Chart Sutton SECR 1914-1923

On 07/01/2022 at 17:57, Dana Ashdown said:

Turbosnail did artwork for the R1 back in early 2018, both the full Wainwright version and the black SER version for the R Class. They were colour PDFs that you printed and cut out to suit. I did an SE&CR R Class and an SE&CR R1 Class with these using Wrenn engines. With careful cutting, I was able to do cab doors and the rear of the bunker.

This is No.69. The green is Humbrol Brunswick Green; the tanks and cab were outlined with black paint before the paper overlays were put on.

The Wainwright sheet link is near the bottom of this page:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=949779

2135298497_SECRR1No_69.JPG.4e5a5bc1f1cfede47d6c4d16e5e5338b.JPG

That looks very nice.. I believe that the first few R1 rebuilds were carried out in the Wainwright period, so can legitimately carry the full livery. I was not aware that Mr Snail had done the artwork for the paper prints of the livery panels. Must have a word with him. By the way, what type of paper did you print them onto, or was it transfer paper ?

Many thanks

All the best

Ray

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

I believe that the first few R1 rebuilds were carried out in the Wainwright period, so can legitimately carry the full livery.

No 69 was rebuilt in December 1911 so before Maunsell simplified the livery in 1913. That said various experts might weigh in and say that some goods locos carried a simpilified livery before that

• Like 2

On 09/01/2022 at 07:37, wainwright1 said:

That looks very nice.. I believe that the first few R1 rebuilds were carried out in the Wainwright period, so can legitimately carry the full livery. I was not aware that Mr Snail had done the artwork for the paper prints of the livery panels. Must have a word with him. By the way, what type of paper did you print them onto, or was it transfer paper ?

Hello Ray.

I printed the artwork out on the colour laser printer/copier at the local office supply store, so I just used whatever paper was in the machine. The sections were then cut out and glued in place with a regular glue stick.

My printouts were slightly on the large size, so a little bit was lost around the edges of the tank panels, but otherwise it went very well. The boiler bands were cut-out and applied individually over the boiler, which was painted in Humbrol Brunswick Green. After everything was on, I varnished it with Humbrol satin.

I think outlining the tanks, cab and bunker in black before applying the panels improves the final look.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, with a bit of careful cutting you can make the panel for the rear of the bunker, cab doors, and the front of the side tanks.

If you plan on putting lamp irons or anything else on the rear bunker, put the paper panels on first, then fit the irons.

I also did an R Class in Wainwright livery with another Wrenn R1 by cutting the roof off and fitting the curved Stirling roof. The safety valve was moved to the base of the steam dome base (which had beed cut off); and I fitted wing plates to the smokebox front. I don't have a picture available, but it looked quite good even if not entirely accurate.

It might/should be possible to adapt Mr. Snail's artwork for other SE&CR tank engines, and possibly a tender engine.

Dana

Edited by Dana Ashdown
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...