Jaymz' Modelling Adventures: Currently a Connoisseur Models LNER G5 in 7mm scale

I mentioned in my last post that a 51L LNER Dia P5 11ton hopper had joined my stash, well after a bit of cleaning up of the castings (and it was only a bit) I've had a prod at it with my soldering iron and the main body is together.

I deviated from the instructions however, electing to fit the central spar to one side, add the other side and then the ends. I didn't fancy trying to fit the centre section after the main body was together (though I think it would've been fine.

IMAG3859_zpslcimu6r3.jpg

IMAG3860_zps45zm5dfz.jpg

Next up is drilling the holes for handrails and fitting them and the break gear. I'm leaving the plastic interior until all the hot bits are done, for obvious reasons!

I also need to source a couple of photos of the real vehicles, but living close to the NRM and their extensive library, that shouldn't be too much of a chore!

Cheers

J

• Like 5

So, pending a trip to the NRM for hopper photo research I've turned my attention back to the Kirk non corridor brake third seen earlier in the thread.

I've done a bit of work on the interior, making partitions and seats out of plasticard. I could've used the strip seating that came with the kit, but I really don't like cutting them as despite using a mitre block, I never seem to be able to cut them straight! As the interior isn't massively visible, the basic shape of the seats should suffice.

IMAG3861_zpsurirzdvb.jpg

IMAG3862_zpsuibf25nn.jpg

Next up is a lick of paint, and maybe a representation of the mirrors/pictures above the seats. It also serves as a bit of a dry run, as I've got a D&S NER clerestory third that will need seats creating for it fairly soon!

Cheers

J

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of modeling has taken place in the least week, with all manner of things (which other than work have been enjoyable) getting in the way, and an upcoming holiday too North Wales also set to interrupt modeling, but will probably inspire!

Anyway, in the brief moments I've had, I've managed to make the bogie step boards out of various bits of evergreen plastic strip. On the last Kirk bogies I built, I made these out of brass and they weren't easy to fit accurately. Plastic allowed a bit more time to fit them, and they should be a bit more durable as plastic bonds to plastic pretty well!

IMAG38902_zps58kpaava.jpg

IMAG38912_zpsrfduqnqp.jpg

IMAG38892_zpsbfjgvftz.jpg

The interior has also had a lick of paint, it's not overly neat, but it's also not to visible through the windows, and I imagine even less so once it's glazed. I will tidy it up though, if only for my own piece of mind!

IMAG38922_zpsuxv8lxty.jpg

I took the opportunity while I had my photo plank outside to take some in progress photos of the D&S clerestory third mentioned in my previous post. The buffers aren't fitted yet, just resting in the apertures to check the height. I had to pack the bogies with a single washer so the wheels didn't rub on the underframe/floor. It's certainly a well detailed kit and a pleasure to build!

IMAG38932_zpsxfdwlvaf.jpg

IMAG38942_zps7xz4as5h.jpg

IMAG38962_zpso6adsm07.jpg

IMAG38972_zps2np9rare.jpg

IMAG38952_zpsa4jgytbk.jpg

I've also drilled out the holes for the various bits on the NE hopper, but that wasn't really worth photographing! Once the adornments are fitted, I shall though!

Cheers

J

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Here we are again, with some progress worth reporting! I've been doing odd bits on various projects that I've got on the go, but nothing overly exciting, however, as promised above...

The NE hopper has had its brake gear fitted, as well as the interior fabricated and assembled. The templates in the instructions left a bit to desired in the length of the end pieces, being too long, but that was easy to sort!

post-7895-0-08647000-1508395555_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-74930000-1508395572_thumb.jpg

The next major bit of progress is in my D&S NE horsebox which is now essentially ready for final cleaning and painting. The roof is just resting in place in the photos but it's shape is pretty much sorted, but I will leave it off for now. I've been trying to work out the livery of these vehicles under pre-war LNER ownership, I presume stock brown on the sides and black underframe, but would the ends be black or brown? Photos aren't that easy to work this out from with shadows and weathering both contributing to the challenge, although the couple in Historic Carriage Drawings Vol.III do seem to suggest all over brown bodies. Any help on this will be gratefully received!

post-7895-0-92728100-1508395637_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-47771600-1508395664_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-54518600-1508395674_thumb.jpg

I also notice that I've become a victim of PhotoBucketry, so I'll have to work back through my blog and re-post the missing images (once I find the originals!)

Cheers

J

Edited to add a missing photo!

