WR-style 'RU' Branding on BR Brake Van

TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

This picture of a BR Brake Van with WR-style 'RU' branding came up elsewhere this morning.

post-9767-0-25614700-1513103100_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately it was scanned from an old print, and the person who has it couldn't work out what the lettering was.

I've only ever seen one of these vans with branding on it and that was a fitted one with a list of trains it was booked to work.

The picture was taken at Kings Norton sometime around the early 1960s, possibly 1963 by the weather? The Ivatt 2-6-0s did work to Kings Norton on trips at that time and it is probably working back Engine and Brake to Washwood Heath.

It's a bit of a long shot but can anyone shed any light on this van?

Thanks

Eric

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Certainly a restricted user, but we can't tell where from. It also has some wording on the other end, possible a circuit working. 

The only other one I have seen was a fitted one branded for some workings between Paddington and Newton Abbot. Didn't seem very effective though as there are photos of it at Newcastle on the cement tanks and in the yard at Staines.

• RMweb Gold

The WR was, according to one BR source, not the only Region that branded certain freight brakevans 'RU' (Restricted User) but I have never seen a picture - let alone an actual van - from any other Region so branded (until now, or was that a WR van?)

It may be a WR van. I don't remember seeing a branded BR one in the area myself. We did get quite a few Toads on the Midland line. Edited by TheSignalEngineer