Jaymz' Modelling Adventures: Currently a Connoisseur Models LNER G5 in 7mm scale

I've finally decided to start a workbench thread containing the various bits and bobs I'm working on. Be prepared for an update of one project, followed months later by something else entirely! The ease at which I can be distracted amazes even me at times! All it can take is seeing a single photo our magazine article and I'm off on a tangent!

So this is where we begin...

DJH ex-LNER D20

A chance find on a certain internet auction site produced a very cheap, and complete with wheels kit of the venerable 4-4-0. I know the kit is not the most accurate (especially the tender) but I want to make the best job I can of it. Progress thus far has seen the chassis assembled, main body components and tender soldered together and some of the other bits cleaned up and test fitted.

After looking through various books and websites for reference photos, and acquiring a copy of Yeadon and the Railway Modeller scale drawings, I have decided to build this as No 62396 as it was one of the few to receive a late crest and retain the original smokebox. I will however have to alter the frames above the footplate, but with plasticard that should be fairly simple.

To break up this monotonous text, here are a few images of progress so far...

First up is the chassis, DJH screw together, secured with solder. It's an old process, but it rolls nice and smoothly!

post-7895-0-24460200-1431410416_thumb.jpg

I wasn't too keen on the axle boxes on the tender when I did a dry run, so I've made a subchassis to fit in between the frames so that the wheels don't slop about too much. It runs pretty smoothly to say it's just knocked up from some plasticard.

post-7895-0-60112100-1431410673_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-30524400-1431410690_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-68470400-1431410707_thumb.jpg

The smokebox door has had the dart fitted, complete with characteristic indentation in the end of the locking pin.

post-7895-0-58150100-1431410813_thumb.jpg

Finally a couple of photos of the whole thing with the chimney, dome, cab roof and smokebox door resting in place.

post-7895-0-60311400-1431410779_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-90371200-1431410799_thumb.jpg

I've got a High-level highflier on the way, complete with Mashima 1020 motor, which should got on the front driving wheel providing the test fitting I did with templates from the website is right!

Next report hopefully when I've got a powered chassis!

Cheers

J

Edited by JaymzHatstand
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Jaymz.

Going to be an interesting build in between in between other distractions! :D

Look forwards to updates.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the kind responses!

The high-level gearbox arrived yesterday and this morning the initial frame of it has been cleaned up, folded and test fitted. My planning on where the motor would sit was correct, however it makes removing the chassis impossible! So a bit of experimenting and it will all fit, driving onto the front wheels, but with the motor in the firebox area instead.

Next up is cutting the layshafts for the gears and final assembly of the 'box!

That can wait for another day, especially as I can't find my cutting discs!

Cheers

J

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've got some new cutting discs, and the layshafts and motor tail rod have been cut to length. I've also fashioned a method of maintaining the gearbox in position using two bits of copper clad sleeper, one soldered to the frames, the other on the gearbox. See the pictures for more details...

post-7895-0-04901400-1432315319_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-65495700-1432315354_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-96577000-1432315378_thumb.jpg

The gearbox has also been test assembled and given a run to make sure it works, and like magic it does! And very smooth it is too! A quick double check was made to ensure the body would still fit, thankfully it does!

post-7895-0-89219300-1432315402_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-49868400-1432315417_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-72898000-1432315435_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-37663900-1432315279_thumb.jpg

Before the chassis gets its final clean and painting, I have added the hangers for the brake gear, which is designed to be removable, held in place by the bod retaining screw under the cab, and a small drop of glue at the front.

post-7895-0-51337400-1432315462_thumb.jpg

Once the chassis is painted, it'll be assembled and then hopefully won't have to come apart again!

