TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2022 at 20:51, peterfgf said:

That seems much more likely.  I asked them about a year ago when the G5s could be expected and was told Q3 2022.  I'm pleased it has only slipped one quarter, but lets see.

Peterfgf

Alex confirmed April 2023, now it’s down to Bachmann 

Edited by AGR Model Store
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/05/2022 at 07:45, AGR Model Store said:

Alex confirmed April 2023, now it’s down to Bachmann 

Help! I haven't built the coaches to go with my 1532 yet and now the pressure is on to finish those D&S NER 6-wheelers started in 1988...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 08/05/2022 at 19:50, Compound2632 said:

Help! I haven't built the coaches to go with my 1532 yet and now the pressure is on to finish those D&S NER 6-wheelers started in 1988...

But did the G5's ever run with 6 wheeled coaches?  Ever since Hattons announced their 6 wheel coaches, I have been looking for photographs of G5s pulling 6 wheel coaches, and haven't found any.  

As far as I have can see G5s, from their earliest incarnation as NER class O and then as LNER G5, are pulling bogied coaches.  I'd be delighted if someone can point to photographs where they are pulling 6 wheel coaches.

John S

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, it's-er said:

But did the G5's ever run with 6 wheeled coaches?  Ever since Hattons announced their 6 wheel coaches, I have been looking for photographs of G5s pulling 6 wheel coaches, and haven't found any.  

As far as I have can see G5s, from their earliest incarnation as NER class O and then as LNER G5, are pulling bogied coaches.  I'd be delighted if someone can point to photographs where they are pulling 6 wheel coaches.

John S

I'll be wanting a BTP instead, then. I dug through my Hawes Junction photos - there's a splendid one, c. 1905, a Johnson Belpaire at the head of an up Scotch Express, with NER 6-wheelers in the Hawes platform, but there's another one of a BTP - not, though, I'm sure, by the same photographer so probably not the same day! 

Anyone know if and when Os displaced BTPs? The other photo I have in mind on the Hawes line is an A, but I think that's on bogies.

But the NER had thousands of 6-wheelers, so there must have been something pulling them!

The forthcoming Hattons 6-wheelers have many points of resemblance to NER 6-wheelers - more than they do to many others.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ken Hoole's North Eastern Branch Line Termini will have the details for those lines it covers. ISTR the Os replaced BTPs in the mid-1920s as the BTPs were withdrawn or converted to J77 0-6-0Ts. However, on many branches the BTPs pulled (bogie) NER auto-trailers, the combination being known as a "steam autocar". The Os replaced them in this role.

My copy of the book isn't to accessible to me ATM, but I can't remember any mention of 6-wheel stock being used. I'm wondering if the NER used them, possibly, on miners trains — as I believe the GWR did with 4-wheel stock in South Wales into the 1940s.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

My copy of the book isn't to accessible to me ATM, but I can't remember any mention of 6-wheel stock being used. I'm wondering if the NER used them, possibly, on miners trains — as I believe the GWR did with 4-wheel stock in South Wales into the 1940s.

The NER's vast fleet of 6-wheel carriages will have been the normal service stock on many services prior to the introduction of bogie carriages. North Eastern Record Vol. 2 gives a total of 1,400 32 ft 6-wheelers built 1881-1895, and over 1,000 bogie clerestory carriages built 1895-1906. Obviously those 1,400 6-wheelers didn't vanish overnight; they're also far too numerous to all have been consigned to miners' trains; the bogie carriages will have been replacements of carriages dating from before the 32 ft 6-wheelers, mostly. If one allows a carriage service lifetime of around 25 years, only the very oldest of the 32 ft 6-wheelers will have been due for replacement by the time the last of the clerestory bogie carriages entered service. 

The Class O engines first appeared in 1894, before the first bogie carriages appeared. The logical conclusion must be that they will initially have worked train of 6-wheelers! 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Paul Cram said:

On the Hawes branch the BTPs were replaced by class A and then they were replaced by G5s in the thirties. All the six wheelers on the NER had gone by  then

Thanks; that ties in with the photos I have seen. I'm not interested in the 30s!

Nineteen G5's were converted to push-pull by the LNER from 1937 and BR converted two more (reference NERA Express issue 119). Until then I don't believe they did any push pull / autocar type work.

I have a book somewhere with a photo of an O at Scarborough in NER days, which I'm fairly sure is hooked up to six wheelers. When I find it, I'll post some more info.

• Informative/Useful 1

I've found the photo I was thinking of on a public Facebook group. No.468 at Scarborough with a Pickering bound train.

No.468 was released for service in June 1901, so that should at least give turn of the century for six wheelers behind O's.

142189435_3598246140229177_7734751176994430873_n.jpg

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the responses to my note of 2 June as to whether NER class O/LNER G5s pulled 6 wheel coaches.

These rather confirm what I suspected, which is that G5s generally ran with clerestory, other NER bogied coaches, and Gresley stock.  Thank you, thetalkinlens for your photograph above from the very early 1900s: very interesting, and what a superb finish on the locomotive!  But it confirms my suspicion that you have to go back a very long way to find an NER class O (and no G5 so far!) pulling 6 wheel coaches.

The latest photograph I could find of NER 6 wheel coaches was taken around 1907 up Weardale - I think it was at Stanhope or Wolsingham. 

Compound2632 - on your note of 2 June, no, you need several of TMC/Bachmann's G5 at least!

John Storey

• Like 1

I have a hankering for a G5 like every one else. From what I have read, almost all of the 6 wheel coaches were gone before grouping. The NER had a massive push late 1890's  to 1910 to remove them. This is why so many of the clerestories and bow roofed stock lasted through grouping. My understanding is the life span of all the timber framed coaches was about 30 years. The 6 wheelers were removed as they didnt ride very well either. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DougN said:

From what I have read, almost all of the 6 wheel coaches were gone before grouping. The NER had a massive push late 1890's  to 1910 to remove them. 

See my post above. If one takes the Midland's 21.5 years in capital stock as a guide, then one would expect the 1,400 32 ft 6-wheelers built 1881-1895 to be renewed in the period 1903-1917. As I argued above, the 1,000 or so clerestory bogie carriages built 1895-1906 must therefore have been renewals of of earlier carriages, built 1873-1884. 

When it comes to photographic evidence, one has to consider sample bias. A photographer of the time, with his expensive glass plates, was going to prefer to photograph the latest, smartest trains, not boring everyday trains of 6-wheelers. 

The piece of photographic evidence I cited is a case in point: the six-wheelers at Hawes Junction c. 1905 were just incidentally in the background of a photograph of a Belpaire on a Scotch Express.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the last remaining 6 wheelers were used as strengtheners, there's a shot at Crossgates with a 'standard' set of clerestories with a 6 wheel third behind the class O. Plenty of photos of 6 wheelers behind class A, BTP and 4-4-0s in earlier times. Also remember in their earlier days class O were used on the heavier, longer distance 'stopping' trains with A and BTP handling the bucolic branches.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I reminded by that of the late Brian Jackson explaining how he discovered the only known photo of the pagoda shelter at Came Down Halt near Dorchester. He was at a farm sale, in the background of a photo of one of the farm’s past pedigree bulls he spotted that the station was just visible above the animal. Of little relevance as an agricultural image, highly prized as a railway history artefact, 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good news.........The G5 livery samples have started to arrive and all should be here by the end of the month. The detailed checking process is underway and we will post photographs here over the next few weeks of each sample.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2022 at 09:52, Worsdell forever said:

I think the last remaining 6 wheelers were used as strengtheners, there's a shot at Crossgates with a 'standard' set of clerestories with a 6 wheel third behind the class O. 

What date? If I may ask.

On 09/06/2022 at 09:52, Worsdell forever said:

I think the last remaining 6 wheelers were used as strengtheners, there's a shot at Crossgates with a 'standard' set of clerestories with a 6 wheel third behind the class O. Plenty of photos of 6 wheelers behind class A, BTP and 4-4-0s in earlier times. Also remember in their earlier days class O were used on the heavier, longer distance 'stopping' trains with A and BTP handling the bucolic branches.

All the NER 6 wheel carriages had gone by the end of 1930. Source  LNER Supplement to carriage stock book 1919. Copy in my possession.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Paul Cram said:

All the NER 6 wheel carriages had gone by the end of 1930. Source  LNER Supplement to carriage stock book 1919. Copy in my possession.

With build dates of 1881-1895 for the 32 ft carriages, that's not surprising. One would expect them to be due for renewal around 1906-1920 (after the building of the clerestory carriages) with some lingering on in duplicate stock.