High Wycombe Broad Gauge station 1856-1862

11 hours ago, genixia said:

Wycombe was originally built as a combined passenger station/carriage house/engine shed.  The latter two because it was a terminus when built - it was GWR practice to station the train at the end of a branch overnight.  Maybe in its earliest days it handled goods too. I would be surprised if its architectural style was the same as dedicated Goods sheds though.  Do you think that two broad gauge lines ran through the main shed originally?  I know that all the maps that I've seen have two lines, but I don't think that I've seen one from broad gauge days (pre-1870).  If so, one of the lines would have been poorly accessible to passengers because it wouldn't have had a platform and would have had the engine shed line on its other side.  That might not be a problem - I suspect that in the earliest days people were much more laissez-faire about crossing the tracks.  I note that in the earlier maps that there appears to be a ramp exiting the platform at the western end.

So I wonder if the goods sheds were built when the line opened or a little later.  Despite being built to IKB designs and specifications, and being operated from the beginning by GWR, the Wycombe Railway Company was initially an independent privately funded concern.  I suspect that they built enough to prove the service was useful and then rapidly expanded as passengers and goods started taking advantage.  We know that Loudwater didn't initially have a goods loop.  The earliest photo of Marlow Road that I can find (1875) shows wheel-barrows on the platform with no suggestion of anything built behind the station.  The station building itself looks similar to Loudwater too.  I think that the goods sheds might have appeared after the conversion from broad gauge.

(Incidentally, Iron Dukes could never have been at Wycombe.  They didn't appear until 1871, a year after the Wycombe branch had been converted to standard gauge).

I think you are getting rather confused. Wycombe as built had a trainshed over two lines and a single platform on one side there was an attached booking office and the other side a single road engine shed, the goods shed was located in the yard well away from the passenger station. see attached 1860 , map where I have marked up the station and goods shed. Sometime in the 1880s the original goods shed was taken down and the trusses and other materials were added on to the old station which had now become a goods shed since a new station was opened in 1864 on the new alinement to Thame, I have marked up on the 1875 map where the goods shed and the covered goods canopy were added to the old station.

I have attached a 1880s map that shows the old station with the old goods shed and other building added its quite a strange shape, it was later squared up in 1905-6.

Bourne End or Marlow Road as it was on opening had a goods shed where the Marlow branch bay was later and this goods shed was taken down and rebuilt where it stands now.

As built all the intermediate Wycombe Railway stations were built to exactly the same design although Bourne End was handed, but all got altered over the years. The terminus at Wycombe had a train shed as discussed above. When the line was extended to Thame in 1862 the same house style was used the intermediate stations having the same design and the terminus at Thame being exactly the same size and design as Wycombe, although plain brick was used on the stations instead of brick and flint.

Broad gauge locos at Wycombe and Thame seem to be the Sun class 2-2-2 running as saddle tanks, with 4-4-0 bogie class mentioned too.

I have attached my marked up maps and also a photo of Bourne End showing the goods shed in the original position.

1860 mark up.jpg

1875 map 2.png

Wycombe 1880s map.png

IMG_5899.JPG

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

That's a superb photo  on many levels - not least the Thames Valley buses still in pre-war livery!

Whilst I have seen claims in print that the WRC did not offer goods service until after the conversion of gauge in 1870 that appears to be incorrect as the goods shed at Marlow Road/Bourne End at least appears in early photos as shown above.  Initially, goods sheds were provided at Bourne End, Wooburn Green and High Wycombe plus at Princes Risborough and Thame on the subsequent extension.

Regarding its stations, the WRC had a standard design which appeared at Cookham, Bourne End, Wooburn Green and Loudwater.  All were initially identical except that Bourne End, being on the Down side was a mirror image of the others which were all on the Up side.  Over the years each was modified to a lesser or greater degree including extensions to all the living quarters except at Cookham.  The same design was repeated at Bledlow (but constructed entirely in brick not brick and flint) on the Thame extension and that remained in almost as-built condition until closure in 1963.  High Wycombe, West Wycombe, Princes Risborough and Thame all lacked the living accommodation but otherwise were very similar in design to the others, even allowing for the trainsheds attached to High Wycombe and Thame.  This same style was also used for the second, through, station at High Wycombe.

