Model Rail December

dibber25

December Model Rail publishes November 20.

In this issue: Reviews: Arnold Brighton Belle, Heljan Class 40, Farish Class 37/4, Farish Polybulk and Mk1 CCT. Layouts - Totnes (GWR/OO), Shunting Plank (BR/N), Garston for Welby (LNER/OO). Features: Banana Trains, Push-pull on a budget, Thomas the Tank Engine models. Workbench: Restoring an old layout, Make modern excursion stock in 'N', Build a wayside halt.

Q&A - fitting Severn Mill plates to a Western. Backscene - thoughts on duplication. 

post-1062-0-57777700-1415705618_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Good issue - as is usually the case at the moment and some interesting words on duplication from Chris in his 'Backscene' column.  However I think he missed one further point, perhaps relevant to many modellers(?) when discussing duplication and that is the area of detail and depth of prototype realism etc.  The rush to not only declare that models are being developed but have actually advanced to tooling can be short-changing the modeller in other ways as research of the prototype  has not been carried in depth and potentially errors can result.

I get the impression that in some cases - possibly in the interests of secrecy or stealing a march on their rivals - some folk are rushing to the tooling stage without even bothering to look at the prototype or even consult experts about a particular engine or class.  Thus the run the risk of missing the information that delving much deeper than the contents of books and photographs can provide.  In the meanwhile those taking a longer look before committing and announcing are being trumped at the goal post.

It would be invidious to name names of course but the fact that two well known names with established reputations are now unlikely to produce certain locos because of wishing to avoid such duplication can possibly be as much the modellers' loss as any other result of companies working along similar paths.

The problem also - as I have said elsewhere on the forum - seems in part to stem from 'wishlst 'skimming' as much as from any predetermined long term strategy and business plan.

Good issue - as is usually the case at the moment and some interesting words on duplication from Chris in his 'Backscene' column.  However I think he missed one further point, perhaps relevant to many modellers(?) when discussing duplication and that is the area of detail and depth of prototype realism etc.  The rush to not only declare that models are being developed but have actually advanced to tooling can be short-changing the modeller in other ways as research of the prototype  has not been carried in depth and potentially errors can result.

I get the impression that in some cases - possibly in the interests of secrecy or stealing a march on their rivals - some folk are rushing to the tooling stage without even bothering to look at the prototype or even consult experts about a particular engine or class.  Thus the run the risk of missing the information that delving much deeper than the contents of books and photographs can provide.  In the meanwhile those taking a longer look before committing and announcing are being trumped at the goal post.

It would be invidious to name names of course but the fact that two well known names with established reputations are now unlikely to produce certain locos because of wishing to avoid such duplication can possibly be as much the modellers' loss as any other result of companies working along similar paths.

The problem also - as I have said elsewhere on the forum - seems in part to stem from 'wishlst 'skimming' as much as from any predetermined long term strategy and business plan.

I think the question of varying degrees of research has as much to do with the attitude and tastes of the commissioning person(s) as it has to do with time and gaining an advantage over a rival. If we take white metal kits as an example, some were excellent, well researched and accurate, and others..... well, others weren't. Even with my limited experience of the commissioning side (often only checking livery detail for limited editions) I know how easy it is to miss something important. There is also the question of compromises which are sometimes essential where a detail cannot be altered to suit every individual prototype due to the sheer cost of moulds with multiple different inserts. Someone has to take a value judgement - do we cater for the  loco with the non-standard detail, regardless of cost or do we with stick with the 'standard' arrangement. Then there's that awful moment when you spot a problem just too late to get it corrected. Do you scrap thousands of pounds worth of tools to correct something that was sufficiently insignificant that you didn't notice it first time around? When we're down to locos like the Adams Radial, there's really no excuse for duplication. Ditch it - do a 'J70', for instance. Equally charismatic. More of them. Idiosyncratic branch line that's very popular just like Lyme Regis. Other uses too, in docks etc. The choices are there - at least in steam locos.

CHRIS LEIGH

I still think MODELRAIL is the best quality model magazine on  the market,

Hmm, quality content maybe, but the quality of the physical product is questionable IMO. The paper is still rather thin and flimsy (comparatively to other mags) and the printing, on this issue for my copy, is very dark making it difficult to discern details on some pictures.