Cheers

J

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the chassis is all painted and assembled, the final drive gear has been fastened and the whole lot test run and thanks to the gearbox is smooth and quiet! Next up were the coupling rods, and with a bit of fettling I had a fully functioning 0-4-0

The tender chassis has been wired for pickup as well and a decoder socket and 'devil's plug' included! I wonder if there's a suitable sound recording, the new RR A3 might do the job with its generic cylinder beat and high pitched whistle.

post-7895-0-74655900-1433516934_thumb.jpg

As the version I have chosen to model has the super-heated smokebox, I've had to extend the one in the kit, adding a total of 3mm to the length of it, 1mm on the front and 2mm on the rear with some brass strip soldered on. It might not be 100% accurate but visually looks about right. The frames will also be getting their upper extensions in the same fashion.

post-7895-0-81008600-1433516904_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-00764900-1433516918_thumb.jpg

The chimney, cab roof and dome are all just resting in place at the moment, but it's certainly beginning to take shape!

Cheers

J

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Well, I can almost hear the shouts of 'it's all gone quiet over there', And indeed they have! I've been spending most of my time getting Whitborough ready for the exhibition it was at last weekend so D20 progress ground to a halt! I did take it with me though and have the chassis a bit of a run! Thanks to the fella who gave me a few tips on improving the haulage, I'm sure they'll be useful later!

For now though it's on a backburner as my 009 layout, Scrayingham is booked to appear at the Hartlepool show in October so I'll be turning my attention to that (mostly)

This weekend has seen me building a Ffestiniog bogie brake, as supplied in 1880. Both still exist but were heavily modified for passenger accommodation. Using the plans from the 7mm narrow gauge associations book, I scanned, scaled and printed out some 4mm plans and set to work with plasticard and evergreen strip.

I surprised myself with how far I got in a couple of days, the whole thing is next to compete and ready for painting. All that remains are the sliding doors for the sides and the guard rails for the balcony.

I think it will end up in the dark plum Victorian livery like the Curly Roofed van, although I'm not sure how prototypical that would be as they were introduced just prior to the livery changing on passenger stock.

post-7895-0-05236800-1437943065_thumb.jpg

Floor cut to size, along with a 7mm scale one for comparison

post-7895-0-57243200-1437943007_thumb.jpg

Checked for size against plans

post-7895-0-74699400-1437943083_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-39292000-1437943107_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-18505200-1437943133_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-97329600-1437943168_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-92045500-1437943201_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-58956900-1437943234_thumb.jpg

Vents for the dog box drilled and cut

post-7895-0-46288500-1437943253_thumb.jpg

with bogies fitted and roof resting in place.

Fingers crossed for some more rapid progress!

Cheers

J

• Like 7

Thanks very much!

I made a start on the doors the other day, but ran out of Evergreen strip, so that had to wait until I could make a trip to Monk Bar Models, and picked up their last pack of the required stripping! I have since finished off and fitted the doors.

Today had also seen the brake column added from a Parkside spare (never throw anything away kids!) The truss rods and guard rails have been made from plastic rod, I originally intended to use brass rod, but I had the plastic in front of me and thought I'd give it a try. If it turns out that they are too fragile I can easily replace them with brass.

post-7895-0-51945700-1438601646_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-81397000-1438601665_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-97466200-1438601695_thumb.jpg

The only things left now are the door handles and runners for the side doors and she's ready for the paint shop. I am rather begrudged to paint it as it looks quite smart as is! I'm thinking the Victorian Plum livery will suit it well though, but the lining on the curly roof van may be a bit of an unnecessary pain!

https://www.festipedia.org.uk/w/images/6/6d/Curly_Roof_Blodge_2.jpg

Cheers

J

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

With the bogie brake pretty much structurally compete (handrails and door handles being left off until after painting) I thought I'd get a couple of coats of undercoat on, if only to make it look a bit tidier! I had intended to leave it thus until my two bug boxes, small Birmingham and bowsider were all ready for painting, and do them in one fell swoop of my airbrush.

This idea didn't last! After two coats of PP L&Y Coach Plum and some H27 on the roof, I couldn't resist taking a few photos!

post-7895-0-36765200-1441131518_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-55923800-1441131555_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-21629300-1441131568_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-41581600-1441131582_thumb.jpgpost-7895-0-65157000-1441131595_thumb.jpg

I'm still undecided about lining, I think it would look very smart if I got it right (big if!) But it can easily be pressed into service as is. Decisions decisions!

Cheers

J

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave!

