Kilbrannan Ferry

Rannoch Moor

• RMweb Gold

Well folks,

After a false start following the revamped RM Web (didn't really like the blog pages - sorry Andy!) thought it was time to extract the proverbial and revive the old layout thread. To remind those who were kind enough to read the old thread, and introduce the layout to those new members who might be intersted, Kilbrannan Ferry is a small terminus located on the Mull Of Kintyre, roughly where the real Carradale is today.

The concept follows a range of West Highland "might have beens", but in brief, is based on the premise that in the mid 1890's the Callander and Oban, supported financially by the Caley and government money intended to open up the area and stimulate the economy, struck a branch from Oban down the Mull of Kintyre to Campbeltown to plunder (!) the Irish, whisky and fishing traffic. The route is considered to have run from Oban via Kilmartin, Lochgilphead (for Inveraray), Tarbet and Kennacraig, Muasdale (request stop) and Campeltown. This followed generally benign terrain and was opened in 1896. The route follows the A819 and A83 roads as they exist today.

Not to be outdone, The North British threw more weight behind their pursuit of a route into the area and gained assent to construct a (far more challenging) route from the West Highland at Arrochar and Tarbert, striking through the Rest and Be Thankful (via some serious tunnels and civil engineering that only partially eased the challenge of cresting a pretty high Pass) to meet the Caley at Lochgilphead Jnc via stations at Cairndow and Inveraray. This was opened in 1902, shortly after the Mallaig Extension and just before the Ballachulish Branch. At this point, Lochgilphead (for Inveraray) was renamed Lochgilphead Jnc (a future project perhaps...!). At around the same time the Caley also opened a short (10 mile) branch from Campbeltown to Carradale that ended at Kilbrannan Ferry, the loading point for both fish traffic as well as what became a popular tourist embarkation point for travel to Lochranza in Arran.

In my imagination, the lines all survived into the present time, having succeeded in their objective of improving life and economic standards for thje local populace, if not entirely for the shareholders of the NBR and CR (and successors)!

The layout is under construction in my garage, is 4mm scale (EM Gauge)and is my first attempt at a layout since my teens in the early 80's. It is 14' x 2' and all track is now laid and mostly wired up with many of ther buildings and stock constructed over the past umpteen years (often at sea driving Her Majesty's Ships about, although not simultaneously obviously!!! :rolleyes: ). Attached is a track plan and a range of phots (most of which were posted on the old site. Hope you like them,

Gus

post-1879-12653225730015_thumb.jpgpost-1879-12653226149055_thumb.jpgpost-1879-12653226350102_thumb.jpgpost-1879-12653226632386_thumb.jpgpost-1879-12653226823918_thumb.jpgpost-1879-12653227131387_thumb.jpgpost-1879-12653227503629_thumb.jpgpost-1879-12653227646758_thumb.jpg

post-1879-12653231968245_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Just a few extra pictures of the bridge structure (now complete xmt installation) and some of the stock.

The Black 5 is Hornby fitted with a Brassmasters detailing kit and converted to EM using Alan Gibson wheels and the Class 27 was a very staightforward Alan Gibson wheel swap - the weathering is in progress as the roof is still too clean. It's based on a picture of D5361 on p42 of Robert Rowbotham's colour album "On West Highland Lines". Sorry the picture quality isn't up there with Barry Norman or Cap'n Kernow's!

The LNER Loco coal wagon and the LMS flat wagon ar both Chivers Finelines kits that I used to relax with in an Athens hotel room at the end of 2008 after some hectic (but superb fun) days training the Greek Navy's Fast Attack Craft...! I've included a new pic of the now long since completed signal box (that was started in the Falklands!).

Gus

post-1879-12653853992575_thumb.jpg

post-1879-12653854469867_thumb.jpg

post-1879-12653854808167_thumb.jpg

post-1879-12653855712091_thumb.jpg

post-1879-12653856272358_thumb.jpg

post-1879-12653856641888_thumb.jpg

post-1879-12653856871952_thumb.jpg

post-1879-1265386178529_thumb.jpg

Yet another superb Scottish layout developing. When i have a few minutes i will redraw the railway map of north west Scotland including all of the imaginary lines that have been modeled, i think it will resemble the welsh valleys in the 1920's!!, it just shows the appeal of Scotland railways, or is it just North west Scotland.

I'm just thinking of what the pull over Rest and be Thankfull would be like with a sea level start at both ends.