I enjoyed the banana train article, having read it I assume that my lovely cream coloured Peco SR n gauge banana vans aren't prototypical at all, they will at least require some heavy weathering.

Sorry, but I'm afraid you can have any colour you like so long as its bauxite, to mis-quote Henry Ford. But, if you like them in cream, run them in cream. (I have a Class 156 painted in MacBrayne's bus colours. I did because I like the colour scheme and wanted to see how it looked on a train). We shouldn't get too bogged down with accuracy, it can spoil your enjoyment. Just been looking at another thread about the light levels in Hornby Mk1s. I spent many a long night in Mk1 coaches but I wouldn't begin to remember how light it was or wasn't, or indeed whether the light was yellow or white.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Just downloaded on my iPad having one of those sleepless nights - probably 10 hours straight on the computer earlier today has gone straight to the brain.

Agree re Chris's banana van article very informative and good modelling tips. I have a number of the Dapol vans to model trains from Avonmouth, but must get a few more. I'd be interested to know when these trains ceased traffic as I'm pretty certain they were running in the mid-1970s but then memory of over 40 years ago tends to be +|- 5 years or so. Perhaps what I saw was barrier wagons as a lot of ammonia and other noxious tanks were Avonmouth bound.

Neil

Just downloaded on my iPad having one of those sleepless nights - probably 10 hours straight on the computer earlier today has gone straight to the brain.

Agree re Chris's banana van article very informative and good modelling tips. I have a number of the Dapol vans to model trains from Avonmouth, but must get a few more. I'd be interested to know when these trains ceased traffic as I'm pretty certain they were running in the mid-1970s but then memory of over 40 years ago tends to be +|- 5 years or so. Perhaps what I saw was barrier wagons as a lot of ammonia and other noxious tanks were Avonmouth bound.

Neil

Like most specific traffics, I struggled to find out exactly when banana traffic finished. I recall once trying to find out when the last cattle was moved by rail. Again, impossible from the usual sources. However, Paul Bartlett tells me that BR did try to hang on to the banana traffic and even fitted one of the modern airbrake vans (can't now remember what code he said) for the traffic. I just remember journeys on the M3 soon after it opened, passing an endless stream of artics with big pictures of bananas on the side. Can't now recall whether they were Geest, Fyffes or both.

CHRIS LEIGH

Neil

Working in IT, this is a major problem and I've discovered this software - it works very well for me.

Hope this is of help, and sorry for hijacking the thread!

Phil

just read the article regarding updating Ian Futers old layout Scotswood Road, it says the layout is 30 years old, when I operated the layout with Ian 2 years ago at the Nottingham show, Ian said that it was his latest creation and it was only its second time out. its either a typo or a bit of creative journalism. look forward to seeing the transformation, a while back I put Loch Lochy into Google to find pics of Ians old layout, the chap who bought it has totally re-built it bar the buildings and it looks impressive.

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, quality content maybe, but the quality of the physical product is questionable IMO. The paper is still rather thin and flimsy (comparatively to other mags) and the printing, on this issue for my copy, is very dark making it difficult to discern details on some pictures.

Definitely, and I've had this discussion with one of the guys who works at Steam Railway as well. I'd buy both MR and SR more often if, for the sake of 30p or so, it was printed on decent paper. Not a massive increase in price, but a decent increase is quality.

Definitely, and I've had this discussion with one of the guys who works at Steam Railway as well. I'd buy both MR and SR more often if, for the sake of 30p or so, it was printed on decent paper. Not a massive increase in price, but a decent increase is quality.

I was once told that EMAP (as it then was) magazines used in excess of 10,000tons of paper a year. Bulk buying of paper inevitably brings big advantages in price. Model Rail is one small fish in a big pond and we can't have special treatment. Nevertheless the 'p'-word (as it is known) continues to be raised when appropriate and we are always hopeful for a breakthrough. The problem is, that to produce a noticeable improvement in paper weight, the cost is a LOT more. It's one instance where the smaller publishers do have an advantage.

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris mentions the end of the Bananas. There were still 220 on the revenue wagon lists in March 1977 but if they were still being properly used I don't know.

