Castle Class CAB FLOOR - wood or chequerplate ?

STILL A WORK-IN-PROGRESS...

post-24572-0-15677500-1423619867_thumb.jpg

...and yes, Jan, that is a firebox flap resting on a metal plate ;-)

Work Completed:

• Boiler 'blackened' in semi-matt (unstirred Humbrol enamel matt black) Boiler Black paint, with prototypical lighter green interior paintwork on inside of cab (and various Notices / stencils still to be added) ;
  • Copper/brass pipework picked out with a Sharpie 'brass' metallic pen ;
  • Instrument dials painted white, edged with metallic pen, and 'glazed' with Humbrol Clear ;
  • Floor detailed with etched chequerplate, matchstick wood section, and brass plate/hatch in front of firebox (with a small amount of coal dust spillage*) ;
  • Firebox doors remodelled and 3V 3mm flickering Firebox LED fitted and wired in (resistors to protect 3V LED in 12V DC through 'overload' 18V for DCC, and Bridge Rectifier so LED always receives the correct current polarity in forward and reverse, as well as an application of Tamiya X-26 Clear Orange glaze to enhance the orange glow of the LED) ;
  • Firebox Flap modelled and fitted to the front on the firebox ;
  • Crew fitted, with addition of real coal to fireman's shovel ;
  • Etched brass Fall-plate fashioned and fitted (using 'silver' Sharpie pen with black acrylic wash, for correct colouration of the coal dusted steel plate).
  • [ Additional fireirons, tools, and tea jug, etc.; cab glazing; and remodelled (later Castle production) handrails, to be added later. ]

*Note: there's too much coal spillage in the photograph, as the picture was taken just after I'd sprinkled dust over small amounts of PVA before brushing away the excess. There will only be a very tiny bit of dust in front of the firebox, and in a few corners, in the finished model.

[ Floor needs sweeping. There's actually only a very small amount of coal dust spillage glued in front of the firebox flap. That's just the dust I sprinkled onto the PVA glue, not the finished effect. Also, the handles, at the back of the cab are being replaced with brass fittings; including the later type under window handles, which should extend to just over halfway up the front window on later Castle builds. ]

Rick

Edited by 70021 Morning Star

Took these on 5051 today showing the wood/metal floor.

Nice. And very useful for those like the Cromford and High Peak (so inclined). I recall - uh oh, here we go again... - that some of the ex-WR engines we had at Toddy had the damper handles facing front and back depending on which damper they operated.... Useful in the dark places like Greet tunnel (not that you should be messing with the controls in there; as a fireman, you should have had it sorted before you entered :) )

Cheers

Jan

Brian,

Wonderful, just wonderful. ...but, couldn't you have sent them before I did the modelling ?

Only kidding. Those pictures are just great. I can now go ahead and shorten the fall-plate, so the Airfix can get around the curves, and have the detail correct.

Incidentally, I used flexible PVA adhesive to mount the fall-plate. It allows it to move up and down, so that my hinge-brackets are only there as 'eye candy', not functional.

Thank you,

Rick

PROJECT RETURNING TO MAIN '7016 CHESTER CASTLE SOUTH WALES PULLMAN (1958)' THREAD

I set up this thread to investigate some specific questions about Cab Detailing on the Castle class locomotive. With people's help, I think we've about covered this topic - although additional information is always welcomed - so I'm now going to discontinue regular updates on this thread and will continue the story of modelling 7016 Chester Castle on its main thread at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94954-7016-chester-castle-south-wales-pullman-1958/

Just one last thing on Cab Detailing of the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby Castle, Cobach47 has kindly sent me a damaged body shell. This shows that the cab section, roof, front and sides, are easily removed from the footplate and boiler section. They're glued at the bottom of the side panels, and the front section slides into a slot between the boiler and the firebox. (I'll add a picture here, next time I have my camera out.) I'd suggest anyone doing detailing work on a Castle removes the cab top, sides and front section, to gain better access when detailing the pipework, dials, and footplate. It'll sure make life easier; especially when adding the locomotive number and shed code to the inside of the roof.

Thanks for all your help and hope to see you on the main 7016 thread,
Rick

• 3 years later...