R40162 class 43 DVT

virginhst539

Appart from the poor fitment issue with the glazing on the headlights as pictured, Has anyone else had issues with the head lights flashing on and off constantly on DC? No tried it on dcc yet but it does only seem to affect the headlights. 

There is also a high pitch sound emmiting from the unit in both directions when powerd applied

20220203_192528.jpg.c80a2a1ff90f0d80d4a6d0df43d40114.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Put mine on the track this evening noted headlights flashing but only high pitched noise when headlights illuminated, but the red lights were fine. Also noted body not level on the chassis ,front of loco rides higher than the rear. Will take it apart at some point and take a look hopefully a dcc chip will sort the headlights otherwise it’s going back.

Received mine today. No high-pitched sound when operating (DC) in either direction, but headlights do flash - albeit only on the mid-range of the voltage (I'm using a D Series Gaugemaster controller, they are fine between ~0-40, flash between ~40-50, and are fine again ~50-max)!! Go figure....!!!???

The paint colours on the HST DVT match really quite closely with those used on my venerable old model of 91010 (one of the original Class 91 Swallow releases from the late 80s/early 90s that I have a fondness for, as it was an Xmas present when I was about 10), and these two coupled either end of the rake of five R4282/R4282A blue/grey sleeper coaches that I bought because I took a fancy to them when they were released (and which have basically sat in their boxes ever since!) look a really good representation of the early test trains that were run when the 91s were first delivered. A nice length train to run on a modest-sized layout too, and something very different, so I'm very pleased with it overall! :D

Edited by scouse889
  • Like 1

• Tempfix

Just received mine. Pretty pleased too. Some of the same issues as mentioned above though - headlight moulding fit is very poor and there are decoration issues around the nose where there are gaps in the red band and the yellow as a result. Not sure whether the 43013 on the nose is supposed to be printed off centre or not - but it is on all I've seen. Nothing some modelling can't fix.

Tooling wearing out perhaps? My most recent 50 is very poorly put together compared to some of the earlier ones - the parts just don't seem to fit together very well.

• Tempfix

Two supplementary thoughts. First - and big apologies to Hornby for suggesting it was skew-whiff - I've found a couple of other pictures of 43013 that suggest the number on it's nose was both off-set and slightly wonky. Second, and possibly a bigger can of worms - the lower body side colour is different to my other swallow liveried power cars. In the picture below 43013 is on the right, coupled to one of the sound fitted TTS examples released a couple of years ago.

RMWB195.jpg.4f71452b183c7cbe412212c799aeff74.jpg

It's a subtle one, and I know we're dealing with the vagaries of lighting, camera etc - but it is definitely more grey and less cream.

Rich 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Papper said:

Second, and possibly a bigger can of worms - the lower body side colour is different to my other swallow liveried power cars. In the picture below 43013 is on the right, coupled to one of the sound fitted TTS examples released a couple of years ago.

It's a subtle one, and I know we're dealing with the vagaries of lighting, camera etc - but it is definitely more grey and less cream.

Thanks for the photo - very interesting. I meant to compare it with the R3944 buffer-fitted power cars released a couple of years ago but haven't had chance to do this. As I mentioned, it seems very close to the colours used on the original 91s that Hornby made and from the look of it the upper grey seems more grey and less green (and this also looks to be the case in your pictures). Didn't think about the lower bodyside colour though.... I actually think it looks pretty close to how I remember this livery..... wonder what the forthcoming 91s and Mk4s will be like?

• Like 1

Out of interest, how close to the original release of the power cars (43194/103) are both the main bodyside colours?  I'm minded that Hornby haven't really been terribly consistent in this regard.

Basically, I have a full rake in matching livery (took me ages to get the last ones!) and this, with the yellow across the windows repainted to match the sides, would give me a spare dummy car to run with it on occasion....

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, StuAllen said:

Has anyone else had to refit the sprung buffer? One popped out but I can’t see how they’re fixed to put it back

Never had one pop out of my HSTs but a few of my 60s have suffered this problem - so if the method for fixing is anything like the arrangement on the Hornby Class 60, there is a very small C-ring in clear plastic (I think, it's that damn small you practically need a microscope to see it) around the rear of the buffer which keeps it in the socket - and if you are unlucky enough to pull a buffer out the socket the little C-ring pings off across the room somewhere, never to be seen again....... I don't think you can get them as spares, never seen them unfortunately.

• 3 months later...
50 minutes ago, MoonM said:

Anyone know whether it is possible to swap out the buffers on these and convert into a more standard looking hst unit with usual front valance? Thanks

The buffer housing is moulded as part of the chassis, so might be possible but with a lot of work.