Edited by JaymzHatstand
  • Like 8

A quick update, and the horsebox has had a coat of red primer followed by the first coats of black on the underframe and brown on the body. Obviously, I couldn't resist putting the two halves together to see how they look, and so far, it's rather pleasing!

post-7895-0-57828000-1508676981_thumb.jpg

Paint wise, the primer and black are Halfords aerosols and the brown is Dark Earth from the Vallejo Air range blown through my airbrush. The second coat will be Flat Earth, which is the more correct colour and should give a nice deep shaded appearance (nothing to do with me using the wrong paint at all!)

I still need to sort out fitting the roof, and I think that will involve some internal bracing so it holds its shape.

The eagle eyed may have noticed the NE clerestory in the background which is also gradually creeping towards completion!

Cheers

J

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Not much has occurred on my bench for a while, the festive season has taken its toll on modelling time, I have managed however to put together a 51L kit for a Hull & Barnsley D15 10T ventilated covered goods wagon. It went together pretty quickly but I wasn't overly happy with the plastic floor being glued inside the body. Rather than just relying on superglue to hold the floor and running gear, I made a bracket from some scrap brass and soldered it inside the body, ensuring the main points of support were above the wheelsets.

post-7895-0-15304000-1514565163_thumb.jpg

The roof is my first attempt at tissue paper over plasticard, so I'll see how it looks once painted before fitting it properly. For now, it's just resting in place.

post-7895-0-50394600-1514565202_thumb.jpg

My horsebox has also been repainted in the right shade of brown, and looks a lot better for it. I did have a go at making paint masks for their lettering, but they weren't very successful so it looks like I'll be using decals instead.

post-7895-0-70287300-1514565220_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-35564700-1514565236_thumb.jpg

The NE hopper has also been coloured in, and is also awaiting decals.

post-7895-0-00699700-1514565252_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-49491000-1514565266_thumb.jpg

That's it for now, I hope Santa Claus was kind to you all, and all the best for the new year!

Cheers

J

• Like 7

Nice horse box

Take it was 4mm. Looks like something I may attempt to scratch build in the future

Santa's sack was devoid of anything model wise except for some clear plastic boxes which may be useful for glazing

However.....pants and socks by the dozen........

Thanks, yes it is 4mm, it's a D&S kit that I acquired a year or so ago.

I've got a few more items stashed away but I'm making myself get some things finished and somewhere proper to run them before starting anything else!

Santas offerings for me were a couple if useful books, and a few tins (which need emptying) which will come in handy!

Cheers

J

• 3 months later...

As predicted when I started this thread, it's been a while since I updated it, but that doesn't mean I've not been doing anything! I want to try and keep to regular updates, so I'll do what I can and we'll see how that goes, even if it's just one photo a week, or a bit of blurb! Seeing ratings of my posts, and receiving feedback is always encouraging that I'm not just talking to the air, so thanks to all who have done so thus far!

So, where am I at? Time for some photo updates of aforementioned projects (which should help undo some of the PhotoBucket missing images above!)

First up is the D&S NER B15 dropside wagon, which is now lettered and ready to enter service.

post-7895-0-68503600-1522860446_thumb.jpg

Likewise (pending a little bit of tidying of paint spotted by the cruel camera) is a Parkside Fruit van

post-7895-0-92866500-1522859530_thumb.jpg

The Parkside Toad is in its base livery, the roof is still to be fitted as I need to paint the interior (nothing OTT, just so there's a hint of colour through the windows)

post-7895-0-41437900-1522860272_thumb.jpg

I've rolled a new brass roof for the H&B vent van (and of course managed to loose two of the roof vents, but picked up some new ones at the York show over Easter weekend, so they'll be fitted soon (probably!) The plastic roof method described in the instructions went very banana shaped very quickly, hence the replacement!

post-7895-0-71507700-1522859974_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-32263500-1522860165_thumb.jpg

I've still not done the interior of the D&S clerestory, as I still need to fashion some more partitions (for some reason there are some missing from the etches) but the chassis is getting closer to being ready for all the whitemetal castings which will add a fair bit of nice weight!

post-7895-0-17907200-1522860482_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-92626300-1522860725_thumb.jpg

And now we move into the world of 009 with some light weathering and a real coal loading of a Bachmann WD bogie wagon (that's real Ffestiniog coal in there too!)

post-7895-0-78817400-1522861081_thumb.jpg

Finally, a couple of Worsley Works scratch aid etches are ready for a start to be made on their interiors, FfR 'bowsider' Brown Marshall bogie carriage of 1876 (not yet decided on the livery or number it'll carry)

post-7895-0-34521200-1522861296_thumb.jpg

And a memento of a couple of very comfortable trips aboard the WHR's Pullman carriage, Bodysgallen. This is a monster of vehicle when compared to any of my other 009 stock!

post-7895-0-17324500-1522861765_thumb.jpg

Right, hopefully that's me up to date, I'll try to keep this regular, as it also encourages me to actually crack on too!

