Bachmann loco chassis ID

Talltim

I acquired this chassis recently and I’m trying to ID it. It looks very similar to one listed as a Modified Hall on eBay, but I’m not sure it is exactly the same, the location of the rear sandbox looks different. The Bachmann Hall chassis is a completely different design.

E0185694-4146-4178-AB88-E2BE6647EB36.jpeg

2E91F2C2-9F6C-4F33-9A04-5CD29331A1CF.jpegBTW the mangling of the cylinders and connecting rods etc are not a problem, I intend to use it for something completely different, but I want a matching chassis for the project 

Edited by Talltim

It looks like a Modified Hall.  AFAIK Bachmann only did the Modified Hall and Manor chassis with that sort of cylinders.  Looks like a split axle one so the wheels will soon fall off unless you fit pickups between chassis sides and the backs of the driving wheels.  Our "New" old stock Mamor lost a wheel while running in within 15 minutes of being unboxed.  The old one is doing OK with wheels superglued in place andpick ups fitted.   Not Bachmanns finest. Maybe stick it on eBay and use a Hornby Hall 24mm / Grange 22mm/ Castle 25mm ( 3 different wheel sizes) chassis

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope you realise it's a split chassis and will likely suffer with wheel problems due to split plastic sections between the two halves of the wheelsets?

IIRC Replacement parts are available from Peter's Spares(?)

Not sure what the quality of the casting is like but the original Mainline version (with pancake motor) suffered badly from zinc pest on some.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby have done a Grange, but not a Manor, Mainline/Bachmann have done a Manor but not a Grange. (same size wheels but the Grange is larger)

Zinc pest/Mazak Rot is fairly widespread and not confined to one manufacturing country.

Theoretically it can't be called Mazak (or in the UK Zamak) as by having unwanted impurities, (mainly small amounts of lead) it does not meet the criteria for these trade named zinc compounds, of which there are several variations.