Power for Signal controllers

nhdesigns

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with a problem I'm having regarding signal control.

Basically I have two four aspect signals and another one with a feather that I have controlled using the heathcote electronincs signal sequencers but can't seem to get power to them. I have one with a feather which I have wired to my DCC power bus and linked to a point that works but I can't get the two seperate sequencers to work.

I think it's because I'm using the NCE power cab system, and it's not powerful enough to operate external devices. I am of course running these on a medium sized OO gauge layout with DCC as well using the NCE power cab system and have two DCC concepts slow action points wired to my power bus as well, if this also helps.

Would I need to have a seperate power supply fitted to control external things such as signal controllers? If so what voltage power supply would I need? I know these can run between 12 - 16 volts AC or DC but don't know which would be right since I have two sequencers and signals.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2022 at 00:38, nhdesigns said:

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with a problem I'm having regarding signal control.

Basically I have two four aspect signals and another one with a feather that I have controlled using the heathcote electronincs signal sequencers but can't seem to get power to them. I have one with a feather which I have wired to my DCC power bus and linked to a point that works but I can't get the two seperate sequencers to work.

I think it's because I'm using the NCE power cab system, and it's not powerful enough to operate external devices. I am of course running these on a medium sized OO gauge layout with DCC as well using the NCE power cab system and have two DCC concepts slow action points wired to my power bus as well, if this also helps.

Would I need to have a seperate power supply fitted to control external things such as signal controllers? If so what voltage power supply would I need? I know these can run between 12 - 16 volts AC or DC but don't know which would be right since I have two sequencers and signals.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I know nothing about these devices except for a quick search on the internet.

https://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/mas_sequencer.html

It clearly says that a separate 12-16 Volt AC or DC power supply is required. I would use a rating of 1 or 2 Amp, because one would supply them all.

If you look in the 'prices and ordering' section, they have 2 power supplies listed as suitable. Regulated 12 Volts DC @ 1 Amp or 2 Amp versions.

Despite the instructions suggesting AC or DC, I would go for a regulated DC supply.

• Like 2

As for your Powercab, it will not be selective about powering certain types of things. It will just reset when the current draw gets too much (or to be more accurate, the power supply will reset).

The Powercab does have a useful feature though: You can enable it to display how many amps your layout is drawing. The standard PSU can cope with about 1.8A.

Whenever I have enabled the ammeter, I have been surprised at how little current is being drawn.

This will not help to resolve your issue, but it is a handy feature to know about.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi

As with most electronics a stable Regulated DC power supply is best.

“Regulated” means the output volts remain constant regardless of load (Up to the supplies maximum)

There are loads of suitable power supplies available and eBay and Amazon are both examples. 

Look for those marked as CCTV or LED power supplies.  They come in various current rating and most with a moulded 2.1mm Barrel plug.

I personally would be obtaining a PSU rated at a minimum of 1.0Amp and perhaps consider a 2,0Amp. as this allows for future expansion.  Example...Link to PSU  Also always worth obtaining is a female adaptor for making onward connection to the layout much easier (also sold by this same seller).