A big thank you to David, your research for this project is expanding our knowledge of the early days of the Wycombe Railway immensely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike_Walker said:

Whilst I have seen claims in print that the WRC did not offer goods service until after the conversion of gauge in 1870 that appears to be incorrect as the goods shed at Marlow Road/Bourne End at least appears in early photos as shown above.  Initially, goods sheds were provided at Bourne End, Wooburn Green and High Wycombe plus at Princes Risborough and Thame on the subsequent extension.

And also at Wheatley and Littlemore although both these goods shed that disappeared in the 1930s if not before. 

1 hour ago, Mike_Walker said:

Regarding its stations, the WRC had a standard design which appeared at Cookham, Bourne End, Wooburn Green and Loudwater.  All were initially identical except that Bourne End, being on the Down side was a mirror image of the others which were all on the Up side.  Over the years each was modified to a lesser or greater degree including extensions to all the living quarters except at Cookham.  The same design was repeated at Bledlow (but constructed entirely in brick not brick and flint) on the Thame extension and that remained in almost as-built condition until closure in 1963.  High Wycombe, West Wycombe, Princes Risborough and Thame all lacked the living accommodation but otherwise were very similar in design to the others, even allowing for the trainsheds attached to High Wycombe and Thame.  This same style was also used for the second, through, station at High Wycombe.

A big thank you to David, your research for this project is expanding our knowledge of the early days of the Wycombe Railway immensely.

The living accommodation was only provided if there was a level crossing, there were crossing keepers cottages at Furze Platt and also Cores End. The crossing keepers cottage design was also repeated at Mill Lane on the Henley branch.

The engineer for the Wycombe Railway was Brunel, when he died Murray became the engineer and repeated the same design as the section to Maidenhead -Wycombe design on the Wycombe Thame extension. For some reason on the extension to Aylesbury and Oxford Murray was not used as engineer and a chap called Ward was, he used a different design of bridge, instead  a of using an elliptical arch used a square cornered arch. also the station building at Aylesbury was different and so was the goods shed. The goods shed design was used at Wheatley and Littlemore and again at Malmsbury. and the station building at Aylesbury was the same as Hungerford I think he was engineer on these lines and took his designs with him.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/02/2022 at 14:08, David Bigcheeseplant said:

And also at Wheatley and Littlemore although both these goods shed that disappeared in the 1930s if not before. 

The living accommodation was only provided if there was a level crossing, there were crossing keepers cottages at Furze Platt and also Cores End. The crossing keepers cottage design was also repeated at Mill Lane on the Henley branch.

The engineer for the Wycombe Railway was Brunel, when he died Murray became the engineer and repeated the same design as the section to Maidenhead -Wycombe design on the Wycombe Thame extension. For some reason on the extension to Aylesbury and Oxford Murray was not used as engineer and a chap called Ward was, he used a different design of bridge, instead  a of using an elliptical arch used a square cornered arch. also the station building at Aylesbury was different and so was the goods shed. The goods shed design was used at Wheatley and Littlemore and again at Malmsbury. and the station building at Aylesbury was the same as Hungerford I think he was engineer on these lines and took his designs with him.

Ah, that makes sense, I must admit I hadn't made the connection with the living accommodation at the stations being for crossing keepers although as said they werre provided as stand alone dwellings at North Town and Cores End.

Interesting that the same engineer was responsible for Hungerford and Aylesbury as both Marlow and Hungerford were by the same engineer with remarkably similar results:

1914867859_Hungerford1905.jpg.9034e9bcc5cc4b4cef27a3b1ef9d288b.jpg

Hungerford

1427577762_CR-MAR22_BRW1421Marlow8-7-62.jpg.2750dacba06ebd278c315b5fcacc6be8.jpg

Marlow

Taplow was also reputedly the work of the same man and has obvious similarities.

