computer chad bricks

I have been trying to find a source of individual 4mm bricks. I know someone used to sell them but I cant remember his name! I think he was in a railway mag after he used individual yellow bricks on a 4mm building of Bath Green Park. I had some in a small pkt years ago but after two house moves they have gone awol can anyone help? I think the gentleman did,does demonstrate at shows thanks in advance Steve

I have a half finished building here, having run out several years ago, and not being able to find any since.

Let's remember punch cards must be at least 20 years out of date, if not a lot more.

Last time I saw a machine in use was in the RM Barracks in Plymouth, where I got my supply, and that was 32 years ago!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies. I hoped someone would have a name oh well back to the drawing board. Think I will try to cut my own.

Apologies if you already know this but if you do cut your own don't cut all the way through at the ends until you've finished the majority of the cutting.  Then just nick the final end cuts.  It prevents the strips curling up.

Hi Jeff I don't think it was Allen Downs perhaps chads ain't everyone's cup of tea

I think you've misunderstood me. When I said that computer chads were a thing of the past, I meant just that: you'll probably struggle to get any now? Unless you know a secret store?

• RMweb Gold

Assuming they are a standard size, what does a chad scale to for 4mm?.

I would have thought that someone with a laser cutter, or perhaps silhouette cutter, could churn them out in quantity, either to a chad size, or something more accurate (and more fiddly).

Dave

Hi Steve,

I seem to remember watching Bob Dawson demonstrating his building techniques at York show a number of years ago and he was making his own "computer" chads for brickwork using an [very] old bus ticket punch, post war /pre 1960. I am sure they would turn up at car boot sales etc.

PS I am very old and can remember the bus conductors using them

Alan in the sunny Outer Hebrides  

• 3 months later...

Sorry I've only just noticed this thread....Bob Dawson does sell the packs of individual bricks he uses...he can be found this weekend at scarborough & district model railway exhibition at pickering north Yorkshire....I've bought several bags of him and to me now its addictive lol...and you can't beat the end result for effectiveness.

I'm afraid he doesn't use the Internet and email from what he said last time I spoke with him but here's a telephone number he can be contacted on...York 797156...you'll need to find the area code for York. ..hope this is of some use to you.

Regards rich.b

Archived