Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

In that collection, was there any significance to the pair of horizontal white bands on many of the NCB internal users?

Top of load/load level? I've seen 16T's with slots cut into the sides and was told that was the maximum load level.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, 33C said:

I've seen 16T's with slots cut into the sides and was told that was the maximum load level.

When 16T's were reused on engineer's trains for spoil/spent ballast.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, 33C said:

Top of load/load level? I've seen 16T's with slots cut into the sides and was told that was the maximum load level.

But that was after transfer to the engineers mainly to carry spoil, a lot denser material than coal, so easy to overload a 16tonner. Look at how similar an Iron ore tippler is, but they have heavier journals and can carry 27 tons in much the same load space. 

Paul

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, 33C said:

I wondered about that and dismissed it because many in that collection are visibly loaded far higher than the lines, and also there are lines are on 16t minerals in that collection, which were designed to be brim full of coal. As Paul said, the slots in traffic ones were for denser material. 

11 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

WL5 & WL3 at South Gosforth Tyne & Wear Metro 1989 by Dave Peachey

19890930.SouthGosforth.WL5.Brush805of1977.WL3.Brush803of1977.LR

WL1 & WL4

19890930.SouthGosforth.WL4.Brush804of1977.WL1.Brush801of1977.LR19890930.SouthGosforth.WL1.Brush801of1977.LR

WL2

19890930.SouthGosforth.WL2.Brush802of1977.LR

A group of us in a minibus turned up unannounced at South Gosforth on a Sunday morning in 1986 and were given a full tour of the place - including the Control Room!  

Bet you couldn't do that nowadays.....

86-120

86-121

86-122

86-123

• Like 14

There was a tramway to the yard, to bring coprolites, which were used as a source of fertiliser, for loading to main line wagons, and I think that building with a windmill poking out of the roof might have been something to do with that industry.

A fest of pointwork, eh?

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not only Cambridgeshire: the “rush” extended to the Beds/Bucks border too.

Sadly desecrated by the building of a big road and lots of houses in the past few years, but it was possible to trace the route of a coprolite tramway near where I live, from the vestiges of a pit on a hillside, down across several big fields to the river, where weirs and channels had been created to wash the valuable nodules, before they were schlepped a short bit further to be loaded into canal boats.

• Like 3

On 27/05/2022 at 10:44, Andy Kirkham said:

A few years ago "Not Jeremy" remarked that one of my photos was rather similar to a published one by Hugh Dady.

A few of my photos are almost identical to published photos, but that’s because the person who took the published ones was standing beside me when I took mine 😀. I’m sure that sort of thing will apply to some other ERs too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pH said:

A few of my photos are almost identical to published photos, but that’s because the person who took the published ones was standing beside me when I took mine 😀. I’m sure that sort of thing will apply to some other ERs too.

Absolutely!

Paul

On 04/06/2022 at 20:01, montyburns56 said:

"When I were a lad, my family was so poor that we couldn't afford a holiday, but sometimes as a special treat we'd all get dressed up and watch other people going on theirs"

When I wuzz a lad in Devon, we would bicycle over to Newton Abbot and watch them arriving.

The site of the old Motor Rail Terminal at Newton Abbot station. The building to the left is The Maltings and the branch off to the left originally reached Moretonhampstead

Newton Abbot old Motor Rail Terminal

• Like 8