Edited by Mike_Walker
  • Like 4

These are the original plans of Aylesbury goods shed that I own dated 1863, the design is different to the Wycombe-Thame section and are from when Ward was engineer the design was repeated at Malmsbury but in stone rather than brick and I think was also handed, but it does show that the engineer of the line took his designs with him.

I think this design was used at Wheatley and Littlemore as the roadside entrances are in the sides rather than the Brunel type which are in the ends.

goods 2.JPG

goods 4.JPG

goods 5.JPG

goods 6.JPG

goods1.JPG

goods 7.JPG

goods 3.JPG

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Next up is the water tank and coke stage, to be fair I don't know what type of tank existed at Wycombe although I do have the drawing of the one at Aylesbury from 1863 so have used this, I have noticed the same design was used at other broad gauge station and have seen photos at Watchet/Minehead and Taunton so I guess it was a pretty standard design of the 1850s/60s I would be interested if anyone can point me in the direction of other similar structures.

1.png

2.png

3.png

0395_001-1.jpg

0391_001-1.jpg

0393_001-1.jpg

0396_001-1.jpg

4.PNG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Although I will probably laser cut the tank, I thought it might be an idea to pop it in the printer and see how it came out, a coat of grey primer and it looks ok but will do a proper and better version for the layout but it does give a idea of the finished size and what it will look like as a rear model rather than a virtual one.

IMG_6189.JPG

IMG_6190.JPG

IMG_6191.JPG

IMG_6196.JPG

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

There's some great work here.

The early water tower at Wantage Road is of a similar design, but doesn't appear to have the coaling stage or some of the bracing. The drawing will be very helpful when I get around to it.

The goods shed is also roughly the same size too, but with one cart entrance around the back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As it seems photos have disappeared these are the latest images where I have added a few more details. I have now moved on to adding rolling stock and the first will be a Gooch 4-4-0 bogie tank, there where a few allocated to Wycombe in this period, and Homer seems to the one that gets the most mentions so that will be the one I will draw up.  

70.PNG

71.PNG

72.png

67.PNG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was thinking the best way to make GWR bulk road trackwork, I wanted something simple so have been playing with 3D printing track which has all the sleeper, rail packing etc., code 75 bullhead rail is then slid into the 3D printed bases, sections can be jointed together using fishplates on the rail which are hidden inside the printed bases.   

1.png

2.png

3.png

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 15/09/2022 at 14:04, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I was thinking the best way to make GWR bulk road trackwork, I wanted something simple so have been playing with 3D printing track which has all the sleeper, rail packing etc., code 75 bullhead rail is then slid into the 3D printed bases, sections can be jointed together using fishplates on the rail which are hidden inside the printed bases.   

1.png

2.png

3.png

Dave,

Very interesting. what maximum  flange depth do you end up with?

Have you given any thought to point work?

Mixed  gauge would be interesting too….

Regards,

Duncan

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 15/09/2022 at 09:04, David Bigcheeseplant said:

1.png

2.png

3.png

That's a reasonable representation of a bridge rail profile.  I thought the line was laid originally in Barlow though.  When did it change to baulk?   Is ease-of-laying the reason that you're trying this? (instead of using BGS bridge rail).

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...

Such a pity your earlier photos all went in the 'great extinction'.  I'm very impressed with what you have achieved with Fusion 360, especially with the rendering tools that I have not got to grips with yet.  Do you add additional texturing in photo-processing after the initial render?  I tend to tweak my images with Photoshop to try to achieve the effects I want.

• Friendly/supportive 1

the only things I add outside of Fusion is the steam and smoke effects everything else is done with the materials function in Fusion. For items that are painted in real life or have a texture like brick I use paper as the material then edit with an image or colour I require this may require scaling to get the bricks right but it works quite well. 

For locos and coaches I use paint then adjust the colour to the correct RGB scales. You can then adjust the shine or matt finish that you require.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1