I've bitten the bullet and got my bow pen out and assaulted the bogie van. The raised panel lines made it easy enough to line the various lines. There's a bit of tidying up to do, but I certainly looks a lot less like a big dark box!

The Brian Madge Hunslet has finally had its turned dome and nameplates fitted along with the Narrow Planet builders plates, so it's a complete loco! It's going to stay in 'works grey' livery for the foreseeable future, as I quite like it and I have a couple of other dark red locos (or will have eventually)

Both of the above can be seen on test, arriving at Scrayingham. Just the rear coupling of the van needs a slight adjustment for reliable performance!

post-7895-0-17393900-1443632727_thumb.jpg

Cheers

J

• Like 7

• 9 months later...

what's this, another massive gap and all of a sudden a post in my workbench?! That must mean I've got a show coming up! That's right, on the 31st of this month, Scrayingham will be at the Thirsk show.

One thing I've wanted to do for a while is have more bespoke stock with an LNER feel to it, rather than the selection of Welsh flavoured items I have at present. Not there's anything wrong with my Welsh stock, and that will be most useful when I get my main home layout started!

So my thoughts turned to my carriage fleet, and how I could add a second rake similar to my 'teak' set, but not the same. So I've elected to experiment with articulation!

Two of Parksides FR style panelled composites have entered the erecting shop and some modifications to the ends with some plasticard brackets. At present the screw sits in the pivot hole of the bogie, but I suspect a longer pin and a bolt will be better in the long run.

Enough waffle, here are some photos...

IMAG3089_1_zpsuwkokzbn.jpg

IMAG3090_zpsiqjku3je.jpg

IMAG3092_1_zpskpbwpnwc.jpg

IMAG3093_1_zpsi6lcsvp1.jpg

As a first experiment, it seems to be spot on with plenty of flex for curves.

I also have the observation carriage to go with the pair which may offer a hint as to what the final plan is!

Hopefully they'll be on test, if not in full service by Thirsk for those of you who'll be there to cast your eyes on!

Cheers

J

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As some of you may have seen, the artic pair made their public debut at the Thirsk show a week or so ago. They are as yet unfinished, still lacking glazing and passengers, but presentable (or I consider them so!)

There is a photo of them in action on my layout thread, but for those who haven't seen, here is a shot of them in the station, with their associated observation carriage.

IMAG3169_zpsbmjrdpqj.jpg

I was very pleased with how well the pair ran, being nice and close but still negotiating the curves with ease. I suspect they'll manage a 10" radius, as they only just failed on my 9" radius settrack oval!

Next into the workshops will be my Anglicised Liliput 0-6-2t which was my fist narrow gauge loco and has been a solid servant since I acquired it. The paintwork is starting to look a bit shabby now, and I feel I could do better so the main focus will be that.

The rear cartazzi truck will also see some attention as the extra pickups I added to it tend to add resistance to the wheels preventing them turning efficiently. So once through the works, No.14 should emerge looking smarter and hopefully running a bit smoother

IMAG3188_1_zpsndx8ytoc.jpg

IMAG3187_1_zpsysid7z3c.jpg

IMAG3188_1_zpsndx8ytoc.jpg

Cheers

J

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As some of you may have read over in the Hornby Q6 thread, I have been tweaking mine and the current progress is on display here.

I wanted to backdated mine to a pre-war LNER loco, and as the Dia.50A boiler as fitted to the Hornby model is more suited to a handful of locos from 1938, and it was fitted to more of the class as time passed. The original boiler was visually different (which in model form is the only real concern of course!) The main identifying difference being the dome which was more hemispheric and mounted further foward than the later one.

Fortunately the Hornby dome was simply a plug in item, and as such was popped out and the resulting hole filled. A new dome was sourced from North Eastern Kits, as part of one of the spare parts sets for the B15 kit (which shared the same boiler as the Q6) this also yielded the safety valves with their cover which are appropriate for my chosen loco, No 2228.

IMAG3253_1_zpsqwskohg7.jpg

IMAG3257_1_zpsh2rpgdjb.jpg

Other detail changes include adding the absent windjabber to the chimney from a small piece of plastic strip, swapping the smokebox door dart for the NER wheel, spare from my DJH D20 (which I really should get back to!) And the cab has received some alteration to remove the pipework not present on the original locos, but fitted to 63395 post preservation. Some plasticard was also used to create the characteristic fish fryer surround for the fire door.

