

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Almost there now, Hebron nameplates have been added and are very good quality for Narrow Plant as normal, some wasp stripe transfers made by myself has also been added. So not much more to do now, it needs a coat of satin varnish then glazing, crew and finally the roof can be glued in place.

20956203448_dfd1bb5cf8_z.jpg

No.14 Hebron by chris bridges2, on Flickr

20522993353_36630e42d6_z.jpg

21144119475_dca0424bb3_z.jpg

From looking at how to do the steam locos I have decided to put work on those on hold for the time being as currently I do not feel like I have the skills to do them. So instead I am going to have a go at one of the railcars as I have a chassis in mind and making a body to place on top is easier than making completed motion!

Chris

Archived