Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

railways in fiction and fantasy

• 1 month later...

I suppose it counts as "in fiction", but a model railway layout was central to the plot (no spoilers) to the first episode of "The Cleaner" on BBC1, it's still on iPlayer.

https://youtu.be/4_xaJ7eKBLE

It's not a spoiler as it's from the start, but it is rather gory and sweary, but I thought it was quite funny and a warning to us all.

jh

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

Tintin has the occasional railway encounter - in "The Black Island" he jumps onto the roof of a BR Mk 1 hauled by what looks like a Bulleid Southern Region diesel.tintin-black-island-page-b.jpg.a2edef71b6370a1086238db4990ff6de.jpg

My wife has that one in French- apart from the odd choice of locomotives in the train chase, there's other nicer details like instead of a music note for the airhorn, it's captioned "Toot" :)

When I used to read such a thing, the 'comic' 2000 AD used to have a strip called 'Nemesis the Warlock'. I always enjoyed the Edwardian 'steampunk' look, and before I'd even heard of steampunk, it was probably my first experience of the genre.

Some of the transport depicted was rather good, I thought. Take a look at this link - the steam iron man/robot pulling the tram, and the 'Equatorial Express' are about halfway down the page:

https://tygertale.com/2015/08/01/the-gothic-empire-bryan-talbots-nemesis-the-warlock/

Edited by billy_anorak59
Smelling
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, billy_anorak59 said:

When I used to read such a thing, the 'comic' 2000 AD used to have a strip called 'Nemesis the Warlock'. I always enjoyed the Edwardian 'steampunk' look, and before I'd even heard of steampunk, it was probably my first experience of the genre.

Some of the transport depicted was rather good, I thought. Take a look at this link - the steam iron man/robot pulling the tram, and the 'Equatorial Express' are about halfway down the page:

https://tygertale.com/2015/08/01/the-gothic-empire-bryan-talbots-nemesis-the-warlock/

I'll have to have a look when I get home, but I've a feeling that the pic of the iron chap pulling the tramcar is based on something called the "Steam-man of the plains", I'm sure there's a pic of it in the book "Boilerplate: Histories Mechanical Marvel"

Love the Crystal Palace monorail in that link too!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone read "Pandora's Star" and "Judas Unchained" by Peter F Hamilton? With the ability to anchor stable interstellar wormholes on the surface of planets many light years apart, the main method of interstellar transport is trains...

Until some rather hostile aliens crash the party and other means are needed.

Superbly crafted space opera with some unique ideas. Totally recommended.