Richmond, NER

11 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Not that surprising ;)

However, I think it fair to say that the NER designs on the whole did come close to the generic ideal!

A possible identity for a wagon representing that seen at the Richmond loading bank in the pre-1906 panorama, thank's to Nearholmer: Here 

Now, a moment of choice is upon me.  I am shortly to move house.  The new digs are a rather nicer version of what I have at the moment, but lack outbuildings. I have room for a shed, and I have to have a shed as I will need the storage space, so that is almost certain to come to pass as soon as it can be organised. Storage can be at a sub-baseboard level, however, so storage facility = space for a layout.

The question is which? I do not think that I can sensibly fit both an expanded Castle Aching and a Richmond layout in a single shed. 

There is a possible short-medium term fudge whereby both CA and a compressed Richmond can co-exit, and I am tempted to have my cake and eat it my restricting myself to finishing CA in its current footprint while slowly developing Richmond.  The expansion of either project would dictate a second shed, for which there is not really a good location. 

For the next month, I will be rather too busy organising the move for much else.

Good luck with it all :good:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Layout modelling is paused indefinitely until the new house is sorted, and the sheds are up, rigged with power and insulated.  I hope, soon, however, to be able to embark on work-bench modelling.  Currently I am planning some projects that I hope to start soon.

In relation to Richmond, what this means is that plans are afoot to address the question of appropriate motive power:

20220513_112220.jpg.2e8078a9845f340191d9eb299d59497c.jpg

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Erm - more than one Richmond represented here?

It's a case of C2C.

Wheel dia.            w/b

5’1½”                    8’ + 8’6”                NER Class C/C1 0-6-0 (LNER J21)
5’2”                       8’ + 8’6”                SE&CR C Class 0-6-0

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's LTS to me!

Indeed, but do we know why that is the name?  To me C2C means 'customer to customer', which doesn't make a lot of sense to me for a train operating company.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Indeed, but do we know why that is the name?  

"Sea to (shining) sea"?

"Commuters too close (for comfort or covid)"? 

Need a quick "cheer up" here!

image.png.aaee91bc10d31b6a5fd18cf7a39d44a0.png

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 8

The thought was that a Worsdell C1/C, with larger wheels than the Ps and regarded as a goods and mineral engine, was a reasonable choice for Richmond, rather than one of the smaller wheeled NER mineral engines.

I suppose a Fletcher Class 398 would be another possibility for the Bachmann chassis.

Anyhow, Parishioner Paul Sterling posted on the Oxford P2/3 thread about a J21.  I think he was thinking of using the P2/3 chassis or a Jinty or something.  So, I suggested the Bachmann SE&CR C as the closet RTR donor chassis for a J21 and he, rather brilliantly, drew up and printed a J21 body to fit.  Recently he kindly agreed to supply same to Yours Truly.

The thought is to span the years on Richmond with a brace of these. I shall attempt to use Paul's body with the Bachmann chassis and back-date to one of the compound locomotives, which were the vast majority of the class as built. This would be in Wilson Worsdell's green and represent the earlier period.

The other would be a black-lined simple (probably a re-built compound) to represent the later period.

Well, that's my excuse for being unable to choose between green (that I favour) and black (which is the most useful for Richmond's timeframe).  

John at London Road has kindly supplied his lost wax cast brass safety valve covers, which will be necessary also to back-date the G5 to Class O condition.  I do have one of the TMC models on pre-order, but it was probably the most representative class for Richmond at the time and it would not hurt to have two.  The question, then, is whether I can finish mine before the TMC release!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

The thought was that a Worsdell C1/C, with larger wheels than the Ps and regarded as a goods and mineral engine, was a reasonable choice for Richmond, rather than one of the smaller wheeled NER mineral engines.

I agree; a proper goods engine capable of working passenger excursions too. 

And who could resist a compound?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Coast to Coast walk goes through Richmond?

Not just through Richmond but through the station yard and along the line as far as the treatment works!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CKPR said:

More of us  have a Nu-cast O /G5 stashed away than we like to admit - mine is destined to become an 0-6-2T for a Waskerly shed diorama. 

Waskerly. I love the location and the shed buildings, so would love to see it modelled.

For me, though, the 1850s would be the period, because it should have been possible to see both the later Hackworth twin-tender classes, e.g. Derwent, together with the early conventional 0-6-0 tender engines.

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

2EF43AE3-20EC-4B85-B5CE-7F905AF00A3D.jpeg.bdc9f3e8ff1c3255bc25bcc4d7ae8f33.jpeg

It's hardly changed (!) - I was there last Thursday, taking the North London train to Kew Gardens, it being first out ahead of the District train. South Western Railway back to Earley...

Hamilton Ellis' picture shows the arrangement before the station was rebuilt by the Southern, with the Windsor Line platforms west of the overbridge but the terminus station where it is now. The terminus part of Richmond rivals Moorgate as a pre-grouping Minories, though one would have to model it in the late 60s/early 70s to do it real justice, with North London, Metropolitan District, Great Western, and even Midland trains.  

Edited by Compound2632
It's SWR now, no longer SWT!
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Not motive power for Richmond

Oh that thing got everywhere on test...

Just don't run two at once, even in different liveries - the fabric of the 4 mm scale space-time continuum will not take the strain.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 13/05/2022 at 16:07, Compound2632 said:

"Sea to (shining) sea"?

"Commuters too close (for comfort or covid)"? 

Need a quick "cheer up" here!

image.png.aaee91bc10d31b6a5fd18cf7a39d44a0.png

Something a bit like this......

949491591_HenryKingsLayoutJuly2013007.jpg.f79079260f081b3177088d604d4cfeeb.jpg

Built by me from the London Road kit but I chickened out on the painting, which is by Ian Rathbone.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Oh that thing got everywhere on test...

Just don't run two at once, even in different liveries - the fabric of the 4 mm scale space-time continuum will not take the strain.

Yes, the condition depicted by the model is 1909 onward, which would match the period planned for the Richmond layout, so a trial there before going to the CW&SLR might be not too cheeky!

EDIT: And, of course, that would foreshadow the LNER's use of steam Sentinel railcars on the branch.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

It's a touch later than you have in mind but MCR 24, an ex LSWR 4-4-5T, as made by both Hornby and Oxford, made it to Catterick in 1920. That would be exotic.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

It's a touch later than you have in mind but MCR 24, an ex LSWR 4-4-5T, as made by both Hornby and Oxford, made it to Catterick in 1920. That would be exotic.

Yes, complete with a Swindon safety valve cover! 

367034934_BeyerPeacock4-4-2AdamsradialTank01-Copy.JPG.6b509f567097aa064e07ce2c94fac118.JPG

Another plan of mine was a sort of diorama layout, just of the metal bridge (still there) put in for the Camp railway on 1915. 

85741500_CatterickBridgeovertheRiverSwalebuilt1915.jpg.fa31acca6af6bdb6c9535779f7818749.jpg

There was a nice trio of ex-NLR coaches and I think the period 1916-1921 would get me the Radial as well as the Beyer 2-4-0T.

826768242_Ex-NLRSet01.JPG.c5ead74543df714d9a1a8b4c8f90f42f.JPG

As it turns out, that diorama would pick up where the Richmond layout left off.  For Richmond I am thinking 1909-1915, as this gives me the locos for the Camp railway construction traffic visiting Richmond, but is before the new road past the station was put in in 1917.

Simon may have something to say about the Beyer Peacock:

1541553341_BeyerPeacock2-4-0TWDNo.9402-Copy.JPG.bb7fd7c34bf0490ed2c7fce9ff16499c.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Simon may have something to say about the Beyer Peacock:

They had lost their charm by then. Boring dome, smaller cab windows.

They had been a bit of a problem ever since they were bought (when the “Other Swindon Railway” ordered 3 but could only pay for one). Rather heavy and a tad lumpy at the back, they would have run well enough on decent permanent way, but the EWJR was mostly laid with materials recovered from the contractor, and it was permanent in so far as it stayed that way until the reorganisation into the SMJR had acquired the Northampton and Banbury, and robbed its slightly better (bullhead rail!) track for use on the EWJR “mainline”. It was still secondhand inside-keyed bullhead track, of a light weight, but better than the worn out (rusting away in places) indifferent track of the Erratic and Wandering Journey…

There was, it is rumoured, a story of one of these ending up in China, but not seen any evidence of it!

For those who wonder what the earlier version looked like:

spacer.png

• Like 10