IMAG3258_1_zpsmoin2obk.jpg

IMAG3255_1_zpsqgnxk85c.jpg

IMAG3256_1_zpspwb6hlxt.jpg

Using brass rod, I've also fabricated the piston tail rods, which at present are just being held by friction in to ends of the cylinders. I'm not sure they are quite long enough so may be replaced before final fitting.

IMAG3254_1_zps1v4i0o94.jpg

Next step is to give the body a repaint, and then the cab interior, followed by transfers and it should be nigh on good to go! Oh, and the lubricator drive needs to be removed from the right hand side, but hopefully that'll be simple enough!

IMAG3259_1_zps1watr6ir.jpg

The parts breakdown of the loco has been very well thought out by Hornby and has made modifying it a lot easier than it maybe would have been in the past when one-piece body mouldings were commonplace.

Cheers

J

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave.

I hope you're all sitting down, because I've finished something! The Q6 is now ready for service!

IMAG3276_1_zpshn5ys36i.jpg

After fitting the various castings, the boiler/cab section and tender were given a coat of halfords Matt black. Once this was dry, the smokebox and cab roof were masked off and the rest was given a couple of coats of Tamiya X-1 gloss black to give the transfers a nice shiny surface to be applied to.

The cab interior was painted Humbrol 41 gloss cream from the windows up and a small piece of scribed plasticard added to the floor to represent the wood. Tamiya XF-68 NATO Brown was painted onto the seats and window frames, with X-31 Titanium Gold on the frames of the front windows.

IMAG3278_1_zps1mmqhinv.jpg

IMAG3277_1_zpscm1fndlt.jpg

Numbers and letters are from the HMRS pressfix sheet 4a, but I left off the class designation on the front buffer beam as I couldn't work out which one was which on the sheet!

IMAG3279_1_zpsgnmcrrvd.jpg

After the decals had had chance to fully set over night, the whole thing got a coat of Humbrol satin varnish to tone down the gloss and seal the transfers in.

IMAG3281_1_zpsy71b2evr.jpg

The other issue was the lubricator drive on the right hand side, this was removed from the crank, and despite trying as hard as I could to remove it from the chassis, it just didn't want to shift, so it was cut off as close to the chassis as possible. Once the running plate is back in place it's invisible, and a bit of black paint fully disguised it. Speaking (or typing!) about the chassis, I also painted the outside tyres of all the wheels with Humbrol 33 Matt black which I think makes a world of difference.

IMAG3274_1_zps91trfqrx.jpg

IMAG3280_1_zpsegcg5w5m.jpg

So, shock and awe, I've started a project and its finished!

Thoughts and comments are always welcome!

Cheers

J

• Like 3

Thanks Paul, obviously there will be some toning down with weathering in due course, but that will be done when I've decided how close to a works visit it is!

As for the cab, that's easily rectified, all the bits will come out as there's only enough adhesive to just hold them in, not like when I dismantled it! The pictures I was using as reference were of 63395, admittedly in BR condition where the practises favoured by the Crimson Lake brigade may have crept in, and of 901 which is in LNER livery at Darlington and has a cream interior. Have you any idea what shade of red would be in a c.1930s cab?

Cheers

J

• 6 months later...

After an enjoyable day at the York show on Monday, I returned home full of inspiration and with a few new projects in my bag! For wagons, a signal and a few bits and bobs for other things I've had on the back burner.

The first item from my selection of purchases to enter the works is a 51L whitemetal kit of an NE/LNER Dia. B15 12t dropside wagon.

So far I've got the bearings into the axleboxes, the W irons fitted to the solebars and the main body together. The W irons were a bit troublesome as there is no location point for them, but after a bit of tacking, measuring, moving, re-tacking and measuring I eventually got them right, I think!

I've tried my scrap set of wheels in the frames and it seems to sit level and square at present, so that's all good!

Next up is to fit the rest of the whitemetal bits and then cut/fit the floor and it should be ready for a wash and a coat of primer!

