Airbrushing

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I have just aquired one of the airbrush kits from E-Bay & never having used one before I have been having a bit of a practice on an old peak body.I am using Railmatch paint diluted 1:1,but the coverage is very thin & translucent,I am spraying at 20psi from approx 3 inches.Is it normal to be able to see the primer coat after 2 or 3 colour coats?? also I am getting a very matt finish.I was not sure what pressure to spray at or the dilution rate??If anyone could give a few tips it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

MickD.

Hi,

I have just aquired one of the airbrush kits from E-Bay & never having used one before I have been having a bit of a practice on an old peak body.I am using Railmatch paint diluted 1:1,but the coverage is very thin & translucent,I am spraying at 20psi from approx 3 inches.Is it normal to be able to see the primer coat after 2 or 3 colour coats?? also I am getting a very matt finish.I was not sure what pressure to spray at or the dilution rate??If anyone could give a few tips it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

MickD.

Rail match has a tendency to be classed as "thin", the dilution should work, but usually a higher pressure will be needed. With a well set up airbrush the coats will be very thin and remain somewhat translucent, it takes time and practice to kno how far to go, and how long this will take.

Try an increase in pressure and increase the distance a bit. You don't mention the exact type, internal mix, external mix, or fully controllable type, it all makes a lot of difference.

One body is not going to provide enough experience, get a stack of old tin cans and practice with undercoats, and top coats, varying the settings on the gun as well as adjusting the pressure and distance, look very hard at the results when dry to assess them.

Most "satin paint" will spray a bit courser or matt if the pressure is low, the atomisation is not fine enough. Each make of paint will require lots more experience to get things right.

In general Phoenix Precision are rated as the accepted standard for ease of use. If you use cellulose, like car paint and primer these need far more thinners, but synthetic enamel needs less , about 50:50 at most, maybe a bit less thinners with Railmatch.

Never rush, painting is a slow process, build up paint too fast is asking for trouble, except with cellulose.

Acrylic paints are different , they need less "thinners" and a good undercoat to work as well as conventional paint. They are often used for landscape and building painting, and weathering processes, and you can use artists acrylics and inks as well in an airbrush for special paint effects.

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stephen,

Airbrush is double action internal mix,side feed with nozzle adjustment.I wasnt sure whether the pressure was too high or low.I will increase it and spray from further away and drop the dilution.Many thanks for your reply,it looks like another nice day today so I will get out side and practice some more.

MickD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies,Its obvious I was over-thinning the paint.I ha a go at spraying a 47 body yesterday and am quite pleased with the result,A bit more pressure (30lbs) and 1:50 thinning.Just got to practice masking off a bit more neatly.

Thanks all,

MickD.

Archived