Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Derby Works 1978

Derby Works

One thing that has puzzled me with APT power cars is the two sets of ETH cables, anyone why?

Lower down is a horn as there are a set of basic driving controls behind the door

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, russ p said:

Lower down is a horn as there are a set of basic driving controls behind the door

Well I’ve learnt something new today! I can’t imagine many circumstances where you’d want the thing to trundle about on its own but I suppose it might come in handy on a depot. Were driving controls provided at the other end too?

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PerthBox said:

Well I’ve learnt something new today! I can’t imagine many circumstances where you’d want the thing to trundle about on its own but I suppose it might come in handy on a depot. Were driving controls provided at the other end too?

I can't remember if both ends have them .

Would be useful when forming up sets , this was a well thought out train and not as permanently fixed as modern units . Also had generators in each driving car for emergency aircon and heating 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, PerthBox said:

Apparently both ends 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/06/2022 at 19:14, The Stationmaster said:

Most likely because there wasn't enough space to arrange the Down platform in any other way - although that does to some extent depend on what was built when.

It is worth remembering that Pen Mill had an overall roof until some point in the 1940s or 1950s, but the removal of the overall roof did not result in an alteration of the basic platform arrangement as it had come to be. There are some photos half-way down this page:

https://www.yeovilhistory.info/penmillstation.htm

I am not at all sure what the platform arrangement was when the overall roof was first built, but how it came to be makes more sense once one appreciates that it started out with an overall roof.

• Like 3

I wonder whether it was a single-sided, one platform station, in broad gauge days, probably with the platform much shorter, and that there wasn’t room to fit double track and another platform inside the shed, even with standard gauge, so it had to poke out on the other side.

It is certainly an interesting station, especially with the overall roof, and when I last had a proper look (c1982!!!) it still had bags of GWR features. Yeovil was well-blessed with interesting railway features, and the hills make them easy to observe, and add a picturesque quality, making it all look like a complicated toy train set.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2022 at 09:39, russ p said:

One thing that has puzzled me with APT power cars is the two sets of ETH cables, anyone why?

From the APT Technical Training Notes:

APTshunt.jpg.cf52c3637b029b94253e7f67be51945f.jpg

This is mentioned elsewhere in the notes regarding moving various combinations of trains/vehicles. Basically a 'brake release' button held down by the man standing in the gangway. Doesn't mention a horn though.

Regarding the ETH sockets - the 2x2 sockets are for the 510V supply to the train Motor Alternator sets located in the Van First vehicles (TBF). Also provided are a 415V 3-phase auxiliary supply and 3 multiway Control Jumpers.

The Diesel Alternator sets (mounted behind the cabs in the DTS vehicles) will take over from MA sets if faulty or if the train is being hauled by a locomotive.

If two Power Cars are used, they have a 25kV link between them (presumably between roof-mounted bus-bars) which can only be attached/detached away from or under isolated Catenary.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not many electric tail lamps about back then and in any case more or less confined to specific workings

Indeed. I only remember electric tail lamps on fuel tank trains and ECML expresses at that time. The electric lamps were very different to those used now.

Edited by 50A55B
Additional clarity
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

For that small industrial scene layout?

From Andy Kirkham

APR 74 04. 45111 Grenadier Guardsman at Holman Bros works Camborne, April 16 1974

APR 74 04. 45111 Grenadier Guardsman at Holman Bros works Camborne, April 16 1974

From the other side of the level crossing(?). There's nothing like a good pile of metal. From the condition, one might have at first assumed it was scrap, but more likely it's cast ingots intended for the Holman Bros metal works production.

APR 74 05. 45111 Grenadier Guardsman at Holman Bros works Camborne, April 16 1974

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I'm posting this because it's one of those items that is popular with model manufacturers, but you don't actually see many pictures of them.

Derby Litchurch Lane Carriage Works 1977 by John Woolley

31024_1977_06_Derby

Wonder why it doesn't have an M suffix

• Agree 1