Cheers

J

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

This week I've been having a go at hand lettering the pair of pre-grouping wagons seen in my previous updates (also the H&B wagon has had its roof vents fitted and a base coat of white sprayed)

There's some work to be done with them yet, but from normal viewing distances, they don't look too bad. I've only done one side thus far so hopefully, when I get around to them, I'll be able to replicate what I've done already.

H&B vent van and NE 11 Ton P5 hopper (both 51L whitemetal kits)

post-7895-0-53355700-1523711241_thumb.jpg

I've also acquired a Mousa Models GNR Five plank wagon and I must say, I'm impressed with the quality of it. It comes as a printed resin body with detail parts (buffer shanks, brake gear and working three link couplings) turned steel buffer heads with springs, and brass underframe.

I've fitted the buffer shanks which are rather fragile (I found to my cost!) The underframe is folded up and it already looks the part. I've not got any bearings in stock to assemble the suspension units, so they'll have to wait until the postman has been!

post-7895-0-10972800-1523711257_thumb.jpg

That's my notable progress for this week, there's a few other bits and bobs bubbling away, and they'll surface once there's something worht showing!

Cheers

J

• Like 4

My order of bearings, wheels and maybe another wagon kit from Wizard arrived pretty quickly, as is unusual experience when purchasing from there, and as a result I've got the Mousa 5 plank up on its wheels. This is the first time I've worked with Bill Bedford springing and found it very easy to work with, a bit of weight under the wagon floor should have it sitting nicely and not bouncing about!

post-7895-0-03021000-1524333495_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-32514400-1524333516_thumb.jpg

As mentioned above, I acquired another wagon, again from the 51L range, and again an NER design. This time a Dia C10 12ton 6 plank open which will end up in LNER grey like the GNR coal wagon seen previously.

post-7895-0-76846300-1524333534_thumb.jpg

Moving onto my narrow gauge exploits, and the first item to move on a touch is the Ffestiniog 'bowsider' which has now had its end railings fitted and now essentially just needs the handrails and handles fitting for the exterior to be complete.

post-7895-0-34664200-1524333553_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-14454200-1524333567_thumb.jpg

I've also made a start on a mineral train for my Scrayingham layout, so far consisting of two Dundas Models Snailbeach hoppers and a modified Colin Ashby open. These will be finished in NER livery (unsurprisingly) and possibly have removable loads fabricated.

post-7895-0-77077300-1524333581_thumb.jpg

I've also, very kindly been sent some home printed transfers by Wordsell forever, for H&BR wagons. If you have a look on his workbench, you'll see what he's been up to with them. I'll be trying them in due course and will report back when I do!

Cheers

J

• Like 5

This morning, after a partial repaint and several coats of Johnson's Klear floor polish, I gave the transfers from Wordsell Forever a try, and I have to say, they are excellent. They didn't require much soaking and went onto the high-gloss surface very well. It looks like I'll have to build a couple more H&B wagons!

post-7895-0-47835700-1524901143_thumb.jpg

The 009 wagons from the previous post have Now been fitted with couplings, painted and lettered. There's a bit of tidying to be done on them, but they are essentially ready for service.

post-7895-0-11812600-1524901166_thumb.jpg

Another thing I've been working on for quite some time is an NER inspired narrow gauge birdcage brakevan. It's built on a Peco N-gauge 10ft wagon chassis with a plasticard body, covered with Evergreen strip and Slater's embossed sheeting. Other details have been added with brass wire and strip.

post-7895-0-26686800-1524901198_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-85053300-1524901244_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-68589100-1524901277_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-98010900-1524901314_thumb.jpg

Once again, thanks to Paul (Wordsell) for the transfers. Hopefully over the next week I'll get some paint on the brakevan and fashion a roof for it.

Cheers

J

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

This morning, after a partial repaint and several coats of Johnson's Klear floor polish, I gave the transfers from Wordsell Forever a try, and I have to say, they are excellent. They didn't require much soaking and went onto the high-gloss surface very well. It looks like I'll have to build a couple more H&B wagons!

