"Flippem Automatic Coupling System" a replacement for Dingham couplings

MarcD

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, MarcD said:

Hi Jamie,

To answer your question on strength. Vastly stronger. I have increased the thickness of material by 1/4 and increased the cross section of the loops by a 1/4 as well. 

Hope this helps

Marc

Thanks Marc.  The trains that I want to shunt will mainly be only  6 wagons and a brake but there is one movement where I want to detach a horsebox from a passenger train, shunt it into a bay then reattach the loco. The train could well have 4 or five brass bogie clerestories.  However I will give it a go as I like the way that Dinghams and Flippems fit through the existing coupling slot.  There will be an order in due course.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having cleared the bench of other things I've just started to fit some more of these couplings. All is OK save for the fact that I'm struggling to get their colour to change after an application of Birchwood Casey's Brass Black.

I also bought some Super Blue from the same company a while ago and that didn't do much either.

I have used a permanent black marker before but the tip gets chewed up quite quickly because of the various edges on the couplings.

Has anyone any other ideas please?

Ray,

How long did you leave your couplings in the Birchwood solution? I find it works best if left suspended in the gun blue for at least five minutes after making sure the couplings are throughly degreased first. Also, gun blue does not colour solder which may also affect your results.

HTH

David

• RMweb Premium

I've latterly been using a brush to apply the solution having erroneously left some earlier ones in solution overnight and found the solder broke down leaving me with a pot of parts.

I've got a Sharpie somewhere and will try that.

• 7 months later...

Hi John,

I have ordered a batch of etches and I'm waiting for them to arrive. I will be chasing them in the morning so hopefully I should be able to post an update.

As for the "on backorder"  it means I have no stock but they are in the process of being manufactured. For kits most of them are made in house and it just means I can make them to order.

Marc

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you, Marc

A few years ago I bought a load of Dinghams, what I thought was enough. Then life took over and I'm just getting back into thinking railway thoughts. I went to ExpoEM yesterday and saw them (or maybe yours) in operation on Eastwood L&Y.

And what I thought was enough wasn't, so need more.

However, now I can't find the Dinghams! So you may be getting more from me.

Edited by Coombe Barton
Typoman