Lima final drive gears

Does anyone know of a source of final drive gears for Lima mechanisms?

I have been given a large bag of assorted computer drive motors etc, and fancy using up some retirement time experimenting with some old Locos here.

I was going to ditch them, but as we can't ever seem to throw anything away........

Should prove to be fun...... If I can source the gears needed for the motors.

Wow! What can I say but thanks!

Yes pics would be A great help, so once again thanks.

It's amazing the amount of high quality motors that must get ditched, I have dozens here and thought I'd have some fun fiddling about.

So again thanks for any advice, pics and knowledge!

Ps.....it's mainly 4 wheel bogies....to start with!

• 1 month later...

I think they are naturally noisy compared to what we have come to expect from new state of the art RTR, although ensuring they are clean and carefully lubricated should help a bit.

If it really bothers you then there isn't really a way out, but remember real locos make quite a racket as well! You could run them listening to music.

John.

Does anyone know of a source of final drive gears for Lima mechanisms?

I have been given a large bag of assorted computer drive motors etc, and fancy using up some retirement time experimenting with some old Locos here.

Scalextric pinions are what you need.

Dscf4226640_zps362d1ca8.jpg

Hi Guys

I have a Lima Class 37 & a 73 and I was wondering if anybody has any advice on how to quieten their motors down. I run them occasionally but due to the noise the motors make they have been relegated to display shelves.

Any advice would be most useful and welcome.

Hopefully, something on here will help, and you can get your 37 and 73 back where they belong :-

Good luck.

That is very good!  One thing though - early Deltics (and possibly others) had retaining clip secured gears. On these they were not as geared down as the later hex screw secured type. Having one less set of gears, as well as the motor itself spinning more slowly, means that the earlier clip secured versions are quieter at speed. I guess the later ones have more pulling power and improved slow speed performance, but as I have a roundy roundy where the loco's are mostly run at speed I prefer the earlier quieter 'overdrive' version.

Archived