IMAG4778~2.jpg

The 009 wagons from the previous post have Now been fitted with couplings, painted and lettered. There's a bit of tidying to be done on them, but they are essentially ready for service.

IMAG4779~2.jpg

Another thing I've been working on for quite some time is an NER inspired narrow gauge birdcage brakevan. It's built on a Peco N-gauge 10ft wagon chassis with a plasticard body, covered with Evergreen strip and Slater's embossed sheeting. Other details have been added with brass wire and strip.

IMAG4781~2.jpg

IMAG4780~2.jpg

IMAG4785~2.jpg

IMAG4784~2.jpg

Once again, thanks to Paul (Wordsell) for the transfers. Hopefully over the next week I'll get some paint on the brakevan and fashion a roof for it.

Cheers

J

Glad the transfers worked ok, I was a bit worried how someone else would get on with them! Seems worrying wasn't necessary. If anyone else wants some please pm me, they're £5 a set posted (uk). I've also got various NER ones ready too.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, they were very user friendly, cutting close to the letters/numbers with a fresh blade and applying them onto a high gloss surface as recommended was absolutely trouble free!

So, I know I've gone semi quiet again, but I've not been neglecting my modelling, I've just not really been doing anything of any great note. Couplings have been fitted to a few of the recently built wagons and some of the wagons seen above have had base coats of paint applied. I've not taken any photos as its not really that interesting until they get a bit further on.

I have been a bit distracted by an Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury, which is a very nice kit and is slowly coming together (but as its not railway related, it's not appearing,unless requested of course!)

Shortly I'll be receiving an RT Models 009 De Winton 0-4-0vb, the email informing me of its dispatch arrived an hour or so ago! I'm very much looking forward to getting on with that, and I will cover it here.

So yes, I may have been quiet, but certainly not dormant!

Until the next update

Cheers

J

• Like 1

Glad the transfers worked ok, I was a bit worried how someone else would get on with them! Seems worrying wasn't necessary. If anyone else wants some please pm me, they're £5 a set posted (uk). I've also got various NER ones ready too.

For some reason my text didn't show probably something I did wrong. I wanted to ask if the n.e.r. transfers were the early shaded type as I have a couple of wagons to finish. Nobody seems to do the shaded versions

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

So, time for a quick update and a couple of questions...

I've not had a great deal of time recently, but I have begun to get the transfers onto some more wagons;

post-7895-0-34375000-1528868086_thumb.jpg

The ex NER van is done, with a carrier bag sacrificed to represent the canvas roof hatch cover.

post-7895-0-39218900-1528868138_thumb.jpg

The ex-GNR 5 plank has its main transfers on, but I didn't have time for the numbers. The body looks a bit rough in the photo, but to the naked eye, it's fine, and will probably be loaded anyway.

post-7895-0-54740900-1528868347_thumb.jpg

The brake van likewise just has the main lettering thus far, but already is looking much better!

post-7895-0-78402800-1528868104_thumb.jpg

So that's my real progress, but prompted by a friend of mine, I've dug out some of the Parkside GWR wagons I built a few years ago for finishing off, and herein lie the questions!

I've built them with the Dean brakes (I think) and vac cylinders and pipes, can anyone tell me if this is right for them around the early to mid 30s? I'm pretty sure I will have used prototype photos when I did it, but can't seem to find them now!

post-7895-0-57978900-1528868068_thumb.jpg

Also, can anyone please suggest some running numbers for them? I'm sure the instructions would have such details, but they seem to be hiding, and I know not where! With my main area of interest being the LNER, I know where to look for the relevant information, and have plenty of sources to hand, with the GW being foreign to me, any assistance is welcome!

Thanks in advance for any advice which may be offered!

Cheers

J

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Not much has happened with my 4mm standard gauge modelling of late, I had my 009 layout, Scrayingham at the Redcar show a couple of weeks ago, so all modelling time was dedicated to tidying and tweaking things for that.

It was an enjoyable show, despite having to fight with a problematic polarity switch!

My dad has been building a Connoisseur Models LNER G5 for a while, and, due to other time constraints, has come under much ridicule from his clubmates for his lack of progress on it. He has asked me to finish it for him, so that'll be taking the centre stage on here for a while.

First up are a few photos of the current state of play before I crack on. Other than attacking one side of the chassis and body with a burnishing stick, I've not done anything yet.

