Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

North Camp to Ripple Lane oil empties routing

The Pilotman

• RMweb Gold

I recently came across a video on YouTube of one of the last workings of the Ripple Lane to North Camp oil tanks. The clip shows the train of empties departing in the direction of Guildford. Does anyone know what routing it took to get back to Essex? Did it run round at Guildford or carry on over the North Downs line to Redhill and go north towards London from there?

Thanks.

The 1983-84 and 1984-85 freight timetables (Section WK) show the 7E47 WO Q path from North Camp to Ripple Lane running round in Guildford Yard thence returning to the ER via Woking, Feltham Jn and Kew East Jn. The loaded service, 6O32 WO Q Ripple Lane East Yd to North Camp, followed the same route in reverse, arriving at 0900. There was also another Q (as required) service from/to Llandarcy which was scheduled via Wokingham and Reading in both direcions.

Edited by SED Freightman

According to the September 1992 to May 1993 WTT North Camp was served from Thames Haven with the route being Kew East, Staines and a run round at Guildford.  The afternoon empties to Thames Haven retraced the inward route.  It ran Monday only and Wednesday or Friday on an as required basis.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, gents. I don't remember ever seeing a Llandarcy to North Camp freight going through Reading but that's not to say it never did. As for the Ripple Lane/Thames Haven empties, it would have saved a fair bit of shunting if the train had gone straight out of the North Camp sidings to Reading to run round, then via Acton but I suppose there's a good reason why didn't.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, gents. I don't remember ever seeing a Llandarcy to North Camp freight going through Reading but that's not to say it never did. As for the Ripple Lane/Thames Haven empties, it would have saved a fair bit of shunting if the train had gone straight out of the North Camp sidings to Reading to run round, then via Acton but I suppose there's a good reason why didn't.

It's about available pathways, I suspect, which is why the Ripple Lane trip would also not be welcome via Redhill, even in those days, due to congestion in the Croydon area.