J15 kit in 7mm scale

At Guildex last weekend, I was fortunate to acquire a J15 kit from the remnants of Richard Chown's estate. It is etched brass [no castings] and comes under the label of TDM and Studio Scale Models. TDM stands for Terry McDermott of Dublin. The etchings are actually dated 1985, but the kit is 1998 as this is the date of the letter Terry sent to Richard with the kit, reminding him he still owed £2.50 P&P!

Any info on this kit would be most welcome, especially any thoughts on where to source castings for buffers, springs, axle boxes, safety valves, cab detail etc. At the moment, all I have is a chimney and dome, though there is a nice outline drawing included.

You might want to ask Des Sullivan at SSM whether he was handed any 7mm artwork or castings for the J15 when he took control of SSM.

There is also the possibility that the 7mm frets were done as a one-off for the late Mr. Chown; I've never seen one.

Edited by Horsetan

You might want to ask Des Sullivan at SSM whether he was handed any 7mm artwork or castings for the J15 when he took control of SSM.

There is also the possibility that the 7mm frets were done as a one-off for the late Mr. Chown; I've never seen one.

As far as I recall the SSM produced the J15 as a set of etches in 7mm in nickle silver when Paul Green operated the business, I remember seeing the frets at an MRSI club night about 20 years ago no castings were included.

Dave Walker (also also modeled the WLWR in the same era as Richard Chown) had a very nice J15 on his 7mm Killaney layout which may have been assembled from TMD/SSM etchings rather than scratchbuilt.

61666 description indicates that the original 1985 4mm J15 TMD artwork may have been "blown-up" to 7mm scale.