IMAG3679_zpsq1la1ig5.jpg

Cheers

J

Edited by JaymzHatstand
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 12T dropside wagon is now in undercoat after finally having the couplings fitted (spratt & winkle) and is now ready for painting. I'm yet to decide if it is going to have any sort of load, but that can wait until later.

IMAG37482_zpskqtcobcw.jpg

IMAG37472_zpsdy45rrxs.jpg

I popped to the NRM the other day to make use of their library for research into the varied wagons I've got waiting to be built/finished so that should prove helpful!

One of the things I liked into was the LNER toad E, as recently released by Parkside Dundas in 4mm. I've decided that I'm going to do one as a Darlington build, and one as a Doncaster one, so they won't be identical. The first one that I've started is the Doncaster version found in Tatlow, with wooden ribs on the ends, sanding gear and spoked wheels.

The Parkside kit has rather a lot of flash in places which is most unusual for one of their newer kits, but not the end of the world. A dry run PDF the basic body assembly did referral that the mitred joints weren't particularly good, so these needed adjusting with files to achieve a good joint. Once I'd made the traditional 'L' shape from an end and side, the floor went in followed by the other end. finally the other side went on and the whole lot allowed to set, a bit of Squadron filler sorted the small gaps at the joints.

The end ribs were made from plasticard and the buffers have been replaced with Lanarkshire ones. this far, the main handrails have been fitted and the welded joints on the real thing soldered, using low melt shook I could do them in situ without affecting the plastic.

IMAG37492_zps8ed92zxb.jpg

IMAG37502_zpslb0yucek.jpg

IMAG37442_zpsmxm7khlw.jpg

The eagle eyed may notice a Kirk non corridor brake 3rd in the background, that has just had its bogies built so now I can get on with the underframe without it having to rest on it and risk damaging it. I do like adding MJT bits to Kirk carriages as it adds a nice amount of low down weight.

Once I've got a bit more done I'll make a carriage related update, but for now I'll leave you with a photo of it (bear in mind it's just resting on the bogies, they aren't yet fastened on!)

IMAG37512_zpskln8mumn.jpg

Cheers

J

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The brake van is progressing, having had all the handrails added and then undercoated in Hanford red oxide. The body has now has a coat of Railmatch LNER freight brown and now just needs the lower areas painting black, but that can wait for now.

The solebars have been fitted and the kit wheels are in place to check for squareness and smooth running (all good thus far!). I say kit wheels because the actual vehicle should have spoked wheels and some replacements are on order.

IMAG37982_zpswth5ubby.jpg

IMAG37992_zpsmcavlwm7.jpg

I've also added the rain strips and air vents to the roof (though they aren't mentioned in the instructions). I noticed on the underside of the roof that there are two small indentations which seem to be ideally placed for the vents and served for drilling the holes for MJT torpedo vents.

IMAG38002_zpsgsyuf02f.jpg

For now, things will have to wait until I have the right wheels, I don't want to be adding and removing them continually! So I'll have to tinker with something else for a bit!

Cheers

J

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A nice afternoon of building on the patio has led to the structural completeness of the brake van, with the kit steps built and fitted. Though they do feel a little flimsy so no doubt will need replacing in the future. I've also made my own gusset plates from 10 thou plasticard as the kit ones looked a little on the industrial side of things!

IMAG3855_zpsfnecrnjh.jpg

IMAG3854_zpsgm5efqkh.jpg

IMAG3851_zpsjv7w4nr1.jpg

I've acquired the correct wheels (from Wizard Models) and to make the purchase a little more worthwhile p&p wise, I also bought a 51L NER P5 11ton coal wagon, so that will soon enter the erecting shop!

Just the black areas on the brake van to paint now, and the interior; which I suspect would be a shade of off-white/cream in LNER days.

My B15 wagon is ready for lettering, but I think I'll wait until the brake van is at a similar stage and do them both together.

IMAG38482_zpshvaiowge.jpg

IMAG38472_zpsvyvrbere.jpg

IMAG3853_zpszvzxegz4.jpg

Cheers

J

• Like 4