Does anyone have any info on when and where?

shortliner

• RMweb Gold

How about "twisted rails near Nowy Sacz, southern Poland, Tuesday, June 8, 2010. Last week high waters of the Poprad river broke a raliway brigde after heavy rainfalls in the region"

Tony

g..gle that polish name and in news is the picture with the following caption

TWISTED TRACK: A railway worker walked along twisted tracks near Nowy Sacz, Poland, Tuesday. High waters from heavy rainfall distorted the track. (Marta Rybicka/Associated Press)

edit - in fact its on about 50 sites

• RMweb Gold

That is bit of a eye opener. Very lucky that there was not a train on the bridge at the time. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Sadly I think something similar in terms of bridge damage caused fatalities about 20 years ago on the Central Wales line. A heavily swollen river caused something called "scour" on the bridge supports and the first train of the day came to tragic grief. Nature is not to be taken lightly, and I believe civil engineers are well aware of the risks here.

Sadly I think something similar in terms of bridge damage caused fatalities about 20 years ago on the Central Wales line. A heavily swollen river caused something called "scour" on the bridge supports and the first train of the day came to tragic grief. Nature is not to be taken lightly, and I believe civil engineers are well aware of the risks here.

It was at Glanrhyd, between Llangadog and Llandovery, on the 19th October 1987 (http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docSummary.php?docID=397 ).

More recently, there were similar problems with a bridge carrying the line from Inverness northwards- in this case, there wasn't a train on the bridge, but services over it were suspended for some time.

Much of Europe, from the edge of the Paris basin eastward, has had some very heavy rain over the last week, with instances of 25mm of rain in one hour at Givors, near Lyon. A village close to my vineyard had a metre of mud and water flow down the main street.

When I first saw it I thought: tornado (they happen everywhere). That's a pretty steep hill (even allowing for telescopic compression).

I remember driving down I95 just passed Richmond, VA, a tornado had ripped up the tarmac off the road - powerful things, some of them.

Best, Pete.

Archived