Passenger services to Heathfield Devon Sun 22nd Dec

Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Gold

The Branch Line Society have organized 7 return trips from Newton Abbot to Heathfield this Sunday, 22nd Dec. First passenger service since closure in 1959, more info on BLS website. Last train at 15.55 includes Heathfield station loop and end of line. http://www.branchline.org.uk/events.php

We were told about a competition yesterrday for children to get free tickets from a contact at Travel Devon and managed to score a family ticket on first train :)

• RMweb Gold

Actually Rich, there have been other passenger charters over the branch, including steam in 2000 and others since then. It's not that unusual, in my experience.

The trips are most definitely NOT organised by the BLS - the impetus for them came from an approach by the Dame Hannah Rogers charitable establishment at Seale Hayne, Newton Abbot to FGW, for some Santa Specials. We have organised them on that basis, although I will concede that the BLS have chartered approx half of the final trip. As such, this trip will have to run over both sides of the loop at Heathfield and also into and out of 'Platform 9' at Newton Abbot.

No one is getting in or out at Heathfield, and I must remind anyone considering taking photos there that this location, including the old platforms, is now considered to be 'on or about the line', so the usual PTS rules will apply.

Archived