Gary

Guest Max Stafford

Fantastic modelling Gus! That box is a beauty and the 812(Jim Smellie's kit?)is a bit of a peach too! :icon_thumbsup2:

I know another couple of (ex) matelots that are superb modellers. Are you sure the Navy doesn't train in quality modelling too mate? ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments guys - Max, you're right enough, the 812 is indeed the Jim Smellie/Caley Coaches kit and lovely it was too. It runs well now, but alas when I was building it I attempted to fit it with Alan Gibson sprung hornblocks and c@5cked up the setting out of the hornways and horncheeks, introducing fore and aft movement which was not good. I replaced the underpinnings with an Easfield Models J37 chassis which was a superb move as it a. worked brilliantly with beam compensation and looked brilliant to boot.

Alas, the Eastfild Models chassis has since gone out of production (I used another one on a DJH J35) and I would give my eye teeth to find another. I have advertised on the Wanted Section on here before, but no joy unfortunately...! (Time to try again now I'm on I suppose...)

Gus

PS - think the weathering on the top of 57571 is possibly dust!

post-1879-1265475640183_thumb.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

If the Eastfield J37 chassis will do for an 812, that suggests it'll work the other way too then, if anybody's looking for a chassis for their NB models kit!

I imagine Jim could supply the 812 chassis etches separately too.

Dave.

EM gauge society price list lists frames for ? J37.

See: http://www.emgs.org/ for downloadable copy.

Cheers,

26power

If the Eastfield J37 chassis will do for an 812, that suggests it'll work the other way too then, if anybody's looking for a chassis for their NB models kit!

I imagine Jim could supply the 812 chassis etches separately too.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks for this link John, it's a gold mine! :) . Do you know if these come with spacers? I would use them for 00 too if possible.

Sorry for the hijack, Gus!

Dave.

Thanks for the comments guys - Max, you're right enough, the 812 is indeed the Jim Smellie/Caley Coaches kit and lovely it was too. It runs well now, but alas when I was building it I attempted to fit it with Alan Gibson sprung hornblocks and c@5cked up the setting out of the hornways and horncheeks, introducing fore and aft movement which was not good. I replaced the underpinnings with an Easfield Models J37 chassis which was a superb move as it a. worked brilliantly with beam compensation and looked brilliant to boot.

Alas, the Eastfild Models chassis has since gone out of production (I used another one on a DJH J35) and I would give my eye teeth to find another. I have advertised on the Wanted Section on here before, but no joy unfortunately...! (Time to try again now I'm on I suppose...)

Gus

PS - think the weathering on the top of 57571 is possibly dust!

Nothing wrong with dust- its how I weather most of my stock, it has to be coupled with long spells of inactivity to be effective though :rolleyes:

Richard

Yes, sorry for the hijack!

I've never used them but am pretty sure they are just the frames, especially as EM Soc. lists separate EM and P4 frame spacers - 2 options. ? Also probably from Alan Gibson - listed on relevant site:

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/

Gibson's doesn't seem to list anything for frame spacers, but I didn't look in detail. ? 

Comet has an etch under loco components on site - http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/ ? (not under loco chassis packs and components, which is where I looked first).

I would imagine pretty straightforward to narrow down the EM Soc etched strip to the right size, or even just cut from brass sheet. ? Hardest bit might be knowing the right width.

Better let the thread get back to what it should be about!

Cheers,

26power

• RMweb Gold

I've actually got a set of the Alan Gibson frames (they are the same as the EMGS ones I think too) but for the 498 Class 0-4-4T. The Eastfild Models set is very detailed and includes all sorts of refinements that the AG ones don't - that said, I think the AG ones might be the only option unless I get lucky with the Wanted Ad or in the second hand stalls at Glasgow in a couple of weeks,

Gus

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, despite the cold, managed to get out into the garage this week and progressed wiring up all the point motors (Fulgurex - even managed to wire up the crossovers so they work properly "in concert" from one switch. Unfortunately, flushed and over-confident with success with the one at the country end and with managing to get the tandem working first try, I managed to somehow kill one of the motors on the platform release crossover. No idea how, but most likely due to applying the iron for too long or too carelessly :angry: Well, that is one extra purchase that will need to be made on Friday at the SECC...

I must admit, that despite the above co#* up, I have been quite encouraged by how starightforward the wiring has been, both generally and in terms of point control. I will try and post a phot of the control panel and wiring diagram tonight, but basically my scheme is traditional common return wiring with feeds being applied via SPST switches and power supplied via a guagemaster cased transformer and a Simulator Handheld. The points are fed via a 12V DC plug in transformer via DPDT switches to change the supply polarity (crossing polarity changes are effected via the switch contacts on the point motors themselves). Whilst I read many books, the easiest to follow was Iain Rice's wiring chapter in his Railway Modelling title (published by Haynes at the start of 2008. The instructions on the Fulgurex point cards were also easy to follow once I had figured out how to supply the power (didn't want to use an old controller as I need that for bench resting locos).

Early SOCS (sailor speak for System Operator Checks) using the 812 above seem fine but full power trials will be conducted once I get the above crossover sorted out.

Will post some phots to explain the above tonight or tomorrow,

Cheers

Gus

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, got the motor replaced (finally) on the station end crossover, wired it up to the now dangling leads that ran to the last one (see post above...), connected to power, threw the switch and nothing!!! All the other motors worked, so swapped the connections, applied the ammeter everywhere (supply seemed to be getting through OK) complete mystery. Slept on the issue and then Eureka! Realised about 0400 that I must have wired the DPDT switch up wrong. (Mrs Rannoch Moor was so pleased when I shook her awake to share the good news). Sure enough, problem solved, and now all the track supplies and all of the motors fitted now work. Next job is to create the fiddle yard which will be a 3' 6" long train table style effort.

Watch this space!

Brilliant plan and superb modelling.

One problem howeverlaugh.gif The line to Cambletown went via Loch Caolisport and then back accross the 'Mull' to Tarbert before heading south. Achahoish Junction is a real place, "just been there myslelf this evening".

Thats the way it goes on my map in my loft anyway.

All of us West Highland should have been modellers really should have got together before we started.

Great stuff

cheerio

Claggy

• RMweb Gold

Claggy,

Many thanks - I wish that some of all those lines had been built in 1/1 scale, but I suppose that 2/4/7mm will have to suffice. Must admit though, that in my last assignment, I loved the regular drive from Faslane to Campbeltown to sea-ride a Minehunter so I could "survey" another stretch of the line!

All,

Progress this past weekend has been focussed on my Standard 4MT 2-6-4T that I converted to EM about 18 months ago. Testing the layout with it suggested that its running wasn't up to scratch (thought it was the layout at first, or dirty track, as it seemed OK when I converted it*) so I've been cleaning its wheels, checking the pick-ups (including easing the pressure for the 2 "backscratchers" on the front drivers, all to no avail. The beast runs quite well slowly on the rolling road (Bacchrus) but hunts with an apparent tight spot when speed is increased. The quartering looks OK on the Gibson wheels, but I will re-check that (and that the false frames aren't causing interference) tonight. I'll also try and take/post some pic of my current nemesis just to keep things visually intersting!

ATB

Gus

* PS Could have been I was too easily pleased then!

Guest Max Stafford

Sounds like a strange one, Gus. Quartering is usually the first suspect, but it might be a good idea to check the gears themselves, you may have a damaged tooth on one of the cogs. I've had the odd nasty surprise from that quarter in the past. Anyway, some photies would be nice, we've not seen nearly enough of your magic in recent weeks!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Dave,

Here's a couple of the beast along with Campbeltown Shed's (63F) new BRCW Type 2... (Best get them up before I commence tonight's clash...)

post-1879-126868032865_thumb.jpgpost-1879-126868037582_thumb.jpgpost-1879-126868041952_thumb.jpg

I really must get a better camera soon!

Guest 30-something

Hi

Could you tell me who makes the embossed plasticard you've used on the overbridge sides and also for the capping?

Regards

Joe

• RMweb Gold

Dave - You don't surprise me!

Joe - The overbridge rivetted capping that completely surrounds the central girder web is from the Wills Varigirder kit. The rivetted strip that lies against the face of the web is Mainly Trains rivet strip (for wagon strapping I think) that was annealed on a flame so it would bend around the curves. The stonework is also Wills random Stone - not sure of the colours yet, Ben Alder's Kylesku really nails that one, I think, with his retaining wall behind his platform. He has a link above to his layout, which is well worth a visit (or 3).

Anyway, I think I might be winning the battle with 80093, a tweak at the central wheelset quartering seems to have sorted the beast in push along mode - will commence powered trials after I collect my daughter from Scouts in a minute

TTFN

G

Archived