200386 a VCB (the type with a pair of central doors more usually associated with tinplate traffic) was prepared experimentally for Banana traffic.

Paul

The 'Heading for a fall' article in issue 203  contains some uncomfortable truths that people on these hallowed pages would

benefit from reading. We are often told that all those lovely Scottish pre-group steam classes have a 'narrow market'

and thus will  'never' make production. Well it seems that the hobby is becoming a collection of such markets, ones that will get thinner

as the baby boomers pop their clogs, and now we have on offer at least one Adams Radial tank, which has a very narrow appeal for layout builders

though the collectors market will no doubt soak up a run of them. The entry of 2 newcomers into the market  IS to be welcomed but as Chris Leigh

points out the longer term effects may not be good for us as a whole.

The 'Heading for a fall' article in issue 203  contains some uncomfortable truths that people on these hallowed pages would

benefit from reading. We are often told that all those lovely Scottish pre-group steam classes have a 'narrow market'

and thus will  'never' make production. Well it seems that the hobby is becoming a collection of such markets, ones that will get thinner

as the baby boomers pop their clogs, and now we have on offer at least one Adams Radial tank, which has a very narrow appeal for layout builders

though the collectors market will no doubt soak up a run of them. The entry of 2 newcomers into the market  IS to be welcomed but as Chris Leigh

points out the longer term effects may not be good for us as a whole.

....and at the time I wrote it, I was unaware that a fourth Adams Radial was on the horizon - from Hornby - and that's it is clearly at quite an advanced stage of development. Nor was I aware that duplication of Class 71s is now likely.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

....and at the time I wrote it, I was unaware that a fourth Adams Radial was on the horizon - from Hornby - and that's it is clearly at quite an advanced stage of development. Nor was I aware that duplication of Class 71s is now likely.

CHRIS LEIGH

I too read your wise words with much interest and take due notice as an upcoming "clog-popper". Before my valedictory stopping train to the hereafter,on the question of duplication...the hot topic of the moment....the question arises :do model manufacturers talk to each other ? If not,then why not ?

I too read your wise words with much interest and take due notice as an upcoming "clog-popper". Before my valedictory stopping train to the hereafter,on the question of duplication...the hot topic of the moment....the question arises :do model manufacturers talk to each other ? If not,then why not ?

It's illegal under competition law. I asked once at a meeting with Hornby and was advised that any such talking to competitors would bring accusations of a cartel. One of the ways duplication CAN be controlled, to a degree, is by locomotive owners 'licensing' reproductions of their locomotives. I understand that this happened recently when a manufacturer requested permission to scan a particular locomotive. However, if more than one example of a class exists (as for instance with the 'Castle' or 'Manor' classes) then a manufacturer refused a license by one owner, (because he's already licensed someone else) can simply move on to a different owner. It would thus work with the Adams Radial, but not for instance, with the 'King'.

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi Grahame,

I have to agree with you sadly despite being a long term subscriber.  When Model Rail was first published it was a breath of fresh air and there is no doubt in my mind that it breathed new life in to the model railway press at the time.  Chris and Nigel's stewardship saw a high quality (content and production) magazine being released month after month and as a result I have every copy from issue 1 stored away in binders.

The trouble with leading the way is that others will often follow, imitate and ultimately improve on what you are doing unless you keep innovating yourself.  Other titles have raised their game significantly and relatively new comers like Hornby MAGAZINE have fantastic production qualities.  Even Railway Modeller has improved beyond all recognition and BRM seems to be going the way of Model Railroader and embracing a multi-media experience.

Since Model Rail left eMAP it seems to have stuck in a rut apart from the move to perfect binding.  The paper used is thin and gives the publication a cheap feel which does not do the contents justice.  Also, where are the innovations that Model Rail was famous for?  One day it would have been Chris etc. who would have led the way with online forum's like RMweb, multi-media, etc. etc.  Even the recent 150th anniversary edition went by without a mention.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Model Rail and I do not see me cancelling my subscription but it needs a make over IMHO.  I am sure the MR team are working very hard and in no way are these comments meant to be anything other than my personal and constructive opinion.

Kind regards

Paddy

Archived