Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

The only slightly negative thing I can say is that they have followed Hornby, with their Peckett, in producing all specific liveries. That's not a bad thing in itself but they should also produce some non-specific ones in either plain or lined liveries with no names or company identification.

At last, amidst all the froth, a man after my own heart.

Surely there must be a groundswell of modellers who would appreciate a plain green or black loco sans name or number to do with as they see fit ?

Brian R

At last, amidst all the froth, a man after my own heart.

Surely there must be a groundswell of modellers who would appreciate a plain green or black loco sans name or number to do with as they see fit ?

Brian R

Absolutely. The Barclay off-the-shelf livery was light blue

• RMweb Gold

What is the history with the GWR version? If I recall correctly, I only know of one being owned by the Swansea Harbour Trust and was numbered 1140?

According to various sources, 701 was renumbered to 1140 by BR in June 1948 and the loco was scrapped in 1958.

Presumably 705 is a fictitious preservation era number? [EDIT: the entry on the ESR website states as much].

Given that 701 most likely received BR paint and markings at the same time it was renumbered, the BR one would be better numbered as 1140.

Always assuming that the model has the right combination of features.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

I presume "Little Barford" worked at that location.  Plse does anyone know what livery she carried then?

The image below shows the livery that loco arrived to Acton Lane in.

attachicon.gif©John Turner - Little Barford.jpg

It is presumed that it had the same livery whilst based at Little Barford as well but we have been unable to confirm it so far.

Cheers,

Dave

That's how I remember it looking when I used to watch it pushing wagons through the tippler at Little Barford power station.  If anyone had asked me, I'd've said it was a very grubby green colour, but it's a long time ago now!

Good timing, I was thinking of adding coal mine exchange sidings to my next layout - mmmmm.

The interest is growing, along with my fondness of modelling the SSR, I now find that some AB shunters were used at Brereton ( a place with family connections) collieries, especially number 3 (1365/1914) which was there until 1961 which brings it into my time frame - I just need to find a picture of it, or just 'wing it'. I feel an order to Hattons coming on. :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

I presume "Little Barford" worked at that location.  Plse does anyone know what livery she carried then?

I only recall it at CEGB  Acton Lane Power Station, North London.

That's how I remember it looking when I used to watch it pushing wagons through the tippler at Little Barford power station.  If anyone had asked me, I'd've said it was a very grubby green colour, but it's a long time ago now!

I know a little about 'Little Barford'  

Livery at Little Barford power station was blue along with 'Edmonson'  it moved under its own power in the 60's from LB up the GN main line to Sandy, then through the transfer sidings to the Cambridge to Bedford line and along to Bedford where it worked at Goldington Power station before being moved to Acton.

I often wondered why 'Edmonson' was left at LB but it turns out the power station was originally "The Edmonson Power company'  I'm sure I remember a 4W diesel shuffling 16T coal wagons about when we used to pass by in the late 60's early 70's, again it was in Blue.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hi all,

Remember that the BRM October Digital Edition includes an extra video on the Hatton's announcement. You have the pleasure of seeing Andy York interview Hatton's Dave Mylett, showing how EP samples come together and you see both new models running on the Hatton's test track.

The new Digital Edition can be download at www.brmm.ag/BRMdigi

Enjoy,

Steve

Whoo-hoo! MOS No. 2.L. (AB 2119)  here I come.

Remember that the BRM October Digital Edition includes an extra video on the Hatton's announcement. You have the pleasure of seeing Andy York interview Hatton's Dave Mylett, showing how EP samples come together and you see both new models running on the Hatton's test track.

Would that be this vid from earlier in the thread?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Whilst I haven't been able to test if P4 or EM wheelsets would fit, we don't think it would be possible without some serious rebuilding of the valve gear.

The axle diameter is ~2.1mm

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Much appreciated.

Is there any chance of a photo of the underside of the chassis showing the distance between the wheels and crossheads, or an approximate measurement of the spacing between the inner faces of the crossheads?

I'm not against a bit of modification (I'm getting used to it in P4) but it would be nice to have an idea of how much work might be needed.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave,

Much appreciated.

Is there any chance of a photo of the underside of the chassis showing the distance between the wheels and crossheads, or an approximate measurement of the spacing between the inner faces of the crossheads?

I'm not against a bit of modification (I'm getting used to it in P4) but it would be nice to have an idea of how much work might be needed.