The main superstructure is done, as is the chassis, with just a few detail bits to fit, and a couple of the nice big whitemetal castings. The dome is just resting in place in one photo, and will sit much better with a bit of fettling.

post-7895-0-32440400-1535209336_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-76010200-1535209353_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-57876800-1535209401_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-15340000-1535209420_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-40012900-1535209487_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-63721500-1535209502_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-46350100-1535209572_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-45728400-1535209587_thumb.jpg

I'm very much looking forward to getting on with this as it looks like a lovely kit and he's done a good job on it this far. Being a Whitby lad, he wants it finishing as a local loco, and provided a photo of the one he wanted at West Cliff station. However, after perusing my Yeadon, it turns out that was a Scarborough loco ( :no ) so I've done a bit more digging and it will end up as 1739 which spent it's whole LNER life at Whitby shed.

My plan of attack is to get the chassis all done and painted first, which really isn't far away then move onto the body.

I'll post updates as and when there's anything significant to show, if anyone else has built one of these and has any tips or hints, please feel free to share them!

Cheers

J

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

The chassis for the G5 has now been painted and is now awaiting the removal of the masking and re-fitting of the motor and wheels.

post-7895-0-67427700-1536830270_thumb.jpg

The wheels are still awaiting the fitting of their balance weights. I'm not sure what the best method for doing that is, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful!

Cheers

J

• Like 2

The chassis for the G5 has now been painted and is now awaiting the removal of the masking and re-fitting of the motor and wheels.

attachicon.gifIMAG5147~2.jpg

The wheels are still awaiting the fitting of their balance weights. I'm not sure what the best method for doing that is, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful!

Cheers

J

I tack them in place with superglue and then fill in from behind with epoxy.

The real fun comes with ballasting the little beast for maximum traction.

I tack them in place with superglue and then fill in from behind with epoxy.

The real fun comes with ballasting the little beast for maximum traction.

Thanks for that, that's pretty much what I'd thought of doing! As for nose weight, I've noticed it being quite tail heavy, but fortunately there's plenty of space in the boiler! A copper pipe filled with molten lead us recommend in the instructions, but I think it might be folded sheet lead instead, it sounds a bit safer!

Cheers

J

Thanks for that, that's pretty much what I'd thought of doing! As for nose weight, I've noticed it being quite tail heavy, but fortunately there's plenty of space in the boiler! A copper pipe filled with molten lead us recommend in the instructions, but I think it might be folded sheet lead instead, it sounds a bit safer!

Cheers

J

I built one many years ago from a plastic bag full of bits I found at a Wakefield or Leeds show. My 30 quid bought a set of stamped brass body parts, a few castings and a set of Walsall wheels. Having successfully applied the American system to a J25, I did the same with the G5. The front wheels and motor sat in a simple brass frame whilst the rear frames were made from paxolin and plastikard. The lead was cast in the same pan I had used as a teenager to make fishing weights whilst mother was out at the Mothers Union. Once balanced it performed well.

attachicon.gifIMAG5147~2.jpg

Cheers

J

Looking good so far.  Thanks

• 4 months later...

So, it's been a while. 

I haven't been static in my activities, but they have been interrupted by the various festive goings on of the last few months, and the work related lack of energy that goes along with them! Hopefully I've now managed to get my elbow in gear with the G5 again!

Today I've been looking at the various small details and pipe runs that adorn the body, which are considerably more in number than when working in 4mm scale! 

The Westinghouse pump and it's main pipes have been fitted, along with the two tank front lubricated, made from various gauges of wire and the relevant castings from the kit. 

IMAG5614.jpg.0d76b5b7a68e965849e6ce96dd913ed4.jpg

IMAG5618.jpg.1fd7069993d7dfc72e7d109a697f1fef.jpg

I've also corrected the fire iron retainer from the top of the left hand tank, which was at 90 degrees the wrong way (the shadow of where it once was is visible behind it) 

IMAG5617.jpg.524e6c5f3a9876e34448df50ba009da9.jpg

I've also been experimenting with weight for the front end, and have made a start on a closed pipe to fill with liquid lead (the micro-shot variety, not the molten sort) which after an test run, seems to stop it kangarooing down the track! 

Hopefully I'll find a bit more time of the coming weekends to carry on! 

Cheers

J

Edited by JaymzHatstand
Edited to alter formatting (still getting used to the new mobile forum layout!)
  • Like 2