L&Y diagram 3 van roof hatch

Spitfire2865

Hello. Im wondering if anyone has any photos or reference to this wagon and its roof hatch. The David Geen kit is a little vague on that part and I cant even find photos of it through google.

The roof hatch was on one side only, but did it end at the centerline of the roof?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

I will have a look in my books and get back to you after eating pizza....The wagons have two roof doors which both go to the centre rail that holds the wagon together. The pictures I have looked at are in Noel Coates book L&Y Wagons vol 1 ISBN 0 906867 87 8 a wild swan publication. Joining the L&Y society would allow you to access a lot more information even if you only joined for a year.

• RMweb Premium

It depends on what year your modelling them. As far as I can see, the LMS started to renumber & reletter them early in the piece, but by 1925, it appeared that the LMS were unhappy with the maintenance required & started to strengthen them. This involved adding angles in the corners, vertical strapping in the middle of the panels either side of the door & removing the movable roofs.

So decisions, decisions!

• RMweb Premium

For the roof door to be open the side door should be open too and the van under a crane of some sort. If you left it in weathered grey with L&Y peeling off and an LMS number stencilled on that should cover it I think.

His website has the e-mail address

sales@davidgeen.co.uk

He doesnt have access to the internet and his email is host to tons of spam. He doesnt check it.

hi there,  the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Societies Newsletter No. 209 dated Feb 2001 contains a double page spread on "modelling tarpaulin roof doors on Lanky covered goods wagons". I can try and scan it if you like.

Yes please. Would be very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

HI there I have managed to scan the roof details from the LY Society newsletter and have also included some details from the David Geen kit.

http://i.imgur.com/apB2IL3.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/pxMu6qV.jpg

Thanks but already had those two references. The first from the L&Y society already and the second from the kit. Though that second scan is a but cleaner than my copy.

Archived