Managed to get a quick photo of the underside of the Andrew Barclay.

post-28458-0-28094700-1505212694_thumb.jpg

The obvious caveat here being that this is very much a pre-production sample which was hand-built by the factory so does not completely represent the finished model.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks for that, there's a lot of detail under there too, very nice.

It looks like it will be interesting to regauge one but maybe not impossible, a Hornby Q6 didn't beat me so I think it'll be worth a try.

Even as a pre production sample that's very impressive.

• Like 1

Thanks for that information Jason. I suppose my point is that the images appear to show a straight surface where I think it should be curved. I'd just like it to look like a boiler and not a box and the time to mention these things is now rather than when the actual model comes out. Oh, and if I'm wrong, which I may well be, then I apologise to all concerned.

I see where you are come from David. The boiler certainly sat low in relation to the running plate and unless your eyes were at sweet spot level, it looks unlikely that you would be able to see through to the other side.

https://flic.kr/p/9nazjS

I think we can take it as read that what we see at the moment is what we will get when it appears on the shelves. The flat face being a consequence of the chassis design and trying to pack in as much weight as possible. A little bit of ingenuity might see something done by those of who finds that flat face bugs us but I guess that will have to wait till we get our hands on one( or two )

Some questions for Hattons Dave if I may.

Is the crosshead and piston rod to be manufactured in plastic?

Are the buffers sprung?

Any plans to do the very common post war cab?  (As seen in the link above)

Will spares be readily available?

P

Oh & thanks for doing the whistle in brass.

Edited by Porcy Mane

I welcome the announcement of these models, having seen a number of the Barclay 'Pugs' in colliery service in Scotland in the 1970s at NCB Waterside and Frances, and preserved thereafter.

Although they shared a family resemblance there were of course many detail variations. The Speyside 'distillery' locos, Dailuaine and Balmenach, were both of the type with smaller 12x20" cylinders. Some such as the oldest survivor, Swanscombe, were 11x18"

http://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/swan.htm

'Tiny' is I think a 12x20 loco.Now at Ingrow museum.

I agree with those who welcome Hattons' recent, well-received, appearance at the Gauge 0 Guildex, and hope that the interest shown in a 7mm scale version of these locos will lead to their production in Gauge 0 in due course!

Dava

The two distillery examples which you referenced (both of which survive) are very much smaller 9" Barclays. I'm happy to be corrected but I don't think that any of the 14" type were ever used by the whisky industry.

Had a skim through Ian Peaty's Iron Rails and Whisky Trails and can only find definite proof as the 12"s for Dailuaine and Balmenach and a couple of others possibly smaller of of 1800s builds. No 14"s though. Im applying modellers license to this though.

• Like 1

post-23476-0-04823000-1505222295.pngpost-23476-0-68751000-1505222350_thumb.gifpost-23476-0-99912100-1505222368_thumb.gif

Managed to get a quick photo of the underside of the Andrew Barclay.

attachicon.gifAB_Underside.jpg

The obvious caveat here being that this is very much a pre-production sample which was hand-built by the factory so does not completely represent the finished model.

Cheers,

Dave

Maybe its just me, but from looking at the picture it does not look as if the coupler pocket is located correctly with respect to the buffers.

I suppose Bachmann and others place the pocket too far back to try an compensate for the ghastly over length tension locks, but then no close coupling will work correctly.

In this case, without a true close coupling mechanism, the pocket should be placed closer to the buffers than the standard suggests, to give some space. About 1.5 mm further out is fine, as that would give a coupling distance equivalent to the 9" or so between buffers found with loose coupled stock.

My previous comment notwithstanding, I will be buying one of these, and a P..... 

Luckily, for goods stock, I use Kadees, so I can usually find one that works. It just frustrates me in general, and in particular when pockets are wrong on passenger stock, so that all sorts of gymnastics are required to get close coupling when with European outline it is simply a case of removing the installed coupling and plugging in the close coupling of choice. (That is, if it wasn't there in the first place.)

Irony is that Bachmann Europe makes quite a nice close coupling of there own design, and you would think it would make sense to offer this on their British outline. Except of course the length is wrong for the non standard pockets!

