Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

8 hours ago, Annie said:

And done.  It might not look like it, but there was all kinds of fiddly hand drawing involved in doing that lettering.

ImyHpCG.jpg

Looks very good, with a very realistic patina.

As I share those initials, I am choosing not to regard your wagon as a premonition, or, indeed, injunction!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Annie said:

And done.  It might not look like it, but there was all kinds of fiddly hand drawing involved in doing that lettering.

ImyHpCG.jpg

Nicely lettered.

I don't think there's anything to upset folk, though you could imagine that announcing a birth might require a bit of careful phrasing - "There's a new Death in the family..." - might not cut the mustard!

Would JH have a telephone?  Would he answer it with "HULLOO, DEATH HERE" More likely a telegraphic address. DEATH Colchester.

11 hours ago, Thunderforge said:

Nice! I believe the Headmaster in Gormenghast was named de’Ath. 

Will you be making the “Hugh, Pugh, Barney, McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble & Grubb” wagons? :-)

As in grocers notices, the apostrophe appears to be a moveable feast...

Its been banging away at my subconscious all morning, the Trumpton Firemen are Pugh, Pugh, Barney Mcgrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub.

The Pughs are twins and Barney drives the engine.  What was the firechief called?  It'd certainly give Pugh Bros, Mcgrew, Cuthbert & Co, Dibble Ltd and Grub as PO names!

I don't think I'll go into the Riots today...

Edited by Hroth
Trumpton! And spelin, natch...
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

22 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

Dorothy L Sayers fans will be aware that one of Lord Peter Wimsey's middle names was De'Ath. It's a plot point in "Murder Must Advertise".

Yes, of course, In had quite forgotten.  Which triggers some other dim recollection, isn't there a character called De'Ath in one of the Discworld novels, as well, obviously, as DEATH himself?  

death___discworld_fan_art_by_killjoy49th-d9bp6w3.jpg.57acb20a02583c01e70f865ed40c4e84.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

isn't there a character called De'Ath in one of the Discworld novels, as well, obviously, as DEATH himself?  

Isnt it one of the guests at the Ball in Witches Abroad?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its been banging away at my subconscious all morning, the Trumpton Firemen are Pugh, Pugh, Barney Mcgrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub.

Ah so that's where it's from.  It's been knocking around in my brain as well.  Definitely a possibility for future PO wagons.

1 hour ago, Tom Burnham said:

Dorothy L Sayers fans will be aware that one of Lord Peter Wimsey's middle names was De'Ath. It's a plot point in "Murder Must Advertise".

Now that I did not know.

57 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, of course, In had quite forgotten.  Which triggers some other dim recollection, isn't there a character called De'Ath in one of the Discworld novels, as well, obviously, as DEATH himself?  

My son annexed all my Discworld novels and hauled them away to the South Island on his last visit so I can't look it up.  I really should see if I can get the Discworld novels on Kindle.

52 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Isnt it one of the guests at the Ball in Witches Abroad?

Ditto, see above.

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Looks very good, with a very realistic patina.

As I share those initials, I am choosing not to regard your wagon as a premonition, or, indeed, injunction!

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Would JH have a telephone?  Would he answer it with "HULLOO, DEATH HERE" More likely a telegraphic address. DEATH Colchester.

Now that made me think about PO wagons with telegraphic addresses sign written on their wagon sides.  I know I have seen some photos of such somewhere , but I wouldn't have a clue where now.

I made the texture blanks for these wagon meshes a good while ago and I was a bit surprised at how good they still looked.  I can't remember how I did the patina/weathering now, but it no doubt involved me harassing pixels with the graphics tools in Paint.NET. 

I decided to make a second J.H. Death wagon.  It's believed that they were given odd numbers starting from '101' so I made the new wagon No. 101 on the strength of it.

Oh and I must mention that William Bundy stopped making bricks in 1913 so that fits in with my slightly elastic 1910  time period perfectly.

sXAEUWE.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

In full, Peter Death Bredon Wimsey.

No apostrophe!

(had to look it up, couldn't remember which came first)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Broad Gauge cheer up picture.

(Didcot Railway Centre) Ten 2-4-0 side tank locomotives, Nos 3501 to 3510, had been built in 1885 for the broad gauge, but designed as convertibles to be easily rebuilt for the narrow (standard) gauge when the time came. Three of these, Nos 3502, 3505 and 3508, were altered to tender engines in May 1890, giving sufficient water capacity for the specific task of working the Cornishman non-stop between Exeter and Plymouth. This photograph shows No 3508 as a tender engine on the broad gauge.

qhBDl4A.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Still wanting to go to sleep all the time.  I did managed to come up with this though.  I'm not sure if I'll complete the rest of the series or not yet.  I thought I'd try out different lettering with this one and make it a bit more 'wordy'.

aYDd8or.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I made an attempt at doing a GER area PO wagon that had unusual lettering, but I couldn't get it to go right so I did another fictitious PO wagon instead to cheer myself up.  I'm past the halfway point with Just Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub to go now.

NJp8dmB.jpg

Edited by Annie
Um.........
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Continuing the discussion on 'Death' as a surname I've just had an elderly Norfolk born gentleman who is a member of the creator group I belong to tell me that 'Death' was also an occasional occupational name for a gatherer and seller of kindling.

• Informative/Useful 5

2 hours ago, Annie said:

Continuing the discussion on 'Death' as a surname I've just had an elderly Norfolk born gentleman who is a member of the creator group I belong to tell me that 'Death' was also an occasional occupational name for a gatherer and seller of kindling.

Picking of sticks ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Picking of sticks ...

Played that many a time for an early dance group....

I know people who turn green whenever Playford is mentioned.

This one is another "favourite"

You can get coals from there to light with your sticks....

And of course, you need to finish with a Magot.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

In partnership as seed and potato merchants?

Jim

I wasn't sure whether to 'like' that, or 'applaud' it or 'laugh' Jim. 

It would be an awfully good name for a seed and rural supplies merchant though.  I'll have to think about that.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I was having a lot of problems with staying awake today, but despite that I got the next wagon in the Camberwick PO wagons series done.

screenshot-02.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Another GER 6 wheel coach will be available very soon.  May and now June are turning out to be a wonderful time for GER modellers.

JMrtOfc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1