• RMweb Gold

I see where you are come from David. The boiler certainly sat low in relation to the running plate and unless your eyes where at a sweet spot it looks unlikely that you would be able to see through to the other side.

https://flic.kr/p/9nazjS

I think we can take it as read that what we see at the moment is what we will get when it appears on the shelves. The flat face being a consequence of the chassis design and trying to pack in as much weight as possible. A little bit of ingenuity might see something done by those of who finds that flat face bugs us but I guess that will have to wait till we get our hands on one( or two )

Some questions for Hattons Dave if I may.

Is the crosshead and piston rod to be manufactured in plastic?

Are the buffers sprung?

Any plans to do the very common post war cab?  (As seen in the link above)

Will spares be readily available?

P

Oh & thanks for doing the whistle in brass.

1. Yes. To ensure the detail is properly captured it needed to be in plastic.

2. Indeed they are.

3. Unfortunately not for that particular cab. It would need to be scratch-built. We have accounted for 4 type of cab in the tooling but wanted to ensure we could produce these models at a reasonable price. We've purposely left the option open for more cabs in future but at this stage there are no solid plans.

4. As with our Warwells, a full range of spares will be available. As some spares will be limited we'll only be able to provide them to people who have purchased these locomotives.

5. You're welcome, I think it looks a lot better than painted plastic.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One question if possible to answer - how difficult would it be to remove the number plate from the cab sides? I'm tempted to buy two and turn them into 'private ownership' with different running numbers and personalised nameplates.

I went ahead and pre-ordered 6 of the 12, and I looked at the detail difference sheet, oh man this is is going to be a fun time, I'm honestky glad these are standard run, so I can order each one eventually, I'll stick with two initially if saving up gets difficult. I honestly can't wait to finally get my layout working and have these locos on it.

• RMweb Gold

According to various sources, 701 was renumbered to 1140 by BR in June 1948 and the loco was scrapped in 1958.

Presumably 705 is a fictitious preservation era number? [EDIT: the entry on the ESR website states as much].

Given that 701 most likely received BR paint and markings at the same time it was renumbered, the BR one would be better numbered as 1140.

Always assuming that the model has the right combination of features.

John

It doesn't have the right combination of features - the chimney is different, the safety valve casing is (obviously?) different, the buffer housings are different, and Dave Mylett has already stated there were differences in respects of the cab.  The Hattons version in GWR/BR liveries is basically a model of a 'redecorated' preserved engine which it looks to represent fairly accurately but would require some surgery to make it accurately represent 701/1140.    

An odd thing is that both Hornby with the Peckett and now Hattons with the Barclay have modelled a class of industrial engine which operated on the Swansea Harbour Trust's railway but in both cases - for perfectly good manufacturing reasons - neither can offer an accurate model of the Swansea engines (in fact it's even more difficult with the Pecketts as nobody yet seems to have uncovered photos or drawings which show all the details, but particularly the cabs and backsheets, of engines withdrawn c.90 years ago).

3. Unfortunately not for that particular cab. It would need to be scratch-built. We have accounted for 4 type of cab in the tooling but wanted to ensure we could produce these models at a reasonable price. We've purposely left the option open for more cabs in future but at this stage there are no solid plans.

Thanks for this very helpful level of engagement.

Do the existing four cab variants include the one with long oval windows per the photie of Tiny at the top of the previous page?

1. Yes. To ensure the detail is properly captured it needed to be in plastic.

2. Indeed they are.

4. As with our Warwells, a full range of spares will be available. As some spares will be limited we'll only be able to provide them to people who have purchased these locomotives.

5. You're welcome, I think it looks a lot better than painted plastic.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

In the same spirit as Porcy I have a question. The images of the lower part of the boiler appear to drop straight down rather than curve under to form a cylinder. The image I have of what it should look like is this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ce/Nora.JPG/500px-Nora.JPG

Is the EP the final word or is there still time/opportunity to adjust details like this?

Well done to Hattons for taking the job on in the first place BTW.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

Had a skim through Ian Peaty's Iron Rails and Whisky Trails and can only find definite proof as the 12"s for Dailuaine and Balmenach and a couple of others possibly smaller of of 1800s builds. No 14"s though. Im applying modellers license to this though.

The 12" cylinder Barclays as used in Speyside were noticeably smaller all round than the much chunkier 14" and 16" locos. The suggestion of standard gauge Barclays with 9" cylinders is, politely, incorrect. They did produce narrow gauge side tank locos, eg 'Fair Maid of Foyers